just had my fiber installed.. amazing!

doox00

2[H]4U
Took 5 minutes to download fallout 4, 24 gigs. weeee!

5455016012.png

steam-download.jpg

Attachments

• 5115831856.png
    5115831856.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
back in the day, I used to go to my friends house to use his cable internet to download from Napster. It took 2 years from the time they got cable till it was available in my area.

Woah that's awesome. I have fibre here too but it's "only" 50/30. Still happy with it though, I never thought I'd actually see the day where we get it here. Before that the only option we had was DSL. Well there's cable, but it's capped, so kind of pointless.

Congrats! However, I think I may have the best sob-story here. I'm 29 years old, just for reference, and grew up loving tech and playing games online and haven't really stopped. Unfortunately, I grew up in a rural area where 14.4k, 36.6k, 56k were my staples while my buddy always had cable. I had two 56k modems (which only negotiated a connection at 36-40k each, btw) bonded just to get a bit of a taste of that sweet broadband nectar. Didn't get broadband until 2005 (college) and even now I'm only able to get up to 50mbps down and 5mbps upload. /cry

15-20 years later and I'm still aching for some even better broadband speeds. I'm jelly of your pipe, that's for sure.

I barely use a 1/4 of that anyway like most people.. don't be lash out because you are jealous.. its okay :)

It's not jealously its pity. Your ISP is retarded for offering 1000Mbit down and only 10Mbit upload. What's worse is they offer the same 10Mbit up on the 100Mbit package. It's like having a Ferrari that you can only drive in a cul-de-sac.

Nice! What's the bill though?
When Charter upgraded STL to Spectrum, we got a free 30Mbps -> 100Mbps boost though I usually get around 130Mbps (of course with a paltry 4Mbps up) for only $44.95/mo. :D

Its 100 bucks a month, 100 down and 10 up is 50 a month.. which is all I would need but figured wth, lets try gigabit.. probably should not have.. now if I ever sell my house and move I won't be able to live with anything else haha.

Woah that's awesome. I have fibre here too but it's "only" 50/30. Still happy with it though, I never thought I'd actually see the day where we get it here. Before that the only option we had was DSL. Well there's cable, but it's capped, so kind of pointless.

I'd rather have your speeds than the 1000/10. 30Mb would be nice. Two friends on Plex kills my upload. I have 100/10.

Your upload is a joke compared to your download. What the F is up with that shit upload?

I'm not too far away from Delton! Where are you from and what provider do you have?

Your upload is a joke compared to your download. What the F is up with that shit upload?
Like the upload really matters. For the average consumer anything over 5 is useless unless you are streaming or actually have a need for the upload speed.

Unless you're paying a shitload, you're not getting >10Mbps upload. @ My old job they pay $2500/mo for 100/100 Charter.

Like the upload really matters. For the average consumer anything over 5 is useless unless you are streaming or actually have a need for the upload speed.

Nope ... that is not a fact. Upstream bandwidth is necessary for many more purposes. Its ok if you are trying to justify having so little upstream bandwidth but in a real network environment that is awful. If you are just playing world of warcraft on your 1gbps connection then you are paying too much money already for far far far far oversubscribed internet connection. Its not about need... its about the fact that you should have it. Who should have the power to dictate what you NEED and don't NEED based on what? someones profit margin? I remember when the internet wasn't based on how much money can we make on this imaginary bandwidth limitation that was completely fabricated out of thin air for profit. I remember when you paid for internet and you got internet and you got unlimited everything. This is a relatively new game we are forced to play. Bandwidth is nothing more than electricity moving through and down copper and light down fiber. As long as the power plants make it there are GOBS of it available. Flame away. I am pro symmetrical isp speed whilst so many are hunky dory with their rip off plans being asymmetrical. If we voted with our dollars we would have top tier internet speeds everywhere. Japan doesn't play this idiotic game of well give you a gazillion download but an infinitesimally small upload speed. God forbid you might run a server. They would have to charge you $5000/mon then, wow look at the revenue we are losing with imaginary bandwidth.... like people in China buying canned air from Canada. Yeah go look it up.

