Just got KOTOR and it crashes immediately into game

hatecc

Gawd
any insight?

I'm running A7N8X DLX with ATI 9700pro, Samsung 512mb DDR ram, running XP, not sure which cats i'm running, i can't remember.

I tried installing monopoly tycoon earlier this week and it crashed like 20 seconds into the game just like KOTOR did, I moved my bios settings back to stock, and same for vid card just to make sure it wasn't stability issues from o'cing.

Any thoughts?

Oh, here is the driver I am using: 6.14.10.6343

and another note, haven't really played any games since early summer when i played splinter cell, so i dunno what changed since then, i did add a wireless network card and a leadtek tv tuner since then, but i can't imagine that being it.

ok, updated to latest drivers, and am able to get in game. only thing is now it's crashing while i am playing the game, sigh.

any thoughts?

I used Cats 3.5 to play Kotor and only experienced two crashes to desktop with 44 hours of gameplay.

I had this problem, but when I turned off the movies, it worked. Afterwards I turned them back on and I never had the problem again.

ya there were alot of early problems with KotOR so try getting the newest game patches and see if that helps... i had similar problems and the patch fixed that

yeah i patched it, i'll try the movie thing though, see if that helps out.

I drew a picture of a bonfire and placed it in front of my monitor. I then sacrificed a small furry animal to the game gods and danced around my computer. Mine has not crashed since.

no, turning off movies did not help.

i fear i have a corrupt install of something, somewhere and i'll have to start from scratch, sigh.

I also have an A7N8X with a 9700 Pro and was crashing too. I fixed the crashing problem by changing my monitor refresh rate back to the default 60 MHz. No joke.

lol grogg, tried it and it worked, thanks so much man!

this game is great btw!

eh seemed to fix the problem temporarily, it is crashing less often, but it still has crashed about 10 times since i turned the monitor refresh rate down.

I also read somewhere about it crashing alot depending on hardware accelerated mouse in the configuration. Try it turning on/off the hardware mouse and see if that helps. By playing with those I was able to stop the crashes (only one time crashing during a complete game start to finish not just one sitting). Good luck.

tried the hardware mouse, didn't help.

I can't get past the meeting of Bastil and Carth and my character, it crashes every damn time, going on about 15 times.

lol, i was like 2 mins ahead of you on that, i went there and registered and posted on there about 2 mins ago heh under the same tag.

I also just got off the phone with lucasarts tech support.

They said everything i had in terms of drivers was fine and that they hadn't heard of anyone having problems like i had, sigh. They said try to start a new game, see if it isn't just corrupted, so i'm off to do that.

i had already tried that, but does he mean delete ALL your games, meaning start completely over? if so, that's a lotta time down the drain not to mention it'd be boring.

i tried not saving to new spots, it helped a little bit, but i still get crashes far too often.

I had the same problem, I tried everything. What seems to have fixed it for me was bumping up the CPU voltage and RAM voltage. Also try dropping your OC down 100mhz, I took my XP to 2.4ghz and had CTDs galore in Max Payne 2.

i already stepped my o'c all the way down to stock.

and i sure as hell am not upping the voltage on anything just to get a game to work. game=$50 ram+cpu=$300+

Anything 1.8v will not do any long-term or short-term damage to your CPU, hell I had to take mine up to 1.85v for my CPU to run at 2.4ghz for awhile. But if your CPU has any constructual weaknesses it will hasten its demise, but that does not happen to 99% of people.

That is all I can suggest other than a clean install. Bumping the voltage worked for me.

Hmm what sound card do you have, if you have an Audigy series card try making sure it is on its own IRQ.

nah, not using an audigy, using soundstorm, which i never thought it would be as good as people said, but i'm quite pleased with it, the best thing is i haven't had any scratchiness in anything as i had with soundblasters in the past.

Back