just got a lenovo s10e

antok86:

Is the 802.11b/g card in these a mPCI card? I was looking at maybe getting one of these if it would be compatible. More than likely I'll be getting a broadband access card for the express card slot from a carrier and wouldn'y really need the internal wireless card. What do you think?

im looking to buy the s10 but cant seem to figure out why people are buying the s10e? can anyone school me on this? i know if you get the s10 over the s10e you getting a better res and you dont get bluetooth but they sell the bluetooth for $13?? wouldnt the $13 justify the better res?

its all personal preference....if you dont mind voiding your warranty to put in BT then i guess its not worth the differnece in the res. but for me i rather not void my warranty and sacrifice a few pixels. plus the s10e when i got it on newegg was cheaper anyways 319 after rebates shipped

I guess I read the label wrong. It says KVR667D2K2S0/2GR. I though it was 2, I guess it's just 1.

Edit: It's half of a 2GB kit, that's were I went wrong.

Last edited:
I really dislike not having a full sized right shift key on this model; it's more annoying than I expected.

I really dislike not having a full sized right shift key on this model; it's more annoying than I expected.

i use the left shift key ...thing i noticed though is i only use the right shift key when i press the "?" never noticed till i got the s10e :D

I guess there is no way to make factory recovery discs for these? I would assume so since they don't have optical drives . . . ?

i made made an windows disc using this tutorial
http://www.s10lenovo.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1475

i dont know if its true or not but i read that the cd key thats on the sticker on the s10 will not work on a regular windows install cd.....but when i made the install cd using the tutorial i did a clean install and it accepted the key just fine.

Interesting.

What I'm going to do is install another sata drive and install XP Pro on it because I need the features in pro for some business uses.

IMAGE_0021.jpg

IMAGE_0031.jpg

IMAGE_0041.jpg

antok86:

What RAM did you put in your s10e? Kingston shows a max memory cap. of 1.5GB, but I know sometimes it's not that accurate.

I also noticed that in the BIOS it has a option for both SATA HDD and SSD Disk. Does this mean that you could put in both, using one as a secondary dive? I think it would be interesting to run Windows on the SSD and leave the SATA drive for just storage. I guess that would mean removing the wireless card to install a mini PCIe SSD drive.

anyone else receive their order?

If you ordered it from lenovo...be prepared to wait.

My had a shipment date of the April 29th, and I ordered it on the 15th.

It's now pushed back to the may 12th.

I canceled it and ordered it from amazon (tigerdirect) I paid a little more
but at least I'll have it tomorrow.

Hmm, the BIOS isn't detailed enough to tell us so you'll have to use third party software. Off the top of my head SiSoft Sandra might be the eastiest.

Also, has anyone noticed that Lenovo removed the 14CN66WW BIOS update from their support website?

ok cool...i didnt do any bios update since i read that it messes up your webcam

Really, I hadn't heard that. I updated it anyways since it said it takes care of a fan issue and that it gives you an option to turn off that system beep when you plug in the A/C adapter. My webcam is working fine as far as I know. The VeriFace software is working fine and I can login using it ok :p

what version bios update version did you use?and where did you get it. according to cpuz my fsb is at 532.0 mhz

I download the 14CN66WW Update from Lenovo's support website. I just checked a few minutes ago and it's not there anymore. The version that came from the factory on mine was 14CW5"something"WW

Update: I checked out Intel's Atom webpage and it says it only goes up to 533MHz, I guess that settles that. :(

I download the 14CN66WW Update from Lenovo's support website. I just checked a few minutes ago and it's not there anymore. The version that came from the factory on mine was 14CW5"something"WW

Update: I checked out Intel's Atom webpage and it says it only goes up to 533MHz, I guess that settles that. :(

why what kind of problems you having with it running at 533?

Oh none, I was just curious to see if the system bus would run at 667MHz if you put in faster ram, but 533 is the cap for the processor.

Oh none, I was just curious to see if the system bus would run at 667MHz if you put in faster ram, but 533 is the cap for the processor.

hey since you use the face log in software...have you tried putting a picture of yourself to see if it will log in ..

I think I just might try that. I have another beater laptop around here some where, I think I might try to hold up the LCD with a picture and see what happens as well as print one out.

So...yea...I printed my mug on an 8.5x11 and it logged me in. :eek:

I also noticed that I don't have to be looking right at it to work either. I've been looking at my other screen and it logs me in even at an angle.

holy hell :rolleyes:

I took a pic on my htc phone and left it on the lcd, yea, it worked fine . . .

So I just noticed that the S10e ships with 512MB of 667MHz ram. What's the deal with that? The Atom only supports 533MHz. Doesn't that seems like a waste or something? I can't imagine it was cheaper to put in faster ram that the unit supports.

what are the pros for s10 vs eeepc?

im really trying to decide between the two.

s10 better in terms of build quality?

I'm pretty happy with the job Lenovo did of putting this together. It doesn't 'feel' cheap at all compaired to other Acer and Asus models. The LCD is solid and I don't feel like when I open it I'm going to break it or anything. It's nice and light without feeling like it's made of plastic.

So . . . overall I guess I'd say the build quality is excellent.

I'm pretty happy with the job Lenovo did of putting this together. It doesn't 'feel' cheap at all compaired to other Acer and Asus models. The LCD is solid and I don't feel like when I open it I'm going to break it or anything. It's nice and light without feeling like it's made of plastic.

So . . . overall I guess I'd say the build quality is excellent.

this is correct :D

Back