Just How Much Do People Hate Windows 8?

Of most of the "hate it" reviews I've read, the person didn't even give it a chance, basically refusing to learn how to use it. It took me all of 15 minutes to figure out most of it, as it is very similar to Windows 7 or XP in implementation. Granted, I learn faster than most, especially when it comes to logical/technical things, but I doubt it would take anyone an hour to learn it, if they gave it a chance.

Figuring it out on a touch screen is still giving me a bit of trouble. (I have a WinRT tablet, which is basically the same interface.) I haven't figured out how to "right click" with a finger gesture on the desktop to bring up item properties or the task manager. I really don't see how this is supposed to be a "tablet interface" when I can't do so many things with the touchscreen. It's far easier to use with a mouse.

Right click on tablets is usually replaced by "click and keep pressing" just fyi.

Btw there is another issue there, they do not differentiate between a tablet input and a touchpad input, gesture wise, which makes it a real PITA when your laptop is touchpad based with Windows8.

Once I made it look like windows 7, it was great lol

AFAIK, it is Win7 with fk'd up default interface.

Stupid. No purpose to upgrading.

Hey! Billy and Friends:

If we buy Windows PROFESSIONAL, give us a switch to turn it into a work machine. Nothing hidden, allow us to tamper with it easily.

Win8-Pro was a move in the wrong direction.

However, I did find that it runs legacy 32-bit apps as well if not better than Win7-32 Pro.

Waaaaaa..................... Just keep feeding the hate 8 train, it has to keep going and not die out. :D

I do not hate windows 8. I just wish I could disable the overlay with the tiles and have a traditional start menu on it. Its useless without a touch screen. Vista was bloated and slow. I currently use windows 7, a worthy upgrade to XP. And I probably won't upgrade until I get a new computer. Windows 9 should be out by then cause even though my Gaming PC is 2.5 years old its faster than most of the new stuff out there. And even the newer video cards are only 20-50% faster.

Core i7 960 3.2GHZ
12GB RAM
AMD Radeon 1GB 6870
1TB Western Digital Black
OCZ 64GB Synapse cache drive w/dataplex.
Coolermaster 430 case with 800 watt generic PSU.

I have the 128GB Synapse cache drive and it works great. I just wish they would produce the dynplex software that would support GPT.

Right click on tablets is usually replaced by "click and keep pressing" just fyi.

Correct, and this is how is worked with Windows 7 tablets on the desktop as well and is common input metaphor on all major touch OSes these days, tap and hold.

Btw there is another issue there, they do not differentiate between a tablet input and a touchpad input, gesture wise, which makes it a real PITA when your laptop is touchpad based with Windows8.

Actually there are differences when using touch pad compared to a touch screen in Windows 8. There is generally no concept of "tap and hold" with a touch pad. The common equivalent action would simply be right clicking the touch pad. Another common touch pad action for right clicking is double tapping. Neither of these touch pad actions map to a touch screen action in Windows 8 that I am aware of.

8 is faster than 7 on newer hardware, but i do not like the interface. have to use a third party program to get the start button back, etc (custom ui or such)

Hence why you click desktop and boom its gone. Too hard for some people...

The problem, is that they FORCED it for reasons that are only beneficial to them, not us. I dont mind the idea of metro, i fucking cant stand that they forced its use.

Windows 8 is super simple:
1) Customize the Start screen to have the icons on it you want by pinning and unpinning items
2) Use the desktop for everything else

Suddenly, it's just like Windows 7 but with a fullscreen Start menu.

Most of the tens of millions of Windows 8 users make it look like Windows 7? If I were a betting man I would have to say that this probably isn't the case.
I was referring to the forum members, not the whole world. Like I said, I don't hate it. I just don't see the need to move to it right now.

Windows Hate: Problem solved: -

People don’t like change, when it makes them worse off. Microsoft should produce a Windows 8 update, which has a UI experience configuration application, where users can tick a number of boxes in order to activate the things that they liked about Window 7. This is a much better idea than having an external application where users complain about what they don’t like about Windows 8.

(It is good to have touch screen UI there. One day, most monitors will come with touch screen.)

I was referring to the forum members, not the whole world. Like I said, I don't hate it. I just don't see the need to move to it right now.

Fair enough. And as much of a Microsoft fanboy as I get called I've said from Day One of the public release of the Developer Preview of Windows way back in September 2011 (wow, Windows 8 is getting old) that for those Windows users only interested in desktop usage that Windows 8 doesn't have a lot to offer.

8 is faster than 7 on newer hardware,

Don't bet the farm on it.

When you dial in Win7-Pro, either 32 or 64 bit, it boots faster than the default Win8 on identical hardware.

Here's waaaaaaa.... hat people don't understand:

THE COMPUTER FOOD CHAIN:

1) Application software. You can do anything faster with good instructions. Computer or not. If you want the best of the best, it doesn't run on Windows anyhow.

