Just How Much Do People Hate Windows 8?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you think just about everybody truly hates Windows 8, you may be surprised to find that isn't really the case. The number of dissatisfied customers is far less than one would expect if you believe all of the noise coming from the Internet over the initial release. A recent comparison was compiled using ratings from a sampling of 3K Windows 8, 7 and Vista users to obtain an overview of how each fared on rollout.

Windows 8 is indeed less popular than Windows 7, which has very high approval ratings. But it’s far more popular than Windows Vista, which was well and truly hated.

I don't know the actual figures yet after using Windows 8 for over close to two weeks, I've come to the conclusion it is on-par with Windows ME; except, without the constant crashing.

Oh so you mean lots of loud and repeated whining by a vocal minority doesn't mean everyone hates it? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I have 2 ladies who's home pcs I support, one is middle age, while the other is an elderly grandmother. There has been some leaning required but both have adapted well and neither hates it.

You grown men who can't adapt to change should really reconsider your role in supporting technology...

I do not hate windows 8. I just wish I could disable the overlay with the tiles and have a traditional start menu on it. Its useless without a touch screen. Vista was bloated and slow. I currently use windows 7, a worthy upgrade to XP. And I probably won't upgrade until I get a new computer. Windows 9 should be out by then cause even though my Gaming PC is 2.5 years old its faster than most of the new stuff out there. And even the newer video cards are only 20-50% faster.

Core i7 960 3.2GHZ
12GB RAM
AMD Radeon 1GB 6870
1TB Western Digital Black
OCZ 64GB Synapse cache drive w/dataplex.
Coolermaster 430 case with 800 watt generic PSU.

I can't say I hate it as it allows me to do everything I want or need to do without too many problems. I dislike the UI and think they could have done a better job with it.

Considering the more standard desktop and control panel are available, I thingk a lot of the dislike of 8 is misplaced. I do agree that the removal of the option for the standard Start button or classic shell support was a mistake (baring 3rd party programs).

I've always found hating on MS, or people hating on America, or people hating on Apple users to be more or less the same thing.
Except for hating on Apple users, that is totally justified. ;)

you hear it a lot here, because when microsoft gets mentioned the nerd rage for win8 here goes over 9000!!!

The Metro UI needs to be more customisable, and have an option to turn it off (without a third party app).

There I said it :)

Got it installed on 6 computers around the house. Works great and you don't ever need to see the tiles if you don't want to.

I don't hate the OS, I dislike the UI.
Exactly. A few minutes downloading and installing software - poof, your Windows 7 UI is back, including the start button. I do though, miss Aero Glass very much.

Having used 8 for a couple months now, I am quite pleased with it. Except for the gawdawful Fisher Price UI, it's a step up from 7. My wife actually prefers the standard Windows 8 interface, but then, she's not exactly a power user. :)

Hate is a bit weird but this is ebven weirder
If this were a political race, a 50 percent overall approval rating would be a solid base from which to start. In this product category, it indicates a product that needs some attention. Microsoft’s announced plan to release more frequent updates like Windows Blue, due later this year, gives it an opportunity to deal with some of the criticisms. But it’s uncertain whether Windows 8 can ever achieve the popularity of its predecessor, which suggests that Windows 7 will be around for a long, long time.

Why would popularity be important when so many key features of this attempt at an Operating System are so lacking to be honest writing an article about it is even somewhat of a waste then again , it is ZDnet they excel at these kinds of articles.

But hey it has some graphs sadly no pie chart that is my fave, so of al the useless articles on the internet about windows 8 I rate this article 5 STARS

Go Ed Bott !!

Oh so you mean lots of loud and repeated whining by a vocal minority doesn't mean everyone hates it? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I have 2 ladies who's home pcs I support, one is middle age, while the other is an elderly grandmother. There has been some leaning required but both have adapted well and neither hates it.

You grown men who can't adapt to change should really reconsider your role in supporting technology...

Pretty much my experience too. All my Windows8 customers have been fine. They really dont mind whats installed. Getting on fine with it.

