Just got a Samsung 305T

visualguy

Limp Gawd
I just received my new Samsung 305T. I also have a 30" Apple and I had a 30" Dell 3007 in the past.

Here are my impressions:

• Build quality is ok, but not great. The Apple is much better in that respect.

• Very good height adjustment. The Apple doesn't have this.

• There are 3 bad pixels on my 305T. I was hoping that Samsung panels don't suffer from that anymore, so I was somewhat disappointed.
  • Capable of high brightness while maintaining good contrast. Much better than the Apple in this respect, but it doesn't matter much to me since I always use it at the lowest brightness level. It may be important to people who want to use it for video (no HDCP, though).
  • Brightness uniformity across the screen is much better than the Apple or Dell.
  • Less backlight leakage than the Apple or Dell.
  • I like the image on the Samsung PVA panels better than the image on the LG IPS panels used by Apple and Dell. The LG panels have a somewhat grainy look, while the Samsung panels provide a smooth creamy picture. This is the main reason I got the 305T, and it delivers on this front.
  • Colors (including white) look better on the Samsung.
  • Response time in games is ok, but it seems to be somewhat less good than the Dell or Apple in this respect.
Overall, I recommend the 305T. I wish mine didn't have bad pixels, but I haven't noticed them yet while using the monitor, just when testing for bad pixels.

Please provide us with:

1. Link to the place you bought it from.
2. Price you paid.
3. Pic's for Christ's sake!!!

:D

Could the grainy look you attribute to the LG panels be the effect of the anti-glare coatings used by Apple and Dell? I know I found Dell's hard to ignore on the 2007wfp. Could it be that Samsung uses one that is less noticeable?

It's possible that it's the AR coating. Many LG panels have this problem, including the one used in the Dell 2001FP. It's the biggest drawback of these panels in my opinion. If it's just caused by the AR coating, then it's strange that they don't change it to something better.

The other thing I don't like about the LG panels is that the colors tend to look less good, and I can never adjust them just right. It's hard to explain, but it's like the difference between watercolors (LG) and oil paint (Samsung). I like the warmer more vivid colors of the Samsung. It also has a clearer and smoother image which is easier on the eyes. This is why I was missing the image of my Samsung 243T when I upgraded the the 30" Apple. The 305T offers the best of both worlds.

Glad to finally have some info on this display!

It is indeed supposed to have better brightness uniformity then the Dell. A 15% variation for the Samsung vs. 20% for the 3007 HC and 30% (Yikes!) for the previous Dell 3007 and apple generations.

What do you think of the viewing angles?

Thanks for sharing your observations, it looks like a great monitor.

Tarc

• Response time in games is ok, but it seems to be somewhat less good than the Dell or Apple in this respect.
Uh-oh...

Did Samsung screw up AGAIN? I really hope the 24 & 27 inch counterparts don't suffer from this as well.

Visualguy thanks for the honest review-----you didn't tell us only the "Good" things.

The viewing angles for the Samsung are ok, but the LG panel is somewhat better in that respect.

The HP should be similar to the Dell and Apple since it also uses the LG panel.

ZipZoomFly says the have them in stock shiping 1-2 days, but I wont order from them after hearing about people's orders being "in processing" for 2+ weeks with there credit cards charged and no answers . Even though I want one of these!:(

The new Samsung panels are supposed to be quite better in viewing angles than previous generations.

My concern is that at this size, when you look at corners colors should not shift from what you see in the center.

Many claims that even tough the Samsung has a smaller color gamut than the HC, it has better color reproduction and better blacks.

The fact that the monitor comes pre-calibrated also helps I imagine.

Tarc

TechonWeb announce it at 1350$
They seem to have a good costumer rating.

The new Samsung panels are supposed to be quite better in viewing angles than previous generations.

My concern is that at this size, when you look at corners colors should not shift from what you see in the center.

Many claims that even tough the Samsung has a smaller color gamut than the HC, it has better color reproduction and better blacks.

The fact that the monitor comes pre-calibrated also helps I imagine.

Tarc

Colors on the sides don't look exactly the same as in the middle because of the viewing angle difference, but it's a very minor phenomenon. The viewing angle does make more of a difference on this panel than the LG panel, but it's not a big difference. The brightness uniformity problems of the LG panel are much more noticeable than the viewing angle problems of the Samsung.

I agree that the Samsung has better colors and better blacks than the regular (non-HC) LG panel. I haven't seen the HC panel.

Hay visualguy......how about some visualaids!!!

Pic's ! Pic's ! Pleaz!:D

PICS!!!!!

And from different angles please. Color shifting is something I really cannot stand. And I believe PVA panels suck at this? And with slower response time (even compared to the old dell??) seems like samsung messed up pretty bad with this monitor.

Have you tried to fix the dead pixels ?

I've successfully used a program for this on several monitors and it usually worked. It would let you draw a little square around the dead pixel(s) and then switch between red, green, and blue color within the square(s) as fast as possible. I would let this run overnight, usually by the morning the dead pixel was working again.

