JUST Ordered 3 XFX Black Edition 7970s From the EGG

Marcdaddy

2[H]4U
Hooray my wife would kill me if she knewe what i did LOL!!!!!!!!! I selected 2 day shipping too, i cant wait to put all 3 of these in my system with my 2600K @ 4800Mhz!!!

Newegg.com

ORDER CONFIRMATION

Print Page

Thank you for ordering from Newegg.com. Please print this page for your records.

A confirmation e-mail will be sent to [email protected] once your order has processed. You will receive another e-mail with tracking information once your order has shipped. Orders are usually processed within 1-2 business days. In the unlikely event that we anticipate a delay in your order, you will be notified via e-mail.

1/8/2012 3:24:04 PM

Billing Info Newegg.com Preferred Account

This order qualifies for Newegg.com Preferred Account's No Interest if paid in full in up to 12 Months on purchase over $500 promotion. Subject to credit approval. See Terms

Order Summary

Qty

Product Description

Price

Order #: 116609136(shipped via Newegg 2 Day)

XFX Black Edition FX-797A-TDBC Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video CardItem #: N82E16814150586VGA Standard Return Policy
$1,799.97($599.99 ea)

Subtotal

$1,799.97

Tax

$0.00

Newegg 2 Day

$31.06

Rush Processing (Preferred Account)

-$2.99

Rush Processing

$2.99

Order Total

$1,831.03

You should of registered with ShopRunner. Would of been able to get 2-day shipping for free. :p

LOL i was too excited and pulled the trigger! Now i gotta grab the $760 i got in my paypal account and sell 2 of my 3 6970s on ebay and the damage wont be so bad.

i've got a black edition coming too. what's the 'Ghost' business on the side of the card and on the box?

edit: zooming in on newegg shows the card says "Ghost thermal technology" on the side. must be their marketing name for the HSF.

Last edited:
damn you, out of stock now! I wanted one, thats what i get for going out to clean the pool to kill time :\

stop letting AMD know that people like you exist to pay these prices.

I'm not so sure about that heatsink. I don't see heatpipes or any mention of any type of vapor chamber either. I think I'll just wait and see... There's no way I'm buying a stock AMD dustbuster design though. Wish I knew when MSI, Asus, and Sapphire were planning to release non-stock heatsink versions.

man - my wife would be pissed if I spent like 500 on a computer part let alone 1800 lol ...
gl with the cards - want to hear how they OC and what can you push em too.

What kind of res and screens are you running?

stop letting AMD know that people like you exist to pay these prices.

maybe you should be saying that to all the people that payed 550+ dollars for GTX 580 3GB cards, then AMD wouldn't of had a reason to price it at 550 dollars, dee dee dee..

maybe you should be saying that to all the people that payed 550+ dollars for GTX 580 3GB cards, then AMD wouldn't of had a reason to price it at 550 dollars, dee dee dee..

the issue isn't what nvidia charges because they have always been ridiculous. AMD has been historically far more reasonable and I am silly and can't deal with this change!

Ya i dont mind the cost its one of my only hobbies and with the amount of money i have in my paypal account and im selling 2 of my 6970s and keeping one in a secondary pc for some BF3 goodness with friends Im not spending that much for 3 more. Ill start saving again for the next upgrade, Maybe Nvidia in a few months?

Congrats Marc,

It was painful for me to order two. I can't imagine what your mind was thinking of ordering three at day one. I was planning to do the 7990+7970 combo and put my spare 7970 in my GTX 280 machine. Also on a sidenote. Is it better to have three 7970 or one 7990 (if the performance is the same as the 7970 that is) and one 7970 combo? Strickly talking performance that is.

Are you talking single screen or eyefinity?

As of right now as a single 30 inch monitor (that's why I got two for now). But I plan to go multimonitor in the summer/fall. Just need to pay for it now instead of wait to the last minute and pay a premium later down the road.

Congrats Marc,

It was painful for me to order two. I can't imagine what your mind was thinking of ordering three at day one. I was planning to do the 7990+7970 combo and put my spare 7970 in my GTX 280 machine. Also on a sidenote. Is it better to have three 7970 or one 7990 (if the performance is the same as the 7970 that is) and one 7970 combo? Strickly talking performance that is.

Really depends on how the 7990 performs and oc when it comes out. Hard to tell before, unless someone else has more insight.

Single screen should be fine for a 7990+7970 combo. I do know that a lot of people on the forums have had problems with 6990+6970 in eyefinity. (stuttering)

Single screen should be fine for a 7990+7970 combo. I do know that a lot of people on the forums have had problems with 6990+6970 in eyefinity. (stuttering)

If by going by past experience, should I get three HD 7970s to avoid stuttering for a multimonitor setup?

Congrats and enjoy! As I figured, the non-reference designs are drawing a good price premium, the XFX Black has a $50 premium for the additional 75Mhz in over stock clocks.

If by going by past experience, should I get three HD 7970s to avoid stuttering for a multimonitor setup?

I'll let you know on Tuesday lol when my 7970's come in for testing.

I have 3 Powercolor PCS+ 6970s, im keeping 1 of them, They are factory Overclocked at 940/1425 and are pretty sweet!

So im really hoping i can play Witcher 2 with Uber Sampling, If i still cant i give up on that dream LOL.

Seriously, get shoprunner. I signed up for a trial for 30 days, and cancelled. About two months later they sent me an email with a free year of membership just to rejoin. That's a whole year of free 2 day shipping on 80% of the things on Newegg.

Seriously, get shoprunner. I signed up for a trial for 30 days, and cancelled. About two months later they sent me an email with a free year of membership just to rejoin. That's a whole year of free 2 day shipping on 80% of the things on Newegg.

I just wish shop runner had the overnight 3.99 option like amazon prime.

So im really hoping i can play Witcher 2 with Uber Sampling, If i still cant i give up on that dream LOL.

I turned on Ubersampling and didn't really notice any image quality differences. I think it is one of those things that gives you 1% benefit for a 60% performance hit. PC gaming is rife with those.

I noticed small differencs when i had it enabled, Im surprised no one has tried it yet ( reviewers ) Ill try it out first thing.

$1800 would be my entire budget for a complete build :(

You probably don't want to post your personal gmail address in here... that's just asking for spam bots.

What resolution are you currently running? I keep asking this but never get an answer.

Assuming you are running eyefinity, are you planning on switching to a 3x+ DP port non-reference card at some point in time to prevent tearing? Possibly adding that as quad-fire? Assuming Z68 motherboard with 2x 8x PCIe?

Can you post some temperatures on the crossfire setup, I want to know how well it cools with them being so close and sandwiched between each other.

The dual fans and along with an increase in voltage will let this kid run 1250 / 1550 ~ 1600 all day long. That's like 200fps in BF3 across 3 cards.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Very happy for him. Hell, I've screwed off 1,800 many times over in a variety of stupid ways.

Running 3 Acer 24 in monitors now but was looking at going 1 30in Dell, of course I'll post temps and benchmarks.

Back