The post is based on anonymous Amazon reviews, where it doesn't even have a verification that the reviewer purchased the item. Trolls + fanboys make those results worthless.

It might be complicated to actually figure if Win8 is turning off buyers. An aggregate of proportion of sales, return rates, and actual satisfaction polling of Windows users (like, "use win <current win>: happy y/n" "use win <previous ver>: planning/not planning on updating" "switching to another platform?", etc) between sets of XP/Vista, Vista/7 and 7/8.

Just become a few percentage of people ARE REALLY LOUD does not mean that their opinions reflect users in general. Most of these H8 Win8 things are just venting. (Disclosure: I really dislike Metro and have no plans to move to Win8 on a productivity system. I might use Win8 on a 7"-8" Atom tablet in the future if those are priced competitively vs an iPad mini.)

i will be fine with it once it has the option to disable metro, and brings aero back.

im fine with keeping ios on my ipad.

The Metro UI needs to be more customisable, and have an option to turn it off (without a third party app).

There I said it :)

That's reasonable. I can totally understand what you mean and I would like it to be more customizable and allow me to turn it off as well. I mean, if ALL my programs ran under Metro, there'd be some days I wouldn't even go to the desktop like on Saturdays when I just want to game or watch a movie. Too bad more people don't see it that way. Heck, the price was so good that it made it worth it to at least try it.

Getting kicked out of a game only to be notified that aero might be interfering with your gaming experience and every single time I click do not notify me again, yet it still notifies me every time I play that game. I do not miss aero. Windows 7 was a nice OS, but hearing people using aero as one of their chief complaints hurts my head.

Been using Win8 almost since release. There IS a bit of a learning curve, but I have yet to find anything (aside from gadgets) that I could do in W7 that I can't do in W8..... there's just a different way to access the feature/program. That being said, I do wish they would put the start button back, but there are third party programs to do that, I just haven't really found a need to install one....

-.-

Amazon ratings? Really?

Look, the simple fact that it have been rated 27% more times than Windows 7 doesn't tell you the obvious?

It is full of false reviews on both 5stars and 1 stars.

I will maintain my stance, if it is so awesome, why is it sucking at market penetration even with prices way below the prior Microsoft operating systems on average?

-.-

Amazon ratings? Really?

Look, the simple fact that it have been rated 27% more times than Windows 7 doesn't tell you the obvious?

It is full of false reviews on both 5stars and 1 stars.

I will maintain my stance, if it is so awesome, why is it sucking at market penetration even with prices way below the prior Microsoft operating systems on average?

Probably because Windows 7 is still doing everything anyone needs it to do, the economy sucks ass still so why spend money if you don't have to, and adoption rates are generally always slow at first as people wait to see how it goes.

Windows 8 is a fine OS, yes it still needs work and the whole Metro thing has been a major PITA for them so lets see what they do with that and then what their philosophy is for future updates.

I don't hate it. But as mentioned earlier, its more useful with touchscreens. I don't have any and don't plan on getting any for the foreseeable future. Most users make it kook like Win 7 so I figure; I already have Win 7 so leave well enough alone.

The simple fact is that if Microsoft didn't GIVE this system away with its $14 pricing, then it would already be dead and defunct.

Metro is a PlaySkooL OS, suitable for elderly grandmothers and 14 your old kids as one poster previously noted.

PC sales have been down for 24 months. The installed base of systems is larger than when either Vista or 7 were released. There are a few factors which would need to be adjusted to actually see how well or badly Win8 is doing. A simple "x was at y% z months after release" isn't directly comparable to a new OS release in a different market. You *would* be able to make such comparisons if PC growth and economic conditions had remained comparably stable.

But I think by expectations, Windows 8 and the entire PC industry in general, are lagging. Clearly Windows 8 didn't kick start a PC resurrection.

I think MS will have many troubles trying to move Win8 into business, but that's a separate problem which wouldn't be reflected much so early after Win8 release.

I don't know the actual figures yet after using Windows 8 for over close to two weeks, I've come to the conclusion it is on-par with Windows ME; except, without the constant crashing.

Please explain?

besides metro.......

I love these types of blanket claims with nothing to really say why it is like ME or Vista....

