Just installed Cryorig R1 Ultimate, revving up and down a LOT. Issue?

Damn Dirty Ape

[H]ard|Gawd
I've never had a cooler like this one before, mainly intel stock , cooler master evo 212 and AIO.

I installed it with the supplied splitter to the CPU_FAN connector on my new Maximus IX Formula board and just in normal desktop activities (not even games), it is constantly changing speeds. It's quite noticeable.

I could understand in games yes, temps are in the 30's at idle.

Is this the way PWM works? A bit annoying compared to my almost silent AIO X61 NZXT.

it's just probably the motherboard applying a very aggressive fan curve based on CPU core temps.. I would try changing the fan profile and/or the fan curve first and then reseat the cooler if isn't making proper contact to the CPU it can cause several temp spikes causing the fan to increase the speed..

On a side note, why are you using the fan splitter? your motherboard have CPU and CPU-OPT Fan headers for cases like that. I always try to avoid as much as possible the usage of fan splitters.

Reactions: jtm55
like this
Thanks for the reply. I'm using the fan splitter because I have the phanteks enthoo evolv TG which has a pwm hub in it. They say to connect the cpu cooler to the cpu_fan and the pwm hub (which runs 3 other fans) to the cpu_opt.

At least that't what I'm told. I am going to check the seating later today. I used q-fan on the asus board, set cpu_fan to pwm and silent, minimum of 200 in the setup.

Back