Just got my 2005fpw in from UPS

ho72 said:
It's more like two fingers up.

My 2005FPW *does* have severe backlight bleeding (unlike the posted photo--if that were mine, I'd keep it). However, when I try to contact tech support online, they require the input of a Service Tag number which, unfortunately, this monitor does not have. I spent 2 hours last night trying to arrange a return/replacement to no avail.

Can someone PLEASE post a working email address OR phone number--that will be answered by a living, English (as a first language) speaking human--which I can use to address this issue?
I just went thru the exact same BS!!!! My god they pissed me off. 50 minutes on the phone to tell me they NEED a SERVICE TAG NUMBER to REPLACE THE MONITOR. Now I have to wait till 7:00 p.m. to get a service tag number off the monitor just for an exchange which they told me will take 3 TO 4 DAYS??? How are you guys getting one next day????
I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever buy anything from Dell again. :mad: :mad:

Puterguru said:
I just went thru the exact same BS!!!! My god they pissed me off. 50 minutes on the phone to tell me they NEED a SERVICE TAG NUMBER to REPLACE THE MONITOR. Now I have to wait till 7:00 p.m. to get a service tag number off the monitor just for an exchange which they told me will take 3 TO 4 DAYS??? How are you guys getting one next day????
I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever buy anything from Dell again. :mad: :mad:
Tell them it's just a monitor so there is no service tag. They say 3-4 days but they ship it overnight or next day with DHL. I finished my phone call at 8PM central so that's why I got mine today (phone call was Tuesday evening).

Guys all you need to do is email the guys, and tell them its fubar, then theyll ask to test some stuff, just say you did and then email that you want a replacement, or a return if you want that.

US_CAG_Customer_Care at dell.com

Dont know if it works just by emailing thru there, but you can get this one thru the returns request in the dell webpage, I got my replacement thru that email even though my monitor was a couple of months old. I got a refurb but heck it was 100 times better than the one I got originally, and I love it.

Maybe thru here ?

https://support.dell.com/support/to...ort/dellcare/en/returns?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

I got response in less than a day.

johnson said:
Tell them it's just a monitor so there is no service tag. They say 3-4 days but they ship it overnight or next day with DHL. I finished my phone call at 8PM central so that's why I got mine today (phone call was Tuesday evening).
Thanks, on the phone AGAIN with them now. Now they are saying that there is a SERIAL number on the bottom left corner. My god these people.

theoryzero said:
They want the serial number on the back of the display.
Yeah, you need that number. They just need to make sure youre not sending them a different monitor.

[email protected]

The above is a good address. I emailed the following:

Monitor Issue No "SERVICE TAG"

I have a 2005FPW, REV A03 (Customer Number: xxxxxxxx, Dell Order Number:
xxxxxxxxx) with severe backlight bleeding (a known issue). I cannot access
your online support because every contact that might be helpful requires
the input of a "Service Tag", which this monitor does not have.

I want authorization to return the defective unit and have a new one shipped out.

Please advise,

I received a quick reply requesting the SN and my shipping info. Just now received confirmation that a new unit is on the way: "a request has been submitted to ship the necessary replacement monitor directly to you for installation."

I hope it's a good one.

ho72 said:
[email protected]

The above is a good address. I emailed the following:

Monitor Issue No "SERVICE TAG"

I have a 2005FPW, REV A03 (Customer Number: xxxxxxxx, Dell Order Number:
xxxxxxxxx) with severe backlight bleeding (a known issue). I cannot access
your online support because every contact that might be helpful requires
the input of a "Service Tag", which this monitor does not have.

I want authorization to return the defective unit and have a new one shipped out.

Please advise,

I received a quick reply requesting the SN and my shipping info. Just now received confirmation that a new unit is on the way: "a request has been submitted to ship the necessary replacement monitor directly to you for installation."

I hope it's a good one.
That's what I was told 30 minutes ago when I told them there was no Service Tag. They told me to get the SN. I will never buy another Dell product again after my phone experience I had with them. I would rather pay an extra $120 and either:

A: Get reputable people that have even the slightest clue of what they are talking about.
B. Get someone that can speak English
C. Be able to just drive it to the nearest store and excahnge it for a new one.

Any or all of these are certainly worth the added expense to me instead of dealing with these idiots.

Puterguru said:
That's what I was told 30 minutes ago when I told them there was no Service Tag. They told me to get the SN. I will never buy another Dell product again after my phone experience I had with them. I would rather pay an extra $120 and either:

A: Get reputable people that have even the slightest clue of what they are talking about.
B. Get someone that can speak English
C. Be able to just drive it to the nearest store and excahnge it for a new one.

Any or all of these are certainly worth the added expense to me instead of dealing with these idiots.

Which is way you should stick to emailing. I had my wasted time too, couple of hours on the phone, pointless of course.

johnson said:
Grab a Samsung 215TW at Best Buy for $550.
They have them? Sweet! I just read another thread about this monitor. Not much on the Internet about it other than Samsungs website. Definitely going to look into it. I already have a Samsung 17 inch. Great little monitor.

I just looked, nothing on their website about it.

I just got my 2005 today. It has minor backlight bleeding on the lower two corners, but it only goes about an inch into the screen from the corners, and the only time I noticed was during the loading screens for hl2 when I was trying it out. No dead pixels that I have found.
Overall, for the 360 bucks I paid for it, I am satisfied. Maybe I have lower standards since I am replacing a 17in CRT manufactured in 1998, but this seems great to me.

Just got mine from UPS a few minutes ago. I ran Dead Pixel Buddy and it has zero dead or stuck pixels. I can't really tell how the backlight is because my room is too bright during the day. I'll check at night.

Tetrahedron said:
i get screen door effect on my Sanyo Z3 LCD projector just like that pic... but that is only when I am like 7 feet or closer.. its actually the individual pixels being projected.. since the screen is 108" hehe..

I was considering getting a 2405.. but now I will not. thanks for sharing your experience I hope all goes well for you.

Well most of the quality problems i hear of are with the 2005s rather than the 2405s. I got myself a 2405FPW a few months back and im glad i did. No backlight bleeding in the corners, no 'screen door' effect at all and not a single dead pixel. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Back