Just How Much Do People Hate Windows 8?

Yeah, Windows 8 is so great they have to write articles telling people it isn't as bad as they think. That makes it all better.

I installed StartIsBack about 3 minutes after my first windows 8 install. Haven't seen or even thought about the tiles since. Isn't [H] a modification/customization community anyway? What's with all the 8hate?

I think Windows 8 is great. Performance is top notch for anybody who has a SSD.

Dissatisfied customers seem to imply they bought it first.

How about all of us who aren't going to drop money on something we know we'll hate.

That's like saying, very few people who bought our turd sandwich didn't like it, therefore it must be good. No, it just proves some people out their like eating turds.

Ran it for nearly three months. The experience was buggy with random system crashes, bluescreens, and graphics driver resets. Moved back to Windows 7 and not only did I get rid of the awful Not-Metro UI, the system became rock stable again, even when using the exact same video drivers. It also booted slower than Windows 7, probably because I disabled the storagehogging and utterly useless hibernation. And I'm thankful I never had to deal with wireless with Windows 8, as when I did plug in an old adapter to see how it worked the awful Metro-esque wireless configuration was just painful. I had more stability issues running Windows 8 than Windows Vista, though less than XP in 2001.

As for right-clicking on touchpads, I still prefer the simple "two-finger click" on my MBP. Been using that since the option became available years ago. Hold-clicking to do the same task and having a system that ignores you're using a multi-touch pad for one of the most common tasks is just stupid. Maybe when you're on a device that can largely only consume media, like a phone or tablet that is workable, but on a computer where the alternate click is heavily utilized it just doesn't make any sense, regardless of environment.

I ran into windows 8 recently, client bought a laptop, called me telling me her touch screen didn't work... got there was running win8 with all the tile crap, looked at the laptop, explained to the customer that the laptop didn't have a touch screen... to which she asked "well then why does it look like my phone?"

"thats a great question!" I responded

Sup peeps,

So, I just ordered Win 8 and saw this thread, lol. I'm guessing I'm going to have to return it? I mean, I thought there was a way where you could skip on the tile BS and make Win 8 look and be used like Win 7? If not then I'm going to have to send it back.

I hate it and won't buy another Windows operating system until they fix metro/modern. By fix I mean giving us a way to avoid it entirely. The biggest problem I have is them forcing us to a touchscreen UI on the desktop, where it's not wanted or needed. I also don't want or need phone apps on a powerful desktop computer. There are some that want those things, so giving a choice would fix this whole mess, but MS is too arrogant to do anything that makes sense like that. Due to that, I'll keep running my 7 copies of Win 7 as long as I need to.

If it were just a "vocal minority" that disliked Windows 8, don't you think sales would be better? Hmmmm....

Hmmmm, got me thinking that maybe I should just return it and get Windows 7. Save me $135.

No, that's why you install Classic Shell.
Except when this starts getting rolled out to the larger/slower companies, such 3rd party software won't be allowed for many people.

If found that people who use their computer for a media portal probably are mixed about it but can learn to live with it. People whose jobs are working on computers for others love it because they are board to tears looking at the same old same old.

But people who use their computer as tool to accomplish their jobs which are not directly related to computers see it as nothing but a definite hit to productivity in the short-term. And potentially a hit in productivity in the long-term. All for zero gain in the long-term. I see a lot of claims and attempts to make the case you don't lose anything in Windows 8. I see a lot fewer claims that I gain something from Windows 8 wrt productivity.

Myself, I constantly hop between documents. I frequently have a half-dozen instances of excel open, three or four powerpoints open, an e-mail program open, a browser open, and some mix of obscure software, word documents, pdf documents, etc.

I'm often transferring data between these documents and much of the time its easier to unmaximize them and put them next to each other or overlapping somewhat. But now, if I open a PDF with Windows 8's default viewer I'm taken away from that environment to a full screen. Now I have to hop full screen to full screen. Or, full screen to desktop. Maybe it can be defeated. But I can't install my own 3rd party software. Maybe there's a setting. But now I'm taking time to search the internet for some setting that will allow me to window the default PDF viewer, if it possible.

Getting kicked out of a game only to be notified that aero might be interfering with your gaming experience and every single time I click do not notify me again, yet it still notifies me every time I play that game. I do not miss aero. Windows 7 was a nice OS, but hearing people using aero as one of their chief complaints hurts my head.

Never saw something like that even on a AMD Athlon X2 4200+ from 5+ years ago.

Hell, even on a P4 2.4GHz that didn't happen at all. What kind of ancient hardware are you using?

And yes, I miss Aero Glass. It was nice on the eyes.

But now, if I open a PDF with Windows 8's default viewer I'm taken away from that environment to a full screen. Now I have to hop full screen to full screen. Or, full screen to desktop. Maybe it can be defeated. But I can't install my own 3rd party software. Maybe there's a setting. But now I'm taking time to search the internet for some setting that will allow me to window the default PDF viewer, if it possible.