2) Hardware. A necessary evil. It doesn't actually get any work done, it just makes application software run faster.

3) Operating System. Pragmatically, it is necessary. It makes it cheaper to develop applications. But not everything uses an OS. An operating system allows programmers to build programs faster and easier. There is nothing to stop you from writing your own application code from the bootstrap up. It's been done many times.

Many folk see it in the opposite direction. But that's not how it goes.

The Killer App has always led the way. A program that does miracles will create hardware to run it, and they will make the O/S suck it's dick.

Windows is #1 because of MS Office. Don't kid yourself. And Windows has always been tweaked for Office.

If Microsoft released Office For Linux, it would be game over for Redmond.

Ubuntu 10.04 is far better than any version of Desktop Windows.

Windows will die. They are just keeping it alive as long as they can. It is not superior to OSX or Linux or Unix. It just has saturation and Killer Apps.

indeed there is a desktop option for a reason.. all those people with no touch interfaces have no reason to be whining over a feature not ment for them. But that is blunted as MS itself made the choice to try to bury the desktop feature and trump up the touch interface as the only innovation worthy of noting.

Windows Hate: Problem solved: -

People don’t like change, when it makes them worse off. Microsoft should produce a Windows 8 update, which has a UI experience configuration application, where users can tick a number of boxes in order to activate the things that they liked about Window 7. This is a much better idea than having an external application where users complain about what they don’t like about Windows 8.

(It is good to have touch screen UI there. One day, most monitors will come with touch screen.)

I spent several thousand dollars to put touch 1920 monitors on our multi-display workstations.

3 years later? Nobody touches the screen.

WHHHAAATTT????:eek:

The FASTEST interface today between a human and an computer is still the keyboard. Not the mouse, not the digitizer tablet (remember those?), not voice,

Someday, the keyboard will be obsolete. But in 2013, it ass-rapes any other form of input by an order of magnitude.

With me, it's all about getting the most work done per hour. We are paperless, we have multiple large monitors, we have good hardware.

Win8 has so far increased the time it takes to finish a job.

Now, if you play Space Ninjas and need HD pron streams, and need to touch the digital nipples, sure. Win8 is your thingy. But it ain't worth a broke dick as far as efficiency.

Ubuntu 10.04 is far better than any version of Desktop Windows.

Sweet! Then everyone everywhere can just install Ubuntu and never miss a step and everything will work, all the hardware and apps will just keep on working only better.

I think the whole Windows 8 debate tends to show light on why Linux on the desktop has had its difficulties.

Win8 has so far increased the time it takes to finish a job.

Now, if you play Space Ninjas and need HD pron streams, and need to touch the digital nipples, sure. Win8 is your thingy. But it ain't worth a broke dick as far as efficiency.

I'm curious how it isn't more efficient for day to day office use. The desktop is the same thing as Windows 7 so how can it be less efficient?

In the beta I had installed on a VM I did not really care of the Metro UI all that much as it did not flow very well with my mouse and at the time wasn't really completed or "live".

On my Surface Pro I really like the interface. I definitely wish it was more customizable, I hate installing a program and having to remove a live tile from there etc but minor issues.

I also wish the F keys by default were the traditional functions. They have the charms menu for a reason, I really do not need shortcuts to anything other than "search" thank you.

On my desktop I am perfectly happy with Windows 7 still, however there are aspects of 8 that I wish I had so I will eventually upgrade. When I do I will simply configure it to boot to the desktop like normal and only use the Metro UI when needed.

I think with another generation the UI will be a good thing. I remember how many people I knew hated the 95 interface after traditional windowed Windows that predated it... After a little use most people really came around to the positive change. This needs some tweaks and fine tuning for non touch screen devices but overall in my opinion it is a good thing.

That's what you get when you ask a bunch of people to quantify something they don't understand.

The only redeeming quality of Win8 is that I don't have to buy it yet.

Hey, it has tiles though, just like your cell phone. So it must be good. They have literally made no improvement in the function aside from ISO loading. Everything else about it is worse and I have to spend ten minutes setting up so I can even use it.

I'm curious how it isn't more efficient for day to day office use. The desktop is the same thing as Windows 7 so how can it be less efficient?

They moved stuff around. It's still there, but they need to find it. They will eventually get the same efficiency.

Will they get better efficiency? No. They run application software.

So I just pay for the lag during the adjustment phase.

It does nothing for us that WinXP-Pro did not.

What productivity improvements have you seen with Win8?

With a touch screen(and classic shell) its a good system. With a laptop and no external mouse the side bars that randomly show up and take over your mouse and randomly pop in menus make the OS unusable...

I hate the bugs in 8. On a Domain there is lot of little quirks that I need to make provision for retardo OS. The OS is unbearable with out a start button replacement.
I would have been happy if they removed start all together just give me a search on my taskbar.

