Just got my RMA Replacement from Maxtor

KillerButler

Limp Gawd
I RMA'd a Maxtor drive and just got this one today. I can't tell if it is a 2mb or 8mb cache HD

Numbers are as follows:
Diamond Max 9 80GB ATA/133 HDD
Model: 6Y080l0STD
S/N:Y26N9ZGE
Code: YAR41BWO

Anyone kn ow if this is a 2mb or 8mb cache?

From Digit-Life:
The codename is 6Yxxxz0, where xxx is size, z is disc type (L - ordinary with a 2MB buffer, P - with a 8MB buffer, M - with Serial ATA interface).

Looks like you've got 2mb there.

Well this blows, the one that went bad was an 8MB. Maxtor does it again. This was the second RMA in 4 months. 1st RMA was a grand total of 9 weeks after installation. 2nd RMA was a total run of 2moths 1 week.

Thanks for the reply.

I've never had a problem with a Maxtor drive, but I would be pissed about that also. At the least you should get a drive with the same specs, if not better.

Piss on it, I bought a 74 gb raptor drive from work. Hate to buy another drive but can't rely on maxtor anymore. I will use it in an external enclosure.

As a "paying Maxtor customer", I wouldn't let this one slide. If you paid for and expected a 8MB cache HDD, please complain until you get it. Don't let Maxtor get away with this one!

I had this happen with a Monitor RMA. I had to replace my Samsung 955DF. I requested a black one instead of the biege I had, which they did, but they sent me a 900DF. Its really not that different, so I just kept it. I would RMA that drive though, no doubt.

Originally posted by KillerButler
Maxtor says they are only responcible for quantity of HD not speed.

@#$#@*&$@#!!! Horse Hockey
guess that means at their discretion they can send you back a 5400rpm HDD if they want to. :mad:

Id burn their butts till you got the same model covered under the warranty.....period

You paid for that cache

email them a link to this thread and start a few others at Storagereview, 2cpu.com, Storageforum.net, amdmb, ect

Keep starting threads in different forums and sending emails till they fork it over, with shipping paid, both ways

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Ummm, I am not mad about it. I really don't need to go to that extreme, do I? But I will call Maxtor when I have the chance I have delt with them before never had any trouble. I will fire off an E-Mail and see what happens. When I get a reply I will post it.

if its actually their policy that they will replace one model with another less desirable model, the warranty is being at best misleading and at worse fraudulent.

a fully functional refurb is one thing, a lesser model is another

Ummm, I am not mad about it. I really don't need to go to that extreme, do I?

If you are not mad over it(I don't know why you are not though). Then NO, you don't, but even if you don't mind the drive you got you can still raise a stink since the squeeky wheel gets the oil.

What I mean is that if you let it slide then they will most likely facilitate Maxtor to do it again and again and again.....The more complaints they get, the closer they have to look at why. Complaints do go a long way towards changing policy.

I had some problems with Maxtor too. I will never buy from them again. Period. And you know I will be buying A LOT of hard drives in my lifetime....as well as those that I buy for all the other systems that I build....

Originally posted by Laforge
Use the MaxDiag software, and it will tell you what you actually have.
The model number says it all, no software needed.

Yea that is bs... if they arent concerned with replacing same or better speed, then they should not be charging extra for drives with 8mb cache vs 2mb in the first place. WTF.

Would it be okay to RMA a 2 year old Maxtor which is still under warranty? It's a 540x model with a 3 year warranty.

Sorrry for posting here, didn't want to start a new thread =\

sure if its developed a problem
they will probably ask for an error code from
the PowerMax Diagnostic

How about the drive being noisy? It's a constant noise, kinda like a whine...louder than my fans. My old old WD I got back in 1999-2000 (10gb) is very quiet. I know it's the hard drive because I've tested out both with all fans off. Are hard drives suppose to make a whining noise?

I just sent a Advance RMA because I do not want to wait weeks for a refurb to come. I see on the website they give you reasons why you are replacing it. One option was "drive is noisy", so I'm guessing some ppl run into something like that. Since the hard drive is in warranty, I hope it's not a problem for it to be replaced.

I don't want this to turn into a maxtor flame-o-thon. Just needed some advice. I called Maxtor and got an RMA and they are advancing a drive to me will be the same drive with a P instead of an L. All is good. I never had a problem with them. I talked to our Sales rep for Maxtor. He took care of it.

Thanks for all the advice.

I don't want this to turn into a maxtor flame-o-thon. Just needed some advice. I called Maxtor and got an RMA and they are advancing a drive to me will be the same drive with a P instead of an L. All is good. I never had a problem with them. I talked to our Sales rep for Maxtor. He took care of it.

Thanks for all the advice.

Great to hear that it is all getting sorted out ;)

Back