Just got my new Macbook Pro! Display question.

spincut

[H]ard|Gawd
I got the non-retina version, but I did spring for the 1650 resolution upgrade (anti-glare, since while I was digging the AR on the retina, it wasn't nearly as good with the non-retinas and I knew that would drive me crazy dealing with that glossy reflective and unnecessary extra pane of plastic).

But anyway, does anyone know what display panel/type specifically I am rocking? They don't really give that you kind of info on the mac store unfortunately :p .

If you have the computer, you can figure out what panel that you've got by following the instructions below:

If you are wondering how to check the panel you can do two things:
1. System Preferences > Displays > Color > Color LCD > Open Profile > Line 17 (under "Model")

2. Issue the following command at a terminal:
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6
I'm sure there's plenty of discussion on Macrumors or Apple Support Community forums regarding specific panels.

I looked and it was only numbers, not the info I was looking for.

As for you other suggestion....well...this forum is also a good wealth of information, what's wrong with asking here? I dont want to register on another forum.

So yeah, if anyone else who knows more about the current macbook laptop panels knows anything, please do respond.

What numbers did it return?

Here's my output when I run the terminal command on my machine..

LP116WH4-TJA3
Color LCD
q8-@X,E

IPS235

Serial Number
q8-@X,E

The top number is the panel that I have in my machine. I put that string into Google and it tells me more. Note that I didn't suggest you become a member of another web community.. Just pointing out to you that there is likely discussion on this topic. I was curious about my 11" MBA when I got it, and did some digging around about the SSD and LCD panel on my particular machine.

I dont have it in front of me right now but that is not what popped up for me. And while it does say the panel at least, it still doesn't say much else. Again, would prefer to have a person lay down the difference between the two non-retina screens. And actually, the last time I did go monitor shopping and needed help comparing stuff, hardforum is where I went...

Back