It's fairly easy to fix this but the idea it needed to be done in the first place is beyond ridiculous.

jpm100 said:
All for zero gain in the long-term. I see a lot of claims and attempts to make the case you don't lose anything in Windows 8. I see a lot fewer claims that I gain something from Windows 8 wrt productivity.

I also agree with you on why switch? I am always seeing articles as to why it's just like 7, honest! Well great, I already have 7, and it didn't cost $40/99 extra to get it.

Just ordered it... Wish me luck :p

I've decided I think I can probably be more efficient without start or metro.
Could be wishful thinking.

W7 is starting to give me driver and update issues so I'm keen for a change.

I ran into windows 8 recently, client bought a laptop, called me telling me her touch screen didn't work... got there was running win8 with all the tile crap, looked at the laptop, explained to the customer that the laptop didn't have a touch screen... to which she asked "well then why does it look like my phone?"

"thats a great question!" I responded
LOL, that's a great story. I'll have to tell my friends at work. That's right up there with the broken cup holder (CD Rom tray).

I've had it for about 2 months now. It's fine for me. I got a new laptop and paid $15 for it and I like a lot of features on it better than Windows 7. No crashes, no Bluescreen errors, and I really appreciate the built in ISO support and 7 second boot times.

I don't have a touch screen, just an advanced touchpad, but honestly the start screen doesn't bother me. The only thing that bothers me are the Windows 8 specific touch screen gestures that don't seem to make logical sense.

The complaints about crashes lead me to believe that people likely have hardware that isn't getting proper Windows 8 support from the manufacturers. It reminds me of the issues people had with Windows Vista, that I've never had.

Well fuck.....what to do now. Some of you say it sucks( Due to Metro interface) and others say its stable and reliable. I'm looking more for the stable and reliable part of an OS and can care less about a metro interface. What 3rd party software is out that can make all the BS interface go away? I've searched with no luck.

This discussion is so tired. If people like it so much, why is it necessary to constantly tell people how much other people don't hate it?

like everyone else, adding something like startisback makes it just fine, its like an updated Win 7

on the surface pro metro is ok, but with a mouse and keyboard, its useless

MS needs to either let people choose or keep 2 OS's one for tablet and one for PC, i dont know why its so hard to them to have an option on install to ask if you are installing on a tablet or a pc with mouse/keyboard

APRIL FOOLS! Everyone hates Windows 8!

haha, good one guys!! Best April fools joke yet!

This discussion is so tired. If people like it so much, why is it necessary to constantly tell people how much other people don't hate it?

People like to justify and seek approval for their purchases by selling the benefits to others. It helps them feel better about what they've spent their money to obtain. Haven't you ever seen someone showing off their new something or other to someone else and thought about how silly it looks to see a bunch of fat old guys huddled around someone holding up his new toy like it's a part of grade school show and tell? Of course, for everyone that is proud or is seeking approval, there's someone else to naysay for a variety of reasons that mostly go back to fundamental psychological needs satisfying behavior. It's just human nature, don't get too worried about it.

Well fuck.....what to do now. Some of you say it sucks( Due to Metro interface) and others say its stable and reliable. I'm looking more for the stable and reliable part of an OS and can care less about a metro interface. What 3rd party software is out that can make all the BS interface go away? I've searched with no luck.

Classic Shell will bring you the good old Start Menu.

About being stable and reliable, well, nothing can beat a tested and proven OS like 7 is already. Win8 needs some time to get there like all new OSs.

But let me tell you that I've had no issues at all with Win8 on all the machines I've installed it. Some people seems to have a lot, but for me it was as simple as downloading updated drivers - some were for Win7 - and presto. Many of these machines I've installed it - for family and friends - were not brand new at all, like notebooks that are 3+ years old and rock Win8 just fine.

I guess you should buy it if you get a decent price, if only to try it.

All I know is that I gave the Win8 Developer Preview a whirl on a VM instance and felt either confused or utterly disgusted by what I encountered. The childish-looking 'art' upon start-up, the depressing colour scheme, unintuitive 'features' such as the slide-in menu bar on the Desktop's right side and the idiocy of full-screen start menus and applications everywhere on a bloody desktop system... After I finally managed to figure out how to shut down the VM instance from within Win8 itself I haven't looked back since aside from poking at a few Win8 laptops in stores the past months.

My new laptop I'm buying in a few days will have Win7 installed on it. All Win8 can do is make me less productive.

