Just ordered 8800 GTX should I get another?

ReTiCuLeX

Gawd
I got a cc gift card for 1200bux from Granny, I ordered one PNY 8800 GTX, since they had no eVGA instock. Should I order a second one or will I be CPU limited with the Opteron 165 I just ordered for my current rig ? I do plan to OC the Opteron165 on Air (Xp90 HSF).

Thanks in advance,
- ReT

I am not aware of any game actually pushing a single GTX, so why not spend the money on upgrading your monitor or go C2D.

Gotcha lol. Oh as for Monitor, did that few months ago, I have a Samsung 205BW, I play everything at 1680x1050 native. That's why I really wanted a new card, to play without super low fps....with all settings on high lol.

Oh yeah, don't get another.. you'll be sittin pretty with just one of these bad boys. Have fun with it!

Besides the fact that you don't really need it... wait until you do... I'm sure they will be much cheaper then.

I say if you have the funds and you want it, then go ahead. Especially if theres nothing else at CC that interests you.

Wow only two people have instructed you correctly.

GO CORE 2 before getting another. Trust me. I only have 1 GTX, and I sore higher on E-penis mark 06 than people running SLI with your processor. (~12 K)

Just upgrade the mobo and processor insted of getting another GTX. IT will cost the same probably. Or less, depending on what stuff you get.

EDIT: you will need new ram if you get new conroe mobo, too.

er, advice was give based on the question asked.. I think most of it was correct.. I also think going c2d is on everyones eventual upgrade path for a gaming rig.. so anyways... it's sort of implied you should beef up the rest of your system before going SLI..

I would say if your cpu was clocked well (2.6+) you won't be limited by a single card. two maybe. but if all you're looking to achieve is epenis-2006 marks, then you might as well buy a x6800 for $1400 and a whole new rig. but in real world applications, you will be fine. turn the resolution and eye candy up and you will be just fine. don't be a nob that buys a whole new rig in order to get 500 3dmarks.

buffbiff21 said:
Wow only two people have instructed you correctly.

GO CORE 2 before getting another. Trust me. I only have 1 GTX, and I sore higher on E-penis mark 06 than people running SLI with your processor. (~12 K)
And the point of increasing a cpu-limited synthetic benchmark is. . . ?

By comparing your non-SLi performance to SLi based on 3DMark results, you're not excatly "instructing" this guy "correctly" either. The official 3DMark06 scores are at 1280x1024 which means that the video cards aren't being taxed much at all. So, yes, a new CPU makes a big difference in that situation but would have a much smaller effect in real-life gaming situations.

As for all those saying that they don't know any games that even tax a single 8800gtx. . . all I can say is that while many games I'm currently playing are totally maxed out and I'm still cruising along, they could always run faster. . . and there are a couple games out there that make even two 8800gtxes chug when all the eye candy is cranked up. Surprisingly, Caesar IV is one of those! :p

He got a GIFT CARD at Circuit City for $1200 .. he ordered 1 GTX. Circuit City doesnt sell anything like motherboards or CPUs so why not just use the rest of that gift card on another GTX since he cant use it for much of anything else for his system at circuit city. He can upgrade the rest of his system later if he wishes.

1200$ gift card?

Was it a huge novelty giftcard, ala 2million dollar checks that the lottary gives out :D

Unless you have a very beefy PSU, a ridiculously overclocked Core 2 Duo and run games at 2560x1600, I wouldn't bother.

Yeah I don't see the point really...prices will drop eventually.I'm running 2 gts in sli and it does everything very well. As I am space limited on my desk\computer room I only have a 19 inch widescreen lcd , so I turn everything up to max and its beautifull.I know c2d is supposedly the way to go nowadays and I am supposedly cpu bound, but I honestly have not run into ANY game or situation that slows this rig down.
I will upgrade eventually, mabye to conroe mabye not, but the path I always choose is the one that suits my needs, not the one that lenthens my E-Penis.

For the record, gpu bound computations would still see a significant improvement in performance with SLI, even on that system, in real games @ 1600x1200 on up.. with AA and AF cranked up.. so yes, there would be even more improvement with a faster system under the video sub-system, but still and all, it's not imperative that you upgrade everything just to get SLI.. That being said, I would be more inclined to go with two 8800GTS cards on a system like the OP's, better bang for buck ratio.

