Just got into BF3 Alpha, Will post info running on my 6970's

Is this with any AA? are you running 1gb or 2gb cards =]? Can 1gb cards even run eyefinity with AA heh ? maybe 2x =?

Thx for the benchies :)

2gb cards. I don't know what the high setting uses, but I didn't enable any AA in CCC.

Does anyone else have to run in windows mode only?? At least it does work on my PLP setup though...

again what to the loads look like on the processors.

You stated you had a 2600k are people going to be o.k. driving crossfire with a 550BE or i3-2100, etc.

Can you do a screenshot of your Taskmanager showing CPU usage.

It brings a lot of load on the cpu. this is on a single monitor with crossfire 6950s

Thanks so your pretty much maxing out a 3.3 Ghz i5 quad core

Wonder what's happening with a 2600K,

I'm interested since I'm going to be buying a new machine just for this game. I was looking at a 2500K with two 6950's or 570's.

Your specs make me second guess that 2500K and think more about the 2600K or Bulldozer.

BF2 was a great game and the FB2 engine is suppose to take all the CPU you can throw at it. From what I've read good multi threading etc...

Last edited:
Does anyone else have to run in windows mode only?? At least it does work on my PLP setup though...
If you are in game and spawned you can hit esc and enter the options menu.
Have you tried setting it to fullscreen?

Just for reference, here's what CPU utilization is sitting at with an i7-920(D0)@ 2.66Ghz.

yl261.jpg

Getting around 50-60+ fps on a single HD 6950, settings on high@1920x1080.

i7-2600k (stock), GTX 580 (stock, 1.5gb), 1920x1080, high settings
This was after spawning and running down a darker corridor (where my fps generally dips a little). Mild/heavy action, wall exploded right next to me toward the end. FPS was between 50-60.
JurMX.jpg

Last edited:
^^^ If I'm extrapolating what I'm seeing above correctly it looks like xfire setups add quite an additional load to the CPU.

77 processes...sheesh! Is that normal for Windows 7 (I run XP)?

IE and Crome create a new process for every page open for multi-threading performance. Firefox is still limited to using one CPU. Windows 7 handles threads much better and DDR3 is so cheap right now, that I hardly exit out of programs anymore. It is not uncommon for me to have adobe lightroom, photoshop, several websites, winamp, teamspeak, and a game all running at the same time. My Processes can get up to 95 easy, but with an SSD, 8gb of ram, and a i2500k @4Ghz, I never see any slow downs.

IE and Crome create a new process for every page open for multi-threading performance. Firefox is still limited to using one CPU. Windows 7 handles threads much better and DDR3 is so cheap right now, that I hardly exit out of programs anymore. It is not uncommon for me to have adobe lightroom, photoshop, several websites, winamp, teamspeak, and a game all running at the same time. My Processes can get up to 95 easy, but with an SSD, 8gb of ram, and a i2500k @4Ghz, I never see any slow downs.

Chrome also opens a seperate process for every addon, so if you have like 8 plugins, you can expect 9 processes to open up when you open 1 page in chrome.

I see...so wouldn't having all those processes going increase CPU load during gaming? Also, just out of curiosity, roughly how many processes are there right when you load windows?

I see...so wouldn't having all those processes going increase CPU load during gaming? Also, just out of curiosity, roughly how many processes are there right when you load windows?

over 70, that's all I know for me. Staem client, OneNote, Intel RST, DigitalColor app, asus system suite, asus chargerAI, nvidia update app, creative X-Fi2 SB, eVGA Prevision all on auto startup in the tray. RIght now running ppt+2winword and about 20 IE9 windows is giving me 101 processes. Doesn't seem to affect me in Starcraft 2 or Softimage 7.5, since all the apps take lower level priority in the background (I hope...)

Other reason I don't care is my i7 2600k is almost flat lined (right now) except for the occasional putter on 2 or so threads in the 5% utilization range.

cpu usage in eyefinity is a little less, about 85%. It feels really choppy even at 40+ fps.

Would you mind telling us the setup for this test that felt choppy? I was hoping to get decent frames with dual 6950 for this game in eyefinity :(

Isn't there something in the EULA for alpha testing about not publishing your involved, there was when I played The Old republic...although there was nothing to really talk about.

No!!
Nothing we are talking about here really changes the game,

We are basically all trying to setup computers to play it when it comes out. In other words this type of discussion is going to improve the release as opposed to giving something away.

What is a pre-release good for... EA....

Congrats here is the new BF3, by the way,,, you'll need to first:
buy windows 7 and install
sell your fast quad 2500K and go back to hexa core 1100T
you got screwed on the (4x2Gb) 8gb it really needs 16gb
Don't worry about that 6950 it plays just fine with a 8800GT

These sorts of things are somewhat release to the [H]

I know it's not exactly pertinent but I'm dying to hear from you guys about the gameplay. All that you hoped? Strengths/weaknesses?

every new game plays new and different, I had more fun with bc2 than with Bf2 and bf1942 and bf2142.
the destruction adds a lot to the game.

I am sure Bf3 will be new dynamics, new bugs and new shit coding from dice but it be fun.

Back