Just got my 2005fpw in from UPS

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got my 2005fpw in from UPS and the box and contents are pretty cold. After I open it up and take the monitor and stuff out, should I wait for the monitor to warm up before plugging it in?

I would take it out of the box and let it warm a little, its a big monitor, dont want to make any mistakes or take chances.

SH*T
I just got mine also today

this looks like crap compared to the 17" samsung
LIGHT BLEEDS!!
SCREEN DOOR EFFECT!!
CRAPP

ill takes pics later, and ill be sending this one back for a 2007 for sure :(

I have to send mine back too. The corners of the screen are lighter than the middle so they are sending me a new one overnight. Good thing i got a 5 year warranty so I'll keep having them send me a new one until I get a perfect one. I don't mind. This one wasn't that bad, but when I'm paying this much money for a monitor, it better be perfect. Two thumbs up for dell's service. They don't even ask questions, they pretty much replace it and send you a new one overnight without sending the bad one in first. This is the second monitor i've had to do this too. I ordered 2, one for my brother, I had to get 2 new ones sent. The other one got a vertical line up the whole screen after like 10 minutes of use.

ratbird said:
SH*T
I just got mine also today

this looks like crap compared to the 17" samsung
LIGHT BLEEDS!!
SCREEN DOOR EFFECT!!
CRAPP

ill takes pics later, and ill be sending this one back for a 2007 for sure :(

how are you gonna send it back for a 2007? Are you just gonna send it back for a refund and then order 2007, or see if they will replace yours with a 2007 when they send you a new one?

Dutt1113 said:
I have to send mine back too. The corners of the screen are lighter than the middle so they are sending me a new one overnight. Good thing i got a 5 year warranty so I'll keep having them send me a new one until I get a perfect one. I don't mind. This one wasn't that bad, but when I'm paying this much money for a monitor, it better be perfect. Two thumbs up for dell's service. They don't even ask questions, they pretty much replace it and send you a new one overnight without sending the bad one in first. This is the second monitor i've had to do this too. I ordered 2, one for my brother, I had to get 2 new ones sent. The other one got a vertical line up the whole screen after like 10 minutes of use.
how much did you pay?

Dutt1113 said:
how are you gonna send it back for a 2007? Are you just gonna send it back for a refund and then order 2007, or see if they will replace yours with a 2007 when they send you a new one?
yeah, ill pay the difference

bleed1.jpg

SCREEN DOOR EFFECT
bleed2.jpg

LIGHT BLEED CRAP

from the looks of it, mine had the light bleed effect. the first one I'm having replaced had a good screen, but had a friggin purple vertical line up the whole monitor. Eventually, I'll get a perfect one.

WHY do people continue to buy this Dell crap? I dont care who is making the panels, Dell is obviously getting the bottom of the barrel after every other manufacturer has had its pick, either that, or there is something else very wrong with what dell puts into the units or how they assemble them. Having to deal with backlight bleeding/screen door, etc should never be the customers first concern.

i get screen door effect on my Sanyo Z3 LCD projector just like that pic... but that is only when I am like 7 feet or closer.. its actually the individual pixels being projected.. since the screen is 108" hehe..

I was considering getting a 2405.. but now I will not. thanks for sharing your experience I hope all goes well for you.

Tutelary said:
WHY do people continue to buy this Dell crap? I dont care who is making the panels, Dell is obviously getting the bottom of the barrel after every other manufacturer has had its pick, either that, or there is something else very wrong with what dell puts into the units or how they assemble them. Having to deal with backlight bleeding/screen door, etc should never be the customers first concern.
Yeah, since having a tiny bit of light in the corners on an all black screen in a completely dark room signals you have a terrible monitor. How could you ever live with that? It is normal to stare at all-black screens in the dark, isn't it?

I've gotten 2 2005FPWs in the past month and haven't had a single problem. In fact, no one I know with any Dell LCD has.

live2sk8 said:
How could you ever live with that? It is normal to stare at all-black screens in the dark, isn't it?

No, but it is normal to play games in the dark. And when one corner of the monitor is SIGNIFICANTLY brighter than the rest, making it look like there is a gradient, it definatly ruins the suspension of disbelief.

Yeah, why buy dell? The monitors are crap. Sorry.

I dunno. For PC gaming, im still using good old crt. yeah its clunky, yeah its ugly but i have yet to see a no bs lcd for gaming. The black levels alone are worth keeping an lcd.

Firecrotch said:
Wow i had no idea the screen door effect could be this bad. Good thing i went with the gateway.
haha yeah.

