Just installed S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for the first time, two questions

Sp33dFr33k

2[H]4U
Do mods work with the games purchased from Games for Windows Marketplace?

Is something like the STALKER Complete mod worth installing for my first play through?

Yes it should work. Yes I'd say so. Complete doesn't change anything for the worse.

I've never tried mods in a GFWM game, but as to the second question - yes. I, and many others, consider the complete mods to be an almost essential part of the game. I highly recommend them.

stalker has a bunch of gamedata files which contain the game resources. The mods essentially create a gamedata folder and replace many of the resources specified in the files. They do not make any system changes so GFWL should not matter. And yeah, the complete package makes the first game a lot better while keeping it the same. recommended.

First play it with Complete.
Then Oblivion Lost.
Then Pryboi Story.

Enjoy.

You just need to find where GFWM put your files.
Complete Mod has an installer that might just do everything automagically for you.
For the other mods, once you find the game files, you might need to change one entry from false to true and then drop the folder in.

http://www.tweakguides.com/STALKER_1.html

I'm not sold on the Stalker Complete HUD, myself. I just started playing recently too and I like some things about it compared to the normal HUD, but their font is too small for "# of enemies", ammo etc... I'd like to look into finetuning that font setting instead of completely reverting to the old HUD.

Thanks for the replies and information. Complete it is.

Looks like there's a 2012 version of Stalker complete coming out.

On my first play through i played with Oblivion Lost and it is one of the best gaming experiences I have had. Just completed CoP although I played this vanilla it is the most polished great game first one off he ba with a managable level of bugs.

On my first play through i played with Oblivion Lost and it is one of the best gaming experiences I have had. Just completed CoP although I played this vanilla it is the most polished great game first one off he ba with a managable level of bugs.

You know the part that made me a bit sad was that Pripyat without mods runs perfectly, never a single bug/crash in vanilla. But Reloaded gives me crashes after I complete all the quests before the pripyat tunnel :/. Gonna try some others like Complete and maybe SMRTER soon.

@ OP, Complete is great, makes the graphics much better and I am pretty sure nothing is changed other than graphics and bugs being fixed and of course the guns actually getting their names. Caution, do not use the teleporter! I used it twice, first time was great, second time I spawned in the middle of a massive bandit spawn point...I was dead within seconds :/.

And STALKER 2012 is by the same guy who makes Complete(Pavel), I am not sure if this is another major graphic/bug update or if it will add more content, so for now just play Complete first and then the other mods that were recommended :)

I'm in the same boat. I started with some img I found on reddit recommending the best mods.

I went with the complete mod and also one that made the guns stronger (it recommended playing on the hardest difficulty to keep the balance).

I really like the game, I'm just before the 3rd zone now, just moved from an AK74 to a longer barreled regular AK of some sort to a black AN94 I got off some army troops in a mission.

In case you haven't already, try playing the game with headphones and no distractions. The game is super immersive, I've been startled a lot playing it.

Do mods work with the games purchased from Games for Windows Marketplace?

Is something like the STALKER Complete mod worth installing for my first play through?

Yes, thats the first thing I did, install the complete mod! :)

I'm such a gear whore, I even ended up editing the game so I could carry more items I found so I could just stick them in storage chests everywhere hahaha.

Nothing like sitting in the bushes in pitch-black with night-vision on and having a guy bump into me - and die to a knife in the back.

Complete mod runs very nicely on my GFW copy. Just ran the installer, and I don't think I had to do anything else.

I've had STALKER for years, I have all three as a matter of fact (thanks to steam sales and prices too low to pass up when ordering from ++++) but have never played them. I've had Stalker Complete installed and ready to go for something like 18 months...

I'm finally making a concerted effort to play. My main rig is 1920x1200 on a NEC 2490 driven by a 560Ti. My second rig is 1280x1024 on a Viewsonic TN of some sort driven by a GTX260OC.

I haven't left Cordon yet and I find it hard to look at. As if all of the textures are harsh, over-sharpened, and using pixels larger than my native resolution. Fields of scrub, for instance, almost take on an appearance like blotches of random colour or a GPU artifact instead of looking like shrubs.

I spent a little time trying to optimize AA with the game and in my limited experience dwelling on detailed tweaking it appears that the best I can do is force 2xMSAA (might actually be CSAA, not sure) through nvcpl and keep outdoor minimum frame rates acceptable (30+ on the 560Ti). Transparency AA settings don't see to have any effect and going to 4xMSAA/CSAA or above results in noticeably frame rate problems. I think transparency AA would help immensely but it doesn't seem to do anything on this engine. Game settings are maxed everywhere.

I saw someone in this thread say that the great graphics only start after leading Cordon. Should I just live with it and move on or am I missing something in my "tweaking"?

Back