If you want I'll try to find the program for you. It was freeware.

I don't have the equipment to take good pictures, unfortunately, but since so many asked for pics here are some pretty lousy ones. My camera caused all kinds of weird effects in these pictures - it's not the monitor. That's why I don't think these pictures are very useful, but since people asked for them anyway...

s1.JPG

s2.JPG

s3.JPG

s4.JPG

Hi VisualGuy, I also have purchased the 305T. However, it makes a soft buzzing sound that I can hear at 60cm away, and it is faint from 2-3m. Does your particular one make that sound too? Or do I have a defective model?

Hi VisualGuy, I also have purchased the 305T. However, it makes a soft buzzing sound that I can hear at 60cm away, and it is faint from 2-3m. Does your particular one make that sound too? Or do I have a defective model?

They all do, don't worry about it.

Thank you for pic's!

You seem to do alot of reading as so do I on a monitor, how has it ben on the 305t? My current sony, allthough verry clear and sharp strains my eyes no matter what I do . But somtimes I use my 32 xbr2 lcd from the bedroom as a monitor ,and my eyes feel great.

have you noticed any strain from gettin up close or otherwise?

thx.;)

:eek: Manufacturers must know that this is NOT accepted on a monitor like this :(

There's probably a fix coming for it and not nessesarily all screens have this. Same issues was with the NEC 2690. Not all screens had this problem and NEC provided a fix for those who did (much thanks to Travbomb maybe!). Complain early to Samsung and it will be fixed sooner! :D

Yes it is. It's like you're saying it isn't acceptable that a 200 000 dollar car consumes gas.

what if your 200K car's exhaust rattled against your floor board when whenever your engine is running, and the dealership said "oh, thats just the way they are" would you accept that?

I think the dicitions on witch internal power suplies are used in these big monitors are probably made in the board room and not tested enough before sending out products. Every one home has diferent voltages and eletrical conditions witch can make a difference.

Is this humming 305t on a good ups with avr?

Looks great!

A side by side picture with the apple would also be very educational.

Have you looked how gradients were rendered?

Thanks for sharing

Tarc

:eek: Manufacturers must know that this is NOT accepted on a monitor like this :(

They don't all do it. My Dell 3007-HC is silent as far as I can tell. I haven't gotten out any instruments to measure it, but with my head about 1 inch from the display, I don't hear any noise at all when I turn it off and on. From the reports I read of this, in many cases its because the user has the display brightness maxed out that it starts to make noise... and that's way too bright anyways. Maybe thats the problem with you... have you tried adjusting the brightness to a calibrated level?

Uh-oh...

Did Samsung screw up AGAIN? I really hope the 24 & 27 inch counterparts don't suffer from this as well.

What are you talking about? Since they use S-PVA panels which are always less responsive than S-IPS panels, it's only common sense that this monitor lags behind in this department.

Is there any chance that you might measure the input lag? The 24" Samsung supposedly suffered greatly from this effect and it would be interesting to see if they found a way to reduce it. Having the S-IPS Apple at your disposal for comparison doesn't hurt, either :)

They don't all do it. My Dell 3007-HC is silent as far as I can tell. I haven't gotten out any instruments to measure it, but with my head about 1 inch from the display, I don't hear any noise at all when I turn it off and on. From the reports I read of this, in many cases its because the user has the display brightness maxed out that it starts to make noise... and that's way too bright anyways. Maybe thats the problem with you... have you tried adjusting the brightness to a calibrated level?

I have tried lowering the brightness, lowering the resolution, using a different power cable, and the result is the same, a clear audible humming of buzzing that sounds like slightly higher pitch "hmmmmmmmmm".

I have called Samsung, and this is the first time they have heard of an issue like mine with the 305T. Since I have just bought the monitor, they are treating it as Dead On Arrival, which means I get a replacement from the shop I bought it from. Too bad I had to order it, and will have to wait another week before they can get another one in.

Mine doesn't make any noise that I can hear. It's silent at all brightness levels.

Does yours have any bad pixels?

Thanks, mine must be defective then. No bad pixels on it though.

Let us know if your replacement monitor has any bad pixels. I'm curious about how common bad pixels are on the 305T. If many/most panels have them, then it's not worth exchanging for me. There's the risk of exchanging for something worse (buzzing noise and a dead pixel right smack in the middle of the screen)...

The shop has no stock and ETA for next one is 10 days. I got a refund instead, and I am in the process of buying another Samsung 305T off ebay from someone who only used it for 20 mins. She told me she tested with no dead pixels.

Too bad the 305T is not HDCP compliant, and for a monitor this size and this high resolution, it is a shame that it is not future proof.

I am also considering the Dell 3007WFP since that one is very popular and has HDCP.

I belive the 305t comes with a wall bracket in the box. Did yours? Does it look cheap ?

If I go with this 30 Its most likely going on the wall, and it would be nice to save a few buck's .

Pic's!! More pic's for us wanabee's!!!!!!!:D

Back