Because there's a loud, annoying, and above all incompetent group of idiots who can't figure out how to use a new interface and had been screaming bloody murder from day 1. Hope that answers your question.

on the surface pro metro is ok, but with a mouse and keyboard, its useless

I arrived at the same conclusion. My XPS 12 with Win8 is among the best laptops I've owned, and the new touch friendly UI works wonders with it. If there's a decent screen with touch capabilities on it, I'd like to give it a go with using it on a desktop. Win8 on the desktop...not so much. UI is tough to use without a touch screen. Oh, and no live tile for Outlook, but a separate mail application for the new UI? What the hell!

startisback...its 1$ per pc, ive bought 10 keys so far, poor family that bought new laptops at best buy or future shop to find a retarded metro UI in front of them... lol

The majority of the users out there are just casual users. They don't give a shit what OS they use as long as they know how to use a web browser and know how to check their email. Show them how to use Mac OS, Linux or Windows 8 and they'll be fine because they don't know any better.

Power users and experts on the other hand are a different story. They dig in to the nuts and bolts and fully realize when something has been changed for the better or for the worse.

You need to determine where you fall in these categories to know what the affect of the changes with Windows 8 will have on you.

Because there's a loud, annoying, and above all incompetent group of idiots who can't figure out how to use a new interface and had been screaming bloody murder from day 1. Hope that answers your question.

I am glad we have eliminated the possibility of people just not liking it. If you don't like it, you must be useless. Good to know.

I don't know the actual figures yet after using Windows 8 for over close to two weeks, I've come to the conclusion it is on-par with Windows ME; except, without the constant crashing.

Why?
I've been using it for 6 months or so now and find it to be quite better than 7.
Very stable, better UI overall. Not leeps and bounds difference over 7 but overall a nice bump up.
It really seems that most of Win 8's critics, have not really used it, or were not able to get to the desktop from the metro UI.

People. Just move the desktop tile to the upper left hand spot. Then when you see the Metro screen hit the enter key once and... then you are straight to desktop. Seriously, 1 keystroke and Metro is gone. Now why was that so hard?

People. Just move the desktop tile to the upper left hand spot. Then when you see the Metro screen hit the enter key once and... then you are straight to desktop. Seriously, 1 keystroke and Metro is gone. Now why was that so hard?

Because you still need to interact with it at some level. Weather it's launch applications, searching, etc... at some point you're forced to use it.

That's why StartIsBack is so great. You can literally set it up so you never see Metro again.

Because you still need to interact with it at some level. Weather it's launch applications, searching, etc... at some point you're forced to use it.

That's why StartIsBack is so great. You can literally set it up so you never see Metro again.

You mean the Charms bars? I don't have a problem with those at all. I am OK moving to the top right corner instead of moving to the bottom left corner for the old start menu. I do wish the restart/shutdown was better integrated into the Charms bar though.

I treat the Metro screen as a screensaver. Hit Enter and the screensaver goes away and I'm in big boy desktop mode.

You mean the Charms bars? I don't have a problem with those at all. I am OK moving to the top right corner instead of moving to the bottom left corner for the old start menu. I do wish the restart/shutdown was better integrated into the Charms bar though.

I treat the Metro screen as a screensaver. Hit Enter and the screensaver goes away and I'm in big boy desktop mode.

No. I'm fine with the charms bar. I actually sort of like it. Wish it was possible to pin live tiles to that so you have the ability to still use metro apps via the desktop. It would make a great replacement to desktop gadgets.

I have literally never been forced to use metro other than to click the desktop.

you really didn't spend enough time with the OS as it comes from MS, anyone who uses words like "forced" in reference to metro most likely never gave it a chance and are still bitching about a feature they never intended to use.

No. I'm fine with the charms bar. I actually sort of like it. Wish it was possible to pin live tiles to that so you have the ability to still use metro apps via the desktop. It would make a great replacement to desktop gadgets.

The Charms bars fault is that users need to know about it. Otherwise its a secret. Having a start button was a good idea, cause as long as you can read, you know where to start. In Ubuntu its the all running apps button, and in mac moving to a corner does something. None are essential, but nice ways to get things done quicker. In Windows 8 it's essential. There's a reason other OS's dont make this activation an essential function.

Shortcut keys are quicker for those who know about them, but never remove the edit cut or paste menus.

startisback...its 1$ per pc, ive bought 10 keys so far, poor family that bought new laptops at best buy or future shop to find a retarded metro UI in front of them... lol

Awesome, I'll look into that. Thank you

Classic Shell will bring you the good old Start Menu.

About being stable and reliable, well, nothing can beat a tested and proven OS like 7 is already. Win8 needs some time to get there like all new OSs.

But let me tell you that I've had no issues at all with Win8 on all the machines I've installed it. Some people seems to have a lot, but for me it was as simple as downloading updated drivers - some were for Win7 - and presto. Many of these machines I've installed it - for family and friends - were not brand new at all, like notebooks that are 3+ years old and rock Win8 just fine.

I guess you should buy it if you get a decent price, if only to try it.

I ordered mine about 4 days ago from Amazon($135 Win8 Pro System Builder DVD) and seeing what everyone was posting I thought to myself "Damn it". Since you've had some luck though with your installs, I'll try it out and then get "Startisback". I'm installing this on a Macbook Pro so on top of the issues some are having adding Mac into the mix might also bring some problems.

Back