Just got a new card few easy questions

Glow

Supreme [H]ardness
I just got a new 128mb 9600XT and I am wondering what I should change these to in my bios.
At the moment they are at: Frame buffer size - 32M
and AGP Apertures Size - 64MB
Also how do I disable Vert sync in my video options? I believe it is but I still have some fuzzy spots columns running down my LCD I don't know what setting I am overlooking I am at 1280 x 1024 and 60Hertz

Well, first off the AGP aperature has nothing to do with the video card, it is the amount of system ram your computer can allocate to games, usually 128 works best for 512 mb systems and up, 64 would probably be suitable for 256mb systems.
Next Vsync will get rid of the lines, it basically means that your framerate will not exceede the drawrate of your monitor, being and LCD it is much lower than a CRT. Hope this helps. :)

I have a gig so 256 I guess but what about: Frame buffer size - 32M?
Vertsync is off in the opengl details or auto with programs but I still getting these fuzzy columns. Do I want write combing on?

It may be a possibility that it is your monitor, how long have you had it?? Can you test it on another computer?? Check your driver settings, make sure that AA and Aniso and other settings like that are set to auto/appl controled, unless you want them enabled purposely. What size is your monitor?? 17 in LCD run at 1024x768, 19 run at 1280x1024 and so on, if the problem still persists and you are sure everything is set right and that the monitor works and has the current drivers (if it needs them, some have drivers that fix bugs like that) then check your vid card, test it on another LCD.

Captain_Insano said:
It may be a possibility that it is your monitor, how long have you had it?? Can you test it on another computer?? Check your driver settings, make sure that AA and Aniso and other settings like that are set to auto/appl controled, unless you want them enabled purposely. What size is your monitor?? 17 in LCD run at 1024x768, 19 run at 1280x1024 and so on, if the problem still persists and you are sure everything is set right and that the monitor works and has the current drivers (if it needs them, some have drivers that fix bugs like that) then check your vid card, test it on another LCD.

My LCD looks like complete and utter shit at 1024x768 I'm running a NEC1760V I had same happen with my Geforce 4 but I fixed it with changing refresh rate, I can pick from 60,70,75 and 60 and 75 are okay but not perfect. I get the fuzzy columns with both. AA and Aniso seem to be only adjustable in the 3D tab with openGL and Direct X settings and they are fine but I dunno where else I could find them. Is there another spot to turn them and vert sync off?

It seems to me it is your monitor, if it did a similar thing with the GF4 (in my opinion the best card ever that lived). You should try another monitor, if you have space, i'd deffinately suggest a CRT for gaming, they run around $250 for a high quality 17in flat screen(i have a Samsung Syncmaster 700NF), and around 350 for a hiquality 19in flatscreen. The syncmaster can go up to the 2024x1578 res!!!! It will do 1600x1200 at 75 hz.
As for the 3D settings, the settings tab is the only place to adjust them. You WANT VSYNC with an LCD, it has a low draw rate, remember that a monitor is like a video card, it continuously redraws the images on the screen several times a second, a good LCD has a draw rate of around 50 to 60 images per second, a good CRT is 100 and up. You said your LCD is Sh** so it probably has a draw rate of around 30 images per second, and you have a pretty powerfuly video card in your machine, so your video card is running games at a higher frame rate than your monitor, thus you get vertical tearing, Vsync will limit the FPS on the video card so it does not exceed the draw rate of your monitor, if you have it OFF, that is probably the cause of the tear lines, if the lines are always there even wheny your are not gaming, then it is your monitor and you probably need to send it to the manufacturer to have it repaired/replaced or buy a new one. Another thing about LCD's is that they only look good on 1 resolution, that is the resolution intended for their size, if yours is a 19 in then it will only look clear at 1280x1024, if you have a 17 in then it will only look clear at 1024x768 and so on. CRT's are a bit less picky, they look clear at any supported resolutions, they also have a resolution that they look best at, but the diff is not as noticeable as with LCD. Hope this helps and good luck, :)

I have an NEC 1760NX, which is the 1760V with digital inputs added, and mine runs at 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz, which is the native resolution. Since your monitor has the same panel and everything, it's probably the native res for yours as well. If you try to run it at 1024x768 , it's going to look bad no matter what, especially for gaming. Try to run yours at 1280x1024 and see what you get...

yours is a 19 in then it will only look clear at 1280x1024, if you have a 17 in then it will only look clear at 1024x768 and so on

Not true for all monitors see above.

stumpy said:
I have an NEC 1760NX, which is the 1760V with digital inputs added, and mine runs at 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz, which is the native resolution. Since your monitor has the same panel and everything, it's probably the native res for yours as well. If you try to run it at 1024x768 , it's going to look bad no matter what, especially for gaming. Try to run yours at 1280x1024 and see what you get...

Not true for all monitors see above.
I am running CS at 1280x960 if I go any higher then it my monitor will lose connection with my vid card, yeah I dunno but it looks good at this. like I said my LCD looks like shit at 1024x768 but since it's native is 1280x1024 and thats what I'm running it at I still get the lines. Turning vsync on in OpenGL doesn't get rid of them.

I don't get it. I have everything turned off I am at my native resolution and everything. direct X and Open GL both set with AA and AF off. very sync off. I dunno what else I can do. Is there any hyper Z or any other settings I can change I can't find them I thought I saw something with a Z somewhere before in here. I just don't know whats going on. these columns are driving me insane this was so easy to fix with my geforce 4 but nothings working now. Any advice?
Heres a picture if u look at the top u can see how the text is fuzzy. I just did a screen shot so I don't know what it means when windows can pick up the fuzzy columns, I didn't think it would since it could just be a monitor thing.
help22.jpg

Nothing noticeable in the picture. Try enabling cleartype in windows that may fix fuzzy text. Also I don't think refresh rates are as big a deal on LCD's. Since the way CRT's and LCD's draw the image is different.

[H]alcyon441 said:
Nothing noticeable in the picture. Try enabling cleartype in windows that may fix fuzzy text. Also I don't think refresh rates are as big a deal on LCD's. Since the way CRT's and LCD's draw the image is different.

Look at top and go under it at "not sure" then follow it down it's different than the text next to it

Back