But I am not trying to troll in anyway. OP!! Wonderful download speed. I am just pissed at that company dicking you over with a crappy 1% upload ratio. You are only getting 1/100th upload speed. That is shameful. That is all I am saying.

Unless you're paying a shitload, you're not getting >10Mbps upload. @ My old job they pay $2500/mo for 100/100 Charter.

Yes but this is residential internet. Google FIber is doing 1g/1g .... There is no reason to NOT give a resident an equal u/d connection. None at all. Not like they are going to be hosting Amazon.com on it and if they were I am sure it would be prohibited in terms of service agreement. I would love to actually be able to SKYPE while my son is gaming, my wife is watching netflix, and my mother visiting is listening to sonos in the guest bedroom and I am sorry 10mbps is not concurrent with contemporary requirements in medium to large family households.

Nope ... that is not a fact. Upstream bandwidth is necessary for many more purposes. Its ok if you are trying to justify having so little upstream bandwidth but in a real network environment that is awful. If you are just playing world of warcraft on your 1gbps connection then you are paying too much money already for far far far far oversubscribed internet connection. Its not about need... its about the fact that you should have it. Who should have the power to dictate what you NEED and don't NEED based on what? someones profit margin? I remember when the internet wasn't based on how much money can we make on this imaginary bandwidth limitation that was completely fabricated out of thin air for profit. I remember when you paid for internet and you got internet and you got unlimited everything. This is a relatively new game we are forced to play. Bandwidth is nothing more than electricity moving through and down copper and light down fiber. As long as the power plants make it there are GOBS of it available. Flame away. I am pro symmetrical isp speed whilst so many are hunky dory with their rip off plans being asymmetrical. If we voted with our dollars we would have top tier internet speeds everywhere. Japan doesn't play this idiotic game of well give you a gazillion download but an infinitesimally small upload speed. God forbid you might run a server. They would have to charge you $5000/mon then, wow look at the revenue we are losing with imaginary bandwidth.... like people in China buying canned air from Canada. Yeah go look it up.

But I am not trying to troll in anyway. OP!! Wonderful download speed. I am just pissed at that company dicking you over with a crappy 1% upload ratio. You are only getting 1/100th upload speed. That is shameful. That is all I am saying.

I agree with you, it is bs they are only giving 10 up.. but sadly that is the best you can find in most areas outside any major US city it seems. Best I could get before was 4mb up with charter.. I have never had an issue with just the 4mb up but I agree it should not be capped to shit like they do but for me its never been an issue.. and 10 up will be fine for my wife daughter and I. I am just happy as shit with the down.. now we can have multiple steams going and some downloads at the same time without any hiccups. :)

Fiber in my area at a local school I tested, 700mb up and 700mb down. Its different at some parts of the day, but most of the time its blazing up and down.

I'm not sure how many network geeks we have on this thread, but if you are actually pulling 1000mb down, then the syn/acks alone could eat up that 10mb upload. So no, it's not enough.

I would love to actually be able to SKYPE while my son is gaming, my wife is watching netflix, and my mother visiting is listening to sonos in the guest bedroom and I am sorry 10mbps is not concurrent with contemporary requirements in medium to large family households.

The 4Mbps we get with Charter works fine for us, and I've got 2 kids who are both online a good portion of the day.
Unless I'm missing something, your "needs" for the most are almost all downstream limited and have nothing to do with upload. Wife with Netflix and mother with Sonos? Downstream. Skype is not going to eat a lot of upload and while gaming will eat more than most, it's still probably going to only eat a portion.

I probably use more upstream data than most people, being that I run SSH and also SFTP and VNC over SSH in to my systems while I'm outside of the house. When I'm gaming, I routinely get pings around 60-70 playing games while the other 3 people in my house are online doing stuff (including playing games online themselves). But of course YMMV.

Do I think it's time that providers "get with the times" and loosen the reigns on the upload caps? Damn right I do. Do I expect them to do it? Not really.

Yeah - well - enjoy your mediocrity. Ya'll started by posting a bragging thread about your download speed and then you guys don't expect to be "commented on" about the blatant corporate theft that you are being cock slapped with.

I'm not sure how many network geeks we have on this thread, but if you are actually pulling 1000mb down, then the syn/acks alone could eat up that 10mb upload. So no, it's not enough.