Also, I'm really gettting sick of using 3dmark for showing performance.. synthetic benching should be used to get a ball park figure, to see if things are working right after a new install or major reconfig, then gaming should be the real way to judge performance.. which is one reason I really like the way [H] evaluates hardware.. less bench more game. :)

ReTiCuLeX said:
Gotcha lol. Oh as for Monitor, did that few months ago, I have a Samsung 205BW, I play everything at 1680x1050 native. That's why I really wanted a new card, to play without super low fps....with all settings on high lol.
One 8800 GTX is fine for 1680x1050. Heck, I run 1600x1200 and everything is pretty much maxed out so 1080x1050, which has less pixels, will definitely be fine.

revenant said:
Also, I'm really gettting sick of using 3dmark for showing performance.. synthetic benching should be used to get a ball park figure, to see if things are working right after a new install or major reconfig, then gaming should be the real way to judge performance.. which is one reason I really like the way [H] evaluates hardware.. less bench more game.
I agree. They turned 3dmark06 into a lame-ass benchmark with the CPU scores being given a dedicated portion of the final score.

He got a GIFT CARD at Circuit City for $1200 .. he ordered 1 GTX. Circuit City doesnt sell anything like motherboards or CPUs so why not just use the rest of that gift card on another GTX since he cant use it for much of anything else for his system at circuit city. He can upgrade the rest of his system later if he wishes.
Umm..why not save up money? Just because you have money in your account doesn't mean you have to spend it all right away...

Its money he can only use at circuit city. Like I said, unless theres something else he might want from the store then he can just go get another GTX. Hes going to get one anyway eventually if hes thinking about SLI now. If it wasnt tied to a certain store, then I would have suggested he upgrade his CPU/MB/Ram first. He'll have to get a new PSU tho..

lmao. I just got home, the thread is cracking me up. I have a 580W Hiper PSU right now, think it could handle 2 8800GTXs? If not I'll just use the giftcard on something else I guess.

Ha.. you want us to help you spend your money, this is what you get. lol. ;)

yeah - go 850W if you can.... an 850 will be @ cruising speed @ full system load where a 750W will likely be running a bit warm.. depending on which one..

edit: this 750 would be kick ass. but many 850s are coming down in price now..

revenant said:
yeah - go 850W if you can.... an 850 will be @ cruising speed @ full system load where a 750W will likely be running a bit warm.. depending on which one..

edit: this 750 would be kick ass. but many 850s are coming down in price now..
I'd hold off on the PCP&C 750 or order direct from PCP&C and get the "Quad" version with the four PCI-E power connectors. I've got one and it's sweet. And for some reason, nvidia won't certify a PSU for SLi 8800gtx if it has to use adapters for the PCI-E power connectors (if that sort of thing matters to you). So, the "Quad" version of the 750W Silencer is SLi certified while the older version is not.

Maybe you can buy something on Circuit City and ebay it off so you can build a conroe system...

That CPU is good but Conroe is much better at feeding a 8800gtx... Not to mention you can overclock higher...

Im running 2 GTXs on a Silverstone Strider ST75F (750W) just fine. They run for about $150 or so.

Hurin said:
I'd hold off on the PCP&C 750 or order direct from PCP&C and get the "Quad" version with the four PCI-E power connectors. I've got one and it's sweet. And for some reason, nvidia won't certify a PSU for SLi 8800gtx if it has to use adapters for the PCI-E power connectors (if that sort of thing matters to you). So, the "Quad" version of the 750W Silencer is SLi certified while the older version is not.

Yes, but that's just a cosmetic detail.. with a single 60A 12v rail it'll easily get the job done and there will be no hunting down which rail to put what connector on.. anyways.. but if you can get the one with the four pci-e connectors that would make the install a bit easier/cleaner.

revenant said:
Yes, but that's just a cosmetic detail.. with a single 60A 12v rail it'll easily get the job done and there will be no hunting down which rail to put what connector on.. anyways.. but if you can get the one with the four pci-e connectors that would make the install a bit easier/cleaner.
Hehe, to me, it's worth it to get the SLi Certification since now, whenever I have problems, I won't get four or five know-it-alls posting: It's the power supply. It's not 8800gtx SLi Certified. :D

If you have a Circuit City gift card, buy the 2 8800GTXs, sell one, sell your Opty, mobo, and DDR RAM, and buy a Core 2, Socket 775 mobo, and some good DDR2 memory. Then you'll have a truly kick-ass system. As everyone else has said, one 8800GTX is plenty.

Goose <3 your info, I did what you said, except I came out not affording a 2nd 8800GTX. I did get a E6300 Setup though, with nice ram and mobo, new case, hd's 750w psu.

Back