Just ordered a Inspiron 1200 for a cheap laptop, hope it will be a good choice!

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys -

My Toshiba Satellite just bit the dust, wont turn on and if it does will freeze right away, gets really hot and fans go crazy.

So was in a frenzy to find a cheap replacement for class notes, online work, aim, some programming, etc. I have a desktop for everything else.

So looked online at all the deal sites, and didn't find anything worth while. Saw a 100 buck off coupon for a Dell Inspiron 1200(lowest end model). So i configured, its a 1.4 celly, 14inch screen(only way to get discount), 256megs(will be fine for just office, etc), 30gig, wireless card, cdrw. Started at 499, added the wifi card, hte warranty, and it was 607 shipped after taxes. No interest till May 2006. Approved me for 5k limit lol.

So should be here next week. Hopefully it will suit me fine.

What you guys think??

The 1200 is pretty well put together considering it's Dell's cheapest. I've only had 2 that needed repairs since they were released. This latest generation looks to be putting me out of a job unfortunately.

I just ordered one too. I got the one with the 15" screen and 512MB RAM, wireless card 50Gig drive 1.3 Celeron-M.

Not a bad deal at all for $550..$623 with shipping and 1yr warranty....

Met-AL said:
I just ordered one too. I got the one with the 15" screen and 512MB RAM, wireless card 50Gig drive 1.3 Celeron-M.

Not a bad deal at all for $550..$623 with shipping and 1yr warranty....

how did you get that one so cheap when i configured it i always had like 700 bucks shipped.

Model starts at 599 + 30 for wifi + 25 for 1yr warranty + shipping handling.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=i1200S3&s=dhs
Just ordered it last Saturday. I was looking at laptops all week and I saw it on Dell at least as early as Wednesday.

dell.jpg

Add a warranty for $25 and $48 shipping for the total $623.

For $150 over the cheaper model I figured was worth the 256MB RAM and bigger screen, but the CPU is 100mhz slower.

I read some reviews on the Celeron-M vs the Pentium-M and for what these laptops will be for they perform the same. But the Celeron-M does not have any of the speedstep tech enabled. Supposedly Dell has a BIOS option where you can turn the CPU clock down to 300mhz so the battery lasts longer.

yeah still cant get that price, i get a price of 673 when i do it, 50 in shipping 50 in tax :(

i wish it was only 623 lol.

hopefully i can just pull the ram out of my toshiba satellite and it will work properrly, then i will have 768 ;)

That is odd that you can't bring that up.

It only needs to be DDR333 RAM so hopefully you will be able to use it. Are the motherboards in these laptops Dual Channel Memory Bus?

Did you get yours yet marley1?

I got an email stating:
Dear Valued Customer,
We have reviewed your order. Although we had anticipated being able to ship your order sooner, we are experiencing an unexpected delay with your order ************** and will not be able to ship this order and any associated orders until on or before 10-14-2005.

Considering canceling the order... This is a far cry from "order it today and it ships tomorrow" when I ordered it on Oct 1st.

Met-AL said:
Considering canceling the order... This is a far cry from "order it today and it ships tomorrow" when I ordered it on Oct 1st.

Canceled. I was told the reason why the delay was because of a production error and the units had to be sent back thru for reassembly. WTF? I don't want a laptop that was "reassembled" because it was done wrong first.

got mine today, was actually up here 2 days ago just kept missing it, only took 3 days from when i ordered to i coudl have recieved it

Back