Just got my first projector - Is this decent?

Maddnotez

Limp Gawd
BENQ 2050.

I have been on the fence for a while. Was looking at Epson 3100 as there was a good sale on Parker Gwen but I missed out. Then started looked at something that cost less and wanted a BENQ 2050A but I just won a 2050 on ebay (not here yet). I felt the savings was good although the input lag is not the best.

For an ultra budget first projector how do you guys think this one is? I paid $332.30, it seems to be in great used condition and well kept. It comes with ceiling mount, remote and all cables with about 1275 hours on the lamp.

TBH I won't use it much. I figured it would be cool to watch movies here and there. For my kid and netflix and chill kind of thing. My kid may use it for gaming but I definitely would not so the input lag didn't bother me too much. Does input lag affect watching movies or sports games on these?

You can't see/notice "input" lag when you are just watching. The "lag" is input based, ie: game pad, mouse, etc., where you make a movement and it's not instantly visible on the screen.

Trepidati0n

[H]F Junkie
This really needs to be said about projectors...if you are happy with it then it is a good purchase. The moment you ask for an opinion on something you bought you are asking to seed doubt in your mind which will ruin the experience. Every time I buy a new projector (4 so far in my life) I immediately "lose my login" for places like AVS forum. This has served me exceedingly well since I do not know what I am missing and always pleasantly surprised when I get my next one.

So...gratz on getting a projector. Enjoy!

ng4ever

2[H]4U
BENQ 2050.

I have been on the fence for a while. Was looking at Epson 3100 as there was a good sale on Parker Gwen but I missed out. Then started looked at something that cost less and wanted a BENQ 2050A but I just won a 2050 on ebay (not here yet). I felt the savings was good although the input lag is not the best.

For an ultra budget first projector how do you guys think this one is? I paid $332.30, it seems to be in great used condition and well kept. It comes with ceiling mount, remote and all cables with about 1275 hours on the lamp.

TBH I won't use it much. I figured it would be cool to watch movies here and there. For my kid and netflix and chill kind of thing. My kid may use it for gaming but I definitely would not so the input lag didn't bother me too much. Does input lag affect watching movies or sports games on these?

It is pretty good.

I like my BenQ HT3550 though sense it has like 4k. Not true 4k of course. Still true 4k is way to expensive right now in a projector.

swingdjted

Limp Gawd
Remember, projectors are like pizza and sex. Even the worst ones are pretty great. I use an old 1024x768 projector for DVD movies on a big garage door for summer get-togethers. When in wide screen, it's even lower resolution than that, and yet it's still amazing. Add that to a stereo for strong sound and you're a hero. It does wonders with Winamp/Milkdrop visualizations for dance parties too when the weather is right. 60", 70", 80" televisions are big. This screen is 210" diagonal. Just love it, because... it's a projector.
20180701_214238.jpg

Last edited:
looks like a nice unit! I've been in the market for a used one too and finding good deals on used tech is so hard. I'm not a low baller, but people be asking like %90 return on 5 year old tech gear is insane, that and shipping. $60 to ship a projector. WTF you smoking. I shipped a 50lb laser printer and it cost half that..

swingdjted

Limp Gawd
Any time you buy a used projector, you have to factor in the bulb life and cost of bulb replacement. It's hard to tell how much life is left on it, and those little things are expensive. I personally don't like to use any kind of projector, especially when it's for work, unless I have a spare bulb or spare projector at the ready, so figure that into the cost too if you can.

Verge

Supreme [H]ardness
Any time you buy a used projector, you have to factor in the bulb life and cost of bulb replacement. It's hard to tell how much life is left on it, and those little things are expensive. I personally don't like to use any kind of projector, especially when it's for work, unless I have a spare bulb or spare projector at the ready, so figure that into the cost too if you can.

Yea, and those chinese bulbs from amazon for dirt cheap are a toss up. You might get one that's usable. You might get one that blows up in 2 days. You might get one that loses 80% of it's brightness in a month... very rarely you get one that works like OEM.

I think these cheap knockoff bulbs have ruined the used market prices. Stuff is way overinflated. I was gonna sell my sony sxrd a few years back, and people were telling me to try and get 4-500 bucks for it. It needed a new bulb, OEM from sony was $398. There's no way that projector was worth 900 freaking dollars, that's insane. I ended up donating to goodwill so i didn't screw somebody.

Ur_Mom

Fully [H]
This really needs to be said about projectors...if you are happy with it then it is a good purchase. The moment you ask for an opinion on something you bought you are asking to seed doubt in your mind which will ruin the experience. Every time I buy a new projector (4 so far in my life) I immediately "lose my login" for places like AVS forum. This has served me exceedingly well since I do not know what I am missing and always pleasantly surprised when I get my next one.

So...gratz on getting a projector. Enjoy!

I just bought an Optoma UHD30. It has it's pros and cons. I bought it after checking out a review. So, I'm focused on the little things that I probably wouldn't have noticed before. I know there are other issues with it, and that's why I'm following your advice. It's great for my little room and I enjoy it. I'm going to keep it that way instead of regretting buying something different.

regk

n00b
Remember, projectors are like pizza and sex. Even the worst ones are pretty great. I use an old 1024x768 projector for DVD movies on a big garage door for summer get-togethers. When in wide screen, it's even lower resolution than that, and yet it's still amazing. Add that to a stereo for strong sound and you're a hero. It does wonders with Winamp/Milkdrop visualizations for dance parties too when the weather is right. 60", 70", 80" televisions are big. This screen is 210" diagonal. Just love it, because... it's a projector.
View attachment 244021
^ this right here sums it up well! I joke around when my buddies flex when one has a 65" over the friend with a 55". I tell them that's cute that they measure their screens in inches, I measure mine in feet! I am using a 720P Epson EX71 projector from circa 2011. It gets the job done admirably for what I use it for in a relatively light controlled room. I essentially got it & the screen for free (minus the cost of repairs, a 75 foot active HDMI cable and ceiling mount) It blew my friends away the first time they came over. I would love to upgrade to something like the Optoma UHD50X as I do game on it with my xbox. In terms of input lag I make due in warzone... going from ~80ms of lag down to ~20ms of lag for me Is still not going to keep my brains in my head on the opposite end of an HDR or Rytec, but it should make things prettier to look at along with the increase in resolution / HDR, etc.