Just nothing better then gaming on a huge screen

So I moved my main rig into my rack. Its now hooked up to my dual HDMI out Yamaha. I can game up stairs on my 50 or down stairs on 120inch dlp projector. There is just nothing that compares to a 120inch display. Makes you really feel like your in the game. I have played on triple monitor setups, 30inch 2560x1600 and 120hz display. I'll take the 120 over all of them. Now 120hz 120inch would be golden :). But the dlp is extremely smooth almost 0 (17ms) input lag and no ghosting. Has a very CRT feel to it (also use to have a Sony 24 inch CRT). For the money if you have the room I would recommend it to any one. Can pick up an Optoma like it have for 799 now days and make you a screen for little over 150. The bulbs are also cheap for 140 for 5-6k hours. I think projection is a great option for PC gamers now days.

I have an Optoma 23 DLP 1080p projector. While it is awesome to do 120" in games, the fucking "rainbow effect" is driving me insane. Had I known about that beforehand I would never have bought it. Once I started noticing it, it just became something that I could not stand. And drinking makes it even worse.

Sorry to hear your rainbow sensitive. If you get a new projector and want to stay dlp you will need to look for one with a faster color wheel. If not go with the Epson 5030 (lcd) with game mode. Most everything but dlp has a lot higher input lag and ghosting.

I'm using an Optoma HD131x and agree, huge screen gaming is ace, a different experience.
The only improvement I would make is to put my sofa further forward so the screen fills even more of my vision, but the floor space is needed sadly.
I see the rainbow effect at times but have trained myself to ignore it and accept that it will happen, not a biggie.
Other people dont see it at all.

Similarly, no ghosting and very very fast screen response.

The 131X does 120Hz at 720p and while its great smoothness, the loss of resolution isnt worth it.

I have the Epson 8700 UB it is a beast and doesn't mind ambient light a bit, the only problem is it goes through bulbs at 3 times the advertised rate... My next projector will be laser/LED based. I'm tired of spending $300 every year.

I had an Epson TW3500 UK (HC8100 US), the bulbs lasted around 700hrs before they started flickering and exploded not long after, releasing mercury vapour into the room!
Epson would only supply bulbs during the warranty period but would not allow returns.
I was forced to threaten the shop with court action and luckily got rid of the lemon.

The bulbs literally melt, droop and fail, Epsons promises that it was a bad manufacturer came to nothing when they later still had the same problem.
People who still have this projector now have to pay full price for a bulb that gives only approx 700hrs trouble free service.
I wont buy or recommend Epson again after this.

Looks like the problem wasnt just with one projector model.

In a nutshell this is why I have always liked 3x1 portrait setups. With modern displays, you get the benefit of 1920p and 120hz lightboost screens with minimal bezel intrusion @ about 40" And I'll tell you what, if this 39" 4k Seiki on my desk did at least 60hz I would be in hog heaven! 39" 4k on the desk @3-1/2 feet away is AWESOME SAUCE!

I have run many, many projectors in the last decade (DLP & LCD) but I always end up selling them after the 1-3 month honeymoon magic wears off. 1080p is just too small a res for 120" gaming unless your sitting 30' back.

I am eagerly awaiting real "affordable" 4k 60hz DLP projectors though! Gahhh, It seems like ages that we have been waiting for affordable 60hz 4k, but I know as soon as HDMI 2.0 controllers come out it will be a matter of limited time before the tidal wave of affordable 4k projectors hit market! 2160p should look really, really great on my lonely 110" screen!

Last edited:
1080p is just too small a res for 120" gaming unless your sitting 30' back.

My VPL-HW50ES begs to differ! I've never had an issue reading text in a MMO or spotting an enemy in a FPS. It excels at simulations however (flight, racing). My next projector will be 4K though so the experience will only get better.

I think depending on how technologies like the occulus rift advance, I may be moving my projector to movie only duty with a headset for gaming.

I can't wait for 4k dlp's.. But I think there still a few years off. Hope I'm wrong and its sooner. 4k true projector starts at 15k right now for a Sony :(.