Ill be getting the 2007wfp. SD+Leakage=4...i mean crap ;)

I'm not about to believe that other companies are error free either. Gateway has the "X" bleed, the new viewsonic has it in the corners. I think it's pretty much a crapshoot how bad it's going to be on these lower priced lcds. Let's not judge the 2007 too quickly, though.

Got my 2005FPW yesterday also. Has significant backlight bleeding on all for corners with the two bottom being more noticeable. Was on the phone with Dell "tech support" for 2 hours trying to explain to 3 different people what backlight bleeding was. The first two wanted me to unplug the monitor (i put it back in the box) etc but I told them that it's a panel issue, not other stuff. Finally the third guy had a clue because he looked it up and im supposed to receive another one in a few days.

I just got mine this mornign whats the best way to test for deadpixels and all this other stuff?

johnson said:
Got my 2005FPW yesterday also. Has significant backlight bleeding on all for corners with the two bottom being more noticeable. Was on the phone with Dell "tech support" for 2 hours trying to explain to 3 different people what backlight bleeding was. The first two wanted me to unplug the monitor (i put it back in the box) etc but I told them that it's a panel issue, not other stuff. Finally the third guy had a clue because he looked it up and im supposed to receive another one in a few days.

They are sending me 2 new 2005fpw's. They say 2-3 days just so nothing is held against them if there is a delay in the mail. I asked the guy and they really overnight them to you, so you should get your replacement monitor the next day.

UPS tried to drop mine off yesterday but no one was home and they won't take a hand written letter saying "Please leave it at the door" with a signature. :(

I imagine the same thing will happen today. :(

johnson said:
Call them and tell them you want it redirected to your work place.
I did, they won't. Hopefully the wife will be home before they deliver it.

I'm plenty happy with my 2005fpw, there is some slight backlight bleeding in the corners, but I can never notice it whenever using the monitor. But the varying experiences from different users is disturbing. If Dell didn't have a good return policy I think people would have abandonded these monitors awhile ago.

MonoDestro said:
I'm plenty happy with my 2005fpw, there is some slight backlight bleeding in the corners, but I can never notice it whenever using the monitor. But the varying experiences from different users is disturbing. If Dell didn't have a good return policy I think people would have abandonded these monitors awhile ago.
I just got email notification that my two 2005fpw have shipped. I don't doubt that some have seen backlighting monitor samples. I got a great deal and I don't watch movies (just games like HL2, CoD2, FEAR) So 1) it's got to be better than my Toshiba 172 that is 12x10 max and has backlighting and 2) I probably won't notice in my applications. I say this now--lets see what I say in a week! :)

I've been buying computer components online since 1999. If you read reviews of components you will ALWAYS find stories of people that love it and don't understand the obvious moron n00bs that have problems or stories of those that hate it and want to murder the responsible company CEO. The majority that bought it and are happy probably don't post much.

I gotta say. I just tried my 3 2005fpw and the 3rd one's a charm. Dell got it to me the next day overnight. Great service dell. This one has no dead pixels and no backlight bleeding or anything. Hopefully, this one will stay perfect. If not, I've still got my 5 year warranty.

Well I got mine yesterday and it sucks ass. Backlight bleeding and it also will not fill the entire screen. There is a blue line near the bottom where the screen needs to be moved vertically down a quarter of an inch and there are no adjustments for that in the monitor when the display is set to "DVI". There are also no longer any adjustments for it in my ATI Control Center when there was when I had the CRT on there. Even if I did solve that problem however the backlight bleeding is terrible. I think I will see if I can get a refund and look at either the Gateway or the Viewsonic.

Dutt1113 said:
Two thumbs up for dell's service. They don't even ask questions, they pretty much replace it and send you a new one overnight...
It's more like two fingers up.

My 2005FPW *does* have severe backlight bleeding (unlike the posted photo--if that were mine, I'd keep it). However, when I try to contact tech support online, they require the input of a Service Tag number which, unfortunately, this monitor does not have. I spent 2 hours last night trying to arrange a return/replacement to no avail.

Can someone PLEASE post a working email address OR phone number--that will be answered by a living, English (as a first language) speaking human--which I can use to address this issue?

It's a 1-800 number on their website. You'll go through a few menu's selecting what kind of product you have then someone from India will pick up. Then you'll have to try to explain that it's not a setting on your desktop, etc. When he's convinced he'll have one shipped to you. Don't be a jackass on the phone because most of the people dont know what backlight bleeding is. The 3rd person I talked to actually looked the problem up (maybe he saw pictures) and it went smooth from there. Took me 2 hours to finally get everything done.

BTW, the second 2005FPW just got delivered to my work at 8:30AM by DHL. Cant try it out for another 8 hours. Also included was a return label for Airborne Express.

Back