I think 7 search is light ages better then 8.

Honestly dont see why there is such a big backlash by some users in regards to Windows 8. Most people that have complained about it have either used it for 1 day and gave up, or are just following the crowd and hating on an item without giving it a chance.

I rarely use the metro menu, but do enjoy the small enhancements that have been added to the desktop side of things. Other than that it runs and performs exactly like windows 7 so i don't see what the fuss is all about. Sure its not a huge leap in comparison to windows 7 but that wasn't expected anyways.

No start menu? big deal, install Pokki (or any of the many replacements) which is an excellent enhanced start menu. If you are so bent over the concept of installing an item that should already be part of the OS, simply customize the metro start menu, its very customizable and lays out applications and such in a much more pleasant manner.

Dont like metro? DONT USE IT. 1 click of a button and you are back to the desktop with NO requirement to go back to metro

Cant figure out how to turn it off? Google is your friend if you hate exploring a new OS.

Honestly any other argument that I have seen is just plain silly.

Like anything new in life it takes a little bit of time to adjust but once you figure out the new quirks, operating Windows 8 is a breeze.

[H]exx;1039755313 said:
Forgot to mention that I've been using it for 2 months now. Make sure you get an i5 or better processor or else!

Other systems to note (to show I'm not Win bias): 27" iMac, 2 MacBook pros, Win7 laptop, Win Vista desktop, a Win2k3 server, and some RHEL servers. The macs and servers are work systems. I spend most of my time in OSX and *nix.

ugh, more BS, you don't need an i5 or better for windows 8.! unreal what some people will say.

Honestly dont see why there is such a big backlash by some users in regards to Windows 8. Most people that have complained about it have either used it for 1 day and gave up, or are just following the crowd and hating on an item without giving it a chance.

I rarely use the metro menu, but do enjoy the small enhancements that have been added to the desktop side of things. Other than that it runs and performs exactly like windows 7 so i don't see what the fuss is all about. Sure its not a huge leap in comparison to windows 7 but that wasn't expected anyways.

No start menu? big deal, install Pokki (or any of the many replacements) which is an excellent enhanced start menu. If you are so bent over the concept of installing an item that should already be part of the OS, simply customize the metro start menu, its very customizable and lays out applications and such in a much more pleasant manner.

Dont like metro? DONT USE IT. 1 click of a button and you are back to the desktop with NO requirement to go back to metro

Cant figure out how to turn it off? Google is your friend if you hate exploring a new OS.

Honestly any other argument that I have seen is just plain silly.

Like anything new in life it takes a little bit of time to adjust but once you figure out the new quirks, operating Windows 8 is a breeze.

How much more work are getting done per day?

Computers are a tool.

Is a Win8 a better tool than a Win7?

No. So STFU. You love change for the sake of change, be it good or bad.

Actually that's about what I expected.

Also, Amazon reviews to not constitute scientific analysis.

Hence why you click desktop and boom its gone. Too hard for some people...
No, that's why you install Classic Shell.

I've been using Windows 8 since it was released. I don't really have a problem with it but the only new feature I really like is the reduced startup times. Both my desktop and notebook boot up in less than 15 seconds now, finally making good on the promise that they made years ago with "instant on" technology. My PC can now beat my xbox 360 in a startup race.

The new "modern UI" still needs some work to be relevant on anything other than tablets. More and better 3rd party support would really help.

I hated it at first but when I realized most of my time is spent on the desktop, I really didn't miss the start button. Once you rearrange the icons on the start screen with what you really need (cmd, control panel, computer...etc) it's almost like using previous versions of windows.

[H]exx;1039755313 said:
Forgot to mention that I've been using it for 2 months now. Make sure you get an i5 or better processor or else!

Other systems to note (to show I'm not Win bias): 27" iMac, 2 MacBook pros, Win7 laptop, Win Vista desktop, a Win2k3 server, and some RHEL servers. The macs and servers are work systems. I spend most of my time in OSX and *nix.

What ? Why an i5 or better? The Ivy Bridge Celerons are retardedly powerful. Im using one as a 4 tuner DVR. It compresses video at 50% realtime, and plays Bioshock: Infinite at 720p/very low on integrated graphics. I started with an i7 then an i5 and then a 2 core i5 in my mac mini and finally the Celeron 1610. When using them in daily tasks, there is no difference between the i7 and the Celeron. The only time i can tell the difference in processors is when im encoding video or playing games.

Vista SP1 was a great OS and I would run it every day of the week over Windows 8.

Face it. Win8 PROFESSIONAL is not.

It is not geared towards professionals.

So far 24 Server 2012's.

I have 8 VMs of Pro

So you loose.

I'm not trying to be mean spirited, but it's hard to conceive that a person that makes the extraordinary amount of complaints that you do about something is winning.

Back