Just installed Win7 and accidentally deleted 50GB of music

InnocentNoobie

Limp Gawd
So I installed Win7 and am fooling around with it and am pretty happy with my $30 investment (student discount). I find, on the toolbar in the lower left, the "Frequent Windows Explorer" folder, and I think to myself that I can move all my music, videos and pictures into these folders. I move all of my music into the "music library" and then leave my computer because I know it will take so long to copy 50GB of music.

I come back about 20 minutes later and delete my music folder. It gives me a warning message that this is permanent. I double check my "Music Library" folder to see that everything copied over, and it appears that it did. I click continue, and my old music folder is deleted ALONG WITH MY MUSIC LIBRARY FOLDER! Holy crap I didn't expect that.

Apparently the music library is not it's own distinct folder but just a shortcut to another folder, in this case the one I deleted.

I don't have a restore point :(

Oh crap.

Run GetDataBack NTFS. If it hasn't been overwritten yet, it should be able to find deleted files.

Did you check your My Music folder? When you drag anything to your music library, the default save location for files is c:\Users\<username>\My Music

If it isn't there, then I would follow ryan's advice: GetDataBack NTFS

If you just "added to library", then yes, you have to uss recovery software. If you phyisically moved it, then it should still be in the my music folder.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

There's no such thing as a "Music Library" folder, per say. It's only logical.

Libraries in Windows 7 are simply logical folders that are a collection of real folders. If you click the arrow icons next to them, it will open up what folders are actually contained in the particular library.

By default, c:\users\user\music is one of the folders in the Music Library.

Back