Just how bad is putting my HTPC on top of my sub?

The Lurker

Fully [H]
I have a space problem in my apartment and the lack of space in my TV stand has forced me to temporarily relocate my HTPC out and on top of my Onkyo sub near the TV. Right now the PC is sitting on 5 - one inch sections of silicone hose to insulate it from the vibration. After running the crutchfield bass test at moderate to high volume I could feel vibration coming through the outside of the case. Even though my drives are rubber mounted (nmediapc 6000 case, IMHO I think its BS) I am still worried that it may be bad for the drives. Granted, we dont listed to anything near to the volume levels and intensity that came from the test I still have concerns.

The PC has 3 drives, Cable Card Tuner and a Raid card. All of which generate a lot of heat and it was causing issues inside the TV stand. I am happy that it has a lot of fresh air outside the stand but worry about the longevity. Personally I think its fine but I have minor OCD when it comes to these things.

What are your thoughts?

Why risk it? Surely you can find a better place to put it than on top of the sub.

Retarded question was retarded. :(

I got a space problem. Guess ill have to figure something out.

Retarded question was retarded. :(

I got a space problem. Guess ill have to figure something out.
We all have our moments.

Can you create an upside U stand for the tv to allow for the htpc to go under it? Like the top section of this stand:
images

Or perhaps hang it from the ceiling by the power cord?

Good suggestion but given the height of the TV stand now if I build a platform the TV will be too high.

I gotta shuffle some stuff around and see what I can do.

I figured out the arrangement last night, I wound up moving stuff that was using up space in the stand somewhere else which opened up room for the HTPC. Its not ideal because it leaves a lot of unused space in the stand. In the end it got the HTPC off the sub and WAF has increased.

I have my PC right next to my sub-woofer. Keyboard/mouse range was terrible (maybe 2-3 feet) of course due to EM interference. I dug an old Logitech USB extender I had from years ago out of a box and now my receiver for my keyboard/trackpad is on top of the entertainment centre. All is well.

Speaking of interference. I gotta make another thread.

I'm just whoring up this subforum lately.

I cut out big holes in the back of my tv stand, and it improved the air circulation a lot. I had these thin wooden sheets and I cut generous-size holes from side to side at the top and at the bottom. So hot ait escapes from the top and fresh air enters from the bottom.

Back