Just got back to folding. new rig sitting at 1.3mil PPD

Built a new full water cooled rig for gaming. When not gaming it will be folding around 20 hours a day. Picked up the PSU i wanted yesterday for it.
Rig is 5820k @ 4.4ghz
Dual 1080GTX's with water blocks
Dual 360mm rads and d5 pump
HX1200i PSU so I can sit at the max efficiency while folding. PSU showing 93% at the moment. Using 450-600watts to make 1.3mill PPD i'm pretty happy with that..

Been folding almost 20 hours now and the CPU is sitting at 70c and the GPU's at 58c. With the fans running at about 50% . Can sleep with it running in the same room. Haven't folded in a while. Was really shocked when this thing showed it was going to be putting out 1.3mil PPD. Hell I only have 3.7mil points to this point and I used to fold 24/7 for over a year. Also odd thing the web control when opened just flickers. First time it worked fine and just flickers and don't show any of my info just the controls page like it's just refreshing over and over..

Welcome back Makeroflostsouls

Nice system you have; congrats ! have one 980Ti on lazy water (AIO) and a 1080Ti FE on air. The later one is rather noisy. Wish I could have wait for a AIO that time. Good choice on your side.

And scrap that web fronted ; suggest to use FAHControl

Very nice rig but you should be showing closer to 1.6m , have you left 2 threads free to feed the gpu's, and you may find it more efficent to not cpu fold at all.

I was wondering about that.. Thought the cpu did different work types? The cpu does generate most the heat also when folding. Are most people not folding on there cpu any more? thanks

I crunch on my CPUs and will only run FAH on the 2p since it can utilize 32 threads with core a7. Thats only for competitions. Otherwise it crunches on BOINC projects.

Reactions: BWG
like this
I run my F@H on my GPUs and WCG on my CPUs.

As Nathan_P pointed out make sure you leave a core per GPU open. Otherwise the GPU will be fighting for CPU cycles and it'll hurt their performance.

The cpu work units are different but the points you earn vs gpu's make it uneconomic for most people, i'm not currently cpu folding on my 2p machines but may well restart once it get back from holiday.

Built a new full water cooled rig for gaming. When not gaming it will be folding around 20 hours a day. Picked up the PSU i wanted yesterday for it.
Rig is 5820k @ 4.4ghz
Dual 1080GTX's with water blocks
Dual 360mm rads and d5 pump
HX1200i PSU so I can sit at the max efficiency while folding. PSU showing 93% at the moment. Using 450-600watts to make 1.3mill PPD i'm pretty happy with that..

Been folding almost 20 hours now and the CPU is sitting at 70c and the GPU's at 58c. With the fans running at about 50% . Can sleep with it running in the same room. Haven't folded in a while. Was really shocked when this thing showed it was going to be putting out 1.3mil PPD. Hell I only have 3.7mil points to this point and I used to fold 24/7 for over a year. Also odd thing the web control when opened just flickers. First time it worked fine and just flickers and don't show any of my info just the controls page like it's just refreshing over and over..

Congrats Makeroflostsouls, that's an awesome setup!!!

You're going to make me have to get on setting up some of my new boxes :)

Nice rig Makeroflostsouls (drool). Yah skip the web control, lots of peeps have issues with it. Use FAH Control. For simple monitoring I like to use HFM.net too. Quick link to aggregate scores, team summary, etc. I'm with mmonnin and Skillz : BOINC on CPU's and FAH on GPU's. My CPU's generated ALOT of heat when I used to fold on them and the ppd was disappointing for all that power and heat and my office got too hot in summertime. BOINC will also cease when you want to use your PC for something demanding like gaming without you having to manage it if you set up your local preferences properly. Less hassle.

Back