Just got a Green screen of death with picture of guy in corner giving thumbs up?!!

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

Was using one of my computers today using Chrome reading about Windows 10 May 2020 update and all of a sudden I got a green screen of death that said that Windows Insider had suffered a problem and that I had a TLDR video issue and percent count on one corner and photo of some guy giving me the thumbs up! Crazy thing is I don't believe that machine is signed up on Insider program and the photo of that guy was crazy suspicious! Anyone experience this??

Wish I took a photo!

Thinking virus?

Thanks.

if it didnt look like this, it might have been one of those fake internet things

1590452372355.png

Said Windows Insider but I don't have Windows insider on that machine and had dumb ass picture of some guy looking stupid. Not only that CTRL-Alt-Delete not work.

Must have landed on a bad page. Now got to run virus scanners.

Great.

Was using Chrome on Windows 1909 and was google searching 'Windows May 2020 update'. Landed on what appeared as a legitimate site. Forbes or other news sites.

At least my machine is hackintoshed dual boot capable and got an Ubuntu VM ready to go.

First pat correct, second part false. He wouldn't be now infected if he used ANY other OS than windows.

Thats true. Felt like a hit and run than outright infection. Anyhow found out after research you could trigger a green screen through a registry hack.
So somehow access to my registry was gained. Microsoft is like swiss cheese. Filled with holes.

Thats true. Felt like a hit and run than outright infection. Anyhow found out after research you could trigger a green screen through a registry hack.
So somehow access to my registry was gained. Microsoft is like swiss cheese. Filled with holes.
are you assuming that or have you actually scanned for malware? that kinda crap can be triggered in a browser and thats probably all that happened. the site you were on is not "legit". its like my older friend whos 60 and panics when the fake "windows virus removal team" popup pops up while hes "researching" god knows what.

Well I used Eset to do a scan other night and it came up empty. Didn't find anything. Anyhow site probably was far from legit.

Are they not all like that, you just need to know where the holes are 😉🤔🤷‍♂️

Are they not all like that, you just need to know where the holes are 😉🤔🤷‍♂️
The big difference is that you have tens of thousands of attacks which target Windows and only a handful for MacOS / Linux. You'd have to seriously win the lottery to run into one. And even then, you'd need to be running behind on updates which on linux are far smoother than Windows.

Reactions: tived
like this
Just read part of the problem is that Chrome is full of security holes. May switch to Firefox.
I haven't used Chrome ever. Firefox is just supreior to it. Much better addons also like adblock, script block etc.

Back