When it installs painlessly, does what you want, and finds drivers and accepts your programs ok.
Mix and match with W7 is a nuisance.
When W8 does not support older Hardware or Software. Blasted Stupid System.
I do wish it was as simple to do trouble shooting as 7.
No sound drivers for a HP COMPAQ CQ60-220US. Super pain to discover no fixes.

Of most of the "hate it" reviews I've read, the person didn't even give it a chance, basically refusing to learn how to use it. It took me all of 15 minutes to figure out most of it, as it is very similar to Windows 7 or XP in implementation. Granted, I learn faster than most, especially when it comes to logical/technical things, but I doubt it would take anyone an hour to learn it, if they gave it a chance.

Figuring it out on a touch screen is still giving me a bit of trouble. (I have a WinRT tablet, which is basically the same interface.) I haven't figured out how to "right click" with a finger gesture on the desktop to bring up item properties or the task manager. I really don't see how this is supposed to be a "tablet interface" when I can't do so many things with the touchscreen. It's far easier to use with a mouse.

When it installs painlessly, does what you want, and finds drivers and accepts your programs ok.

That sounds an awful lot like HP's fault. I have a Compaq laptop from the earlu Windows XP days, and later I tried to install Vista on it. As with yours, the sound wouldn't work. I found out after some research, Compaq built this machine with a certain off brand sound chip from a company that was near to going out of business. After the HP merger/takeover, HP actually asked the company to NOT make Vista drivers for that chip specifically so that they'd have to buy a new laptop in order to upgrade.

HP does this all the time, intentionally. They go out of their way to use off brand hardware so that they can discourage driver development and force people into getting new hardware.

They also design in failure points into their laptop motherboards and desktop power supplies to fail after 3 years, and even stick with non-standard power supply form factors and pinouts specifically to push people to buy new machines. The motherboard thing backfired on the with the NC6000, when the boards started failing hand over fist while they were still under warranty. It cost them a bunch. At my employer at the time, we replaced every single motherboard within 6 months. We saw the exact same sequence of events with the NC6220, NC6400, and elitebook 6910p, all of the same line. While the Dells we had from before the switch to HP were all still going strong, over six years later.

This is what happens when unethical, incompetent executives run a company. Don't blame MS, they don't write the drivers. Blame the maker of you hardware.

Just about all reviews that are truly negative are by people who gave the OS maybe 1 day or in some cases only used it for 30 mins with the mind set of criticize everything that isn't exactly the same as windows 7. Saw hating windows 8 was hip posted crap on it to get traffic, just a giant circle jerk.

Fudge windows 7 is so praised but everyone here knows it's vista with a slightly tweaked default UAC transparency and window snapping. Microsoft essentially sells us a full price os for a service patch and because people were too busy hating vista they didn't realize all the people who got swindled. Why do you think microsoft is going to push windows 9 or w.e. Same deal take all the complaints windows 8 hate fix them ship a new os under a new name, get positive reviews. It's just dumping a bad name for a clean name.

Look up drivers based on the Hardware ID. Unless HP is really being a dick you might be able to find something. Hell i found audio drivers for a 2007 dell laptop that is now running windows 8.

I am sticking with Windows 7 till Windows 9 with start menu back sure I get this.:cool:

Windows 8 is flop as well even you like Windows 8 that is fine but not for me.:rolleyes:

I just want real, true desktop environment out of my PC.:)

PC sales have been down for 24 months. .

Down by ~10%, that does not explain the "lower than vista" adoption rate.

BTW Windows 8 only really brings powerup/down speed increases, if your mobo didn't already support enhanced hibernate states. Performance has been shown to be just around par with windows 7.

http://www.techspot.com/review/561-windows8-vs-windows7/page4.html

So yeah, if Windows 7 is Vista with a nice skin, Windows 8 is what? Vista for toddlers? -.-

Most users make it kook like Win 7 so I figure; I already have Win 7 so leave well enough alone.

Most of the tens of millions of Windows 8 users make it look like Windows 7? If I were a betting man I would have to say that this probably isn't the case.

Back