Just Got My MacBook Pro What Apps to Get?

I'm sure pretty near everything's been covered, but here's what I use regularly.

*Witch (customizable application switcher)
*Quicksilver
* These two are almost required to make using OS X productive.
VLC - who runs any computer without it?
Adium - Using Live Messenger lately is really making me sick... it was crap last time I used it 2 years ago... now it just makes me want to cut myself
Handbrake
MactheRipper
Open Office
Firefox - duh
Transmission
VMWare Fusion - tried Virtual Box a while back and if I remember right I had an issue with Win 7. I'm sure it's fixed by now, been running it on Win 7 on my i7
Textmate - the ONLY option for web dev and coding. They desperately need to release it as cross platform
Delicious Library - don't really use it much but it's kind of a neat app. You can use your iSight to scan in your books, movies, music ect.

Textmate is that better than Dreamweaver? I have been looking for a good web development software for a while on OS X. I might just have to check that out. Many thanks.

probably skipped over it but what is a good binary usenet downloading program for mac os? I want something like grabit that im using for windows.

You should get CS4, Virtual DJ, and yes - firefox as a browser...safari browser tends to have issues.

probably skipped over it but what is a good binary usenet downloading program for mac os? I want something like grabit that im using for windows.

sabnzbd is all you need. If you really must have a desktop app, check out Unison.

Hello guys. If i want to convert an entire DVD extract (courtesy of Mactheripper) into a DIVX or an avi file, would DIXV converter be an ideal choice? All this time this tool was installed on my MBP and by the time i realised it, the trail version was over :((
If it does a good job in converting an entrie DVD to DIVX or avi format, i might as well just buy the thing ! Your inputs will be helpful. thanks a lot.

I also don't use VLC. Ugly as heck.Parian plays all the files I need

Boxee on OSX. Been playing with it. Kinda lost with reading a manual - (who reads, let me mash some buttons). Works with Apple remote if you have one.

Songbird - because I absolutely abhor iTunes. OSX version doesn't sync with iPods so you're at a loss there. I use MediaMonkey on the Windows side.

Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac 2 - RDP for OSX for remote admin. I have to connect to the the other windows based computers for admin.

VNC - (RealVNC) same story as above, but for non-Windows and Windows based clients that don't have RDP (Win2k).

For virtualization - Fusion > Parrallels - I have VBox for Ubuntu, installed it but haven't tried it on OSX.

Yeah, I do sysadmin and graphic design. You didn't state you intended use of the MBP. I back up all other recommendations.

Things, Evernote, and that Library program look awesome. Without this thread I would have never known.

All Mac program developer's websites seem to all have the same modern look. Even their icons seem all the same.

Things, Evernote, and that Library program look awesome. Without this thread I would have never known.

All Mac program developer's websites seem to all have the same modern look. Even their icons seem all the same.

I like Things but I only use the iphone version.....I just couldn't bring myself to spend $50 on a todo list...albeit a very nice one...

Searched through the thread and didn't find this one:
CoRD

Much better than remote desktop connection for mac IMO.

Time to bump this again with some new apps. (Can we get this stickied? Please? Come on.)

Radioshift - Listen to thousands of radio streams over the Interwebs. I've found it pretty good for listening to out-of-market sports talk radio. Also available for iPhone as Radioshift Touch.

1Password - Best password manager on the Mac. I love its Safari integration, and they're working on Chrome integration as well. Easy to use, and very helpful in keeping track of my passwords for me. Also has an iPhone version, which I also use.

CleanMyMac - Frees up hard drive space by doing everything from clearing cache and logs to scrubbing the PPC code from universal binaries and deleting unused language files.

lots of great stuff in here!

i've found:
tiny alarm to be nice
rainlender works great
audacity is great on the mac
adium for all your chat needs
bean is a good office editor

thanks to all for their input

why is that everyone loves so much the mac. does a real reason exist, or, it's only because it's pretty!?
is the os response better? is the whole experience better than windows?

and. what are all internet browsers, there are, for the mac?

and. i am also thinking on getting an imac or probably a mac mini.

Last edited:
why is that everyone loves so much the mac. does a real reason exist, or, it's only because it's pretty?!

and

what are all internet browsers, there are, for the mac?

Because we're dumb people that like to pay $1000-$5000+ for something that is free (Unix). Does that answer your question? :rolleyes:

All the top browsers are available on Mac (minus Internet Explorer). Firefox, Opera, Chrome (beta), Safari. Other crappy ones are available, too.

But I guess you were serious so I'll answer seriously, too.

People buy Macs because they are elegant and simple. Everything made for Mac is optimized for the small selection of hardware, something that isn't possible under Windows due to having so many parts.

Also, in Mac everything is well integrated. You also don't need to DL or buy extra software out of the box. You can read PDFs and watch DVDs and such without any additional programs.

You can just feel the OS is better quality compared to Windows. Opinion I guess, but whatever.

Here is my list

Things
Notebook
1Password
Billings
Merlin
iBank
Socialite
iWork '09

And personally, i think using Picasa over iPhoto is crazy. iPhoto is so much nicer to use. And has more accurate facial recognition.

Back