Just got my first tuner card! HVR-1600

Rock&Roll

[H]ard|Gawd
Just thought I'd share an HTPC-noob's experience with a tuner card. I picked up a HVR-1800 at Circuit city today for $100, and went back to my house in hopes that it could decode the basic local channels on my cable line. Sadly, Time Warner is not like other cable companies, where once you have cable internet, you can get the basic channels for "free" with a splitter. So, without a cable box, no go there.

So I went back to CC to take a chance on some $40 amplified UHF/VHF rabbit ears. Yeah, I know, why the hell would anyone do that? Well, I live well within 10 miles of downtown Columbus and Digital OTA signals are not hard to come by.

Got back with the rabbit ears.....Walla, OTA HD tv clear as day. At least 8 local channels. I'm officially happy as shit. I can now watch the NFL in HD for via free OTA signals on my PC. Eat it Time Warner.

As far the HVR-1800 goes, it was overly simple to install. It's the first piece of hardware I've ever bought that had up to date software and drivers in the box. WinTV isn't as great as Beyond TV, but it works and wont cost me another $100 to keep on using.

In XP pro, there were no hitches whatsoever. In about 3 more weeks, I'll find out what this is like in Vista Premium x64.

I have that card also. It works great with my Orb setup for work. I am still interested in a full HTPC setup, but I am currently comfortable with my basic cable on the TV. When HD hits and I upgrade the TV. I will be looking into this more.

I just ordered the HVR-1800. I haven't got it yet so I cant comment on how it works. At this time I dont even have a TV however I am ordering Time Warner Cable. I know on my old HDTV I could get HD signals with there basic cable package without any tuner boxes. I live fairly close to downtown Kansas City, however I am in a huge apartment building. I was unable to get any useable tv stations with my ATI TV Wonder w/ cheap rabbit ears. not sure if it was the Rabbit Ears, the ATI TV Wonder or my APT Building. I am considering getting the TERK HDTV Antenna as a backup incase I cant get HDTV with basic cable on this tuner. I know some people reported the QAM doesn't work properly with the HVR-1800. I dont really know what that is but I just want to keep myself covered.

Media Center is included with vista home premium and works well (i think), so good luck getting the card to work in vista x64!

I certainly like having media center to use with my dvico card, even though the dvico software is light years ahead of wintv.

I've been using mine for a while now. Since getting into Vista x64, I've found that I have to use the driver provided by MS windows update. As well, the WinTV and FM Radio application do not work in Vista x64. But, Media center in vista works great at receiving ATSC from this card, using my DB-4 antenna (I switched out the amplified rabbit ears). I refuse to pay a monthly fee for television. This card at least allows me to catch the news, and watch some football. That's all I really care about.

All I have now is a cheap pair of rabbit ears, I can get several digital channels but I cant get any analogue channels. I used a 2 way splitter on the rabbit ears so I could hook it into both tuner. Radio works really well.
I know I need a good antenna, I know most the stations in my area have digital broadcasts so as long as I get those I am happy.
Only real problem I am having at the moment is I can't find the drivers for the Remote Sensor.

Back