Very True Even Rogers in Canada which offers Gigabit now has it at 1000/50, 10 Mbps up is not enough for syn/acks alone on a 1000 Mbps connection. And to me even 50 mbps up is not enough 1000/100 should be the minimum on a 1Gbps connection.

i'd rather keep my 100/10 connection than have 1000/10 the extra cost doesn't seem worth it for a connection so unbalanced.

But don't let us rain on your parade enjoy your connection. It just wouldn't be optimal for some of us.

Very True Even Rogers in Canada which offers Gigabit now has it at 1000/50, 10 Mbps up is not enough for syn/acks alone on a 1000 Mbps connection. And to me even 50 mbps up is not enough 1000/100 should be the minimum on a 1Gbps connection.

i'd rather keep my 100/10 connection than have 1000/10 the extra cost doesn't seem worth it for a connection so unbalanced.

I upgraded to my 100/10 Cable connection mainly for the upload. It was the "5" in my old 50/5 that was the bottleneck. I would have been happy with a 50/10 or 50/25 if they were options.

I'd rather have your speeds than the 1000/10. 30Mb would be nice. Two friends on Plex kills my upload. I have 100/10.

Yeah I'm glad I have half decent upload. I hate how most ISPs screw you on that, I also hate how they all seem to have the "no servers" rule. Even mine does. :/ Why can't they just give us symmetrical speeds, and option to get static IP blocks, and allow servers. I'd even pay extra for that. I'm already paying a leased server provider anyway.

But don't let us rain on your parade enjoy your connection. It just wouldn't be optimal for some of us.

this... i find my 200/20 cable connection much more useful...

I barely use a 1/4 of that anyway like most people.. don't be lash out because you are jealous.. its okay :)

I've had Centurylink's gig fiber for more than a year now. When you can use it to its full capabilities it's truly epic. I've have some Steam downloads top 100MB/s which is as awesome as it sounds. But Steam doesn't just immediately flood your pipe with that speed, it steadily ramps it up until it either hits the limit of the connection or (far more likely) hits the limit of the server. But for pretty much anything that isn't Steam most of the bandwidth sits unused. UPlay & Origin downloads are around 40MB/s and anything coming off of Amazon's cloud seems to top out around 25MB/s. For 90% of what I do with it that means most of the bandwidth is sitting idle most of the time. The real hotness of the gig internet (which you will pay dearly for if Google isn't threatening to move into your area, btw) is that it comes with no cap. As it stands I am using it most of the time for YouTube, Netflix & online games. Except for the downloading of the games in question I doubt that gig internet is a real "need" for me. But it sure is nice to have.

Okay, a download at 90 megs (approx) a second (far cry primal) I am using less than 1 meg a second of upload.. Twitch is also streaming on another pc during this.

Attachments

• ratio.jpg
    ratio.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 18
I have had fiber internet for over 5 years at my home and it has gotten cheaper and faster over the years staying on the base speed. Started at 50/50 then got 100/100 and now at 250/250 with the option to go 1gig/1 gig for $30 more a month. Base price is $65 for the 250/250. Love the mirrored speed and the uptime fiber gives. With UTOPIA it is city network ran and has a variety of isps to choose from and price is the same amongst the options. Nice to have variety and options on the fiber as each ISP has its own perks.

Thats blazing speed there OP.

With my 175/10 cable, I dont know how often I use up the down. 2 kids that game and upload vids takes up a lot of the up.

Mine was updated to gig down and 100 up instead of only 10 up, was just there about a month ago, weeee

back in the day, I used to go to my friends house to use his cable internet to download from Napster. It took 2 years from the time they got cable till it was available in my area.

Back in the day we would bring our hard drives to a friend's house to copy files. I know those 56k feels.

I remember actually using p2p over dialup, I actually downloaded large files too, over the course of weeks. Basically would pause it, and resume each time I'd dial in. I even had set it up to auto dial on Sunday while we're at church. Was a safe point where I know my parents would not be trying to use the phone and could get a couple solid hours of downloading. Ugn I don't miss those days, having to fight to be able to use the phone line lol.

Reactions: rma
like this
Back