I don't know.. I think playing 3-ish feet away from a 50 inch 4k display is going to be pretty equivelent to a 120 inch farther away...

1080p looks terrible on a 24" monitor, I couldn't imagine at 120 inches. ;)

My front row is about 11 foot from the screen and my back row is 17 foot. With 2.35:1 the front row is about perfect. With 1.78:1 it can be a little big. But the 1080p really isn't bad. At 11 foot you can't make out the pixels or anything. Think about 15 would be perfect but I could only have one row of seats then lol.

1080p looks terrible on a 24" monitor, I couldn't imagine at 120 inches. ;)

Speak for yourself, mine looks great at even 8ft.
My seating is 12ft away and it looks great there too.
My 27" screen also looks great at 1080p.
:p

What is so terrible for you?

I'll agree, 1080p gaming on 100" screen from 9 feet away is very nice on my Benq w1070. The trick though IMHO, for good gaming on a projector is get a good DLP model that spins the colorwheel faster so you don't get the dredded rainbow effect and lag shouldn't be bad on those models either.

I used to game on a 37" 1080p westinghouse for a while before getting a 1440p screen and the 1080p projector is a much better experience than gaming on LCD.

The Motion blur issues that LCDs have make 1080p seem like a low resolution and you might think 1080p up on a huge 100" or bigger screen wouldn't be good, but with a good projector, the contrast, the motion resolution and the immersion is great.

I could only think the Occlus or G-sync'd enhanced lightboosted LCDs can offer better gaming in the future but hopefully we start to get some g-sync'd projectors or cheap 3840x2160 projectors soon.

I don't know.. I think playing 3-ish feet away from a 50 inch 4k display is going to be pretty equivelent to a 120 inch farther away...
I have to lol really hard at this! LMAO....comon Houkouonchi you know better than that, don't you have a Seiki 4k? 4k on a 50" screen from 3' away decimates 1080p on a 120" projector from 12'-20'....absolutely destroys it!

I'm not trying to troll, but I think some of you guys need to get your eye prescriptions checked. At 12' back I could count every pixel on my Benq1070 if I wanted....and thats a DLP projector.. With LCDs I could count pixels 20' back @ 1080p.

FPS games like Battlefield 3 & 4 are woeful @ 120" 1080p as everything past 20 yards is low res...but I'm a guy that can't even tolerate 1080p on a 24" display so maybe I am superhuman!

Now with that said, there are some things that look better when they are projected at FIFTEEN FOOT ON A BARE WALL! (My old college projection setup from 2006)

Last edited:
I'd like to see an affordable 4K projector, then you could sit much closer to the screen and actually get a large field of view. If you sit 12 feet back from a 120" screen, it doesn't take up more of your field of vision than a 24" computer monitor on your desk viewing it at 2 feet.

Projectors are around so that multiple people can view the same image seated in rows, something of no concern to computer gamer's.

So I moved my main rig into my rack. Its now hooked up to my dual HDMI out Yamaha. I can game up stairs on my 50 or down stairs on 120inch dlp projector. There is just nothing that compares to a 120inch display. Makes you really feel like your in the game. I have played on triple monitor setups, 30inch 2560x1600 and 120hz display. I'll take the 120 over all of them. Now 120hz 120inch would be golden :). But the dlp is extremely smooth almost 0 (17ms) input lag and no ghosting. Has a very CRT feel to it (also use to have a Sony 24 inch CRT). For the money if you have the room I would recommend it to any one. Can pick up an Optoma like it have for 799 now days and make you a screen for little over 150. The bulbs are also cheap for 140 for 5-6k hours. I think projection is a great option for PC gamers now days.

hey, enjoy it for us that cant LOL :)

Guess I'm weird to prefer smaller screens, especially for games like Starcraft and MMOs. It's far too easy on a large screen to tunnel vision and not notice things like changes in your minimap / supply or when a skill comes off cooldown. Sure you can actively look (and you have to) but on a larger screen it's much more fatiguing due to having to shift your vision further. 23-24" is my comfort range on monitors.

Back