Just got a Corsair K70 Cherry MX

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
It's ok but where is the clicky sound are the keys suppose to click they are silent for the most part unless the bottom out I'm pretty sure mine isn't a MX brown.

I got it because of the contoured WSAD keys it they were not contoured I was hoping it wouldn't suck as much as my Logitech Modern warfare 3 keyboard which going from the S to the W you really needed the keyboard below you on a tray or have arched fingers.

This is a nice keyboard the only complaint on newegg are the backlights go out after a few months which you won't even notice unless you game in low lighting or something.

You will only get the loud clicky sound with the version that uses blue switches.

I just picked up a K70 today myself, with cherry switches, silver with blue LEDs.. I hope the LEDs don't burn out.. I rather like that how nice and bright they are on this kb.

I got it when it first came out. No issues with it so far. All LEDs still working on brightest setting

great... love this KB.. soooo pretty. keys feel so nice :)

great... love this KB.. soooo pretty. keys feel so nice :)

I've read that this keyboard has Cherry stablizers as opposed to Costar stablilzers. That's the only thing keeping me from buying one. Have you used a board with Costar stablilizers? If so, what's your preference on the different types of stablilizers?

I've read that this keyboard has Cherry stablizers as opposed to Costar stablilzers. That's the only thing keeping me from buying one. Have you used a board with Costar stablilizers? If so, what's your preference on the different types of stablilizers?

I can chime in on this having used both;

Costar are nice for utility and are more easily mod-able (eg.; if you want to replace stabilized keys with ones that have oddly placed mounts), but even with thick-wire mods I find them to be rattly (even lubed) and the mount-inserts break easily if you're not careful removing them.

Cherry are hard to mod on boards that have a backplate, may not be compatible with all aftermarket keycaps, and feel mushy when the wire isn't seated properly or is bent; when they are properly installed with a straight wire I find they feel more "solid" and considerably less rattly then Costar though, as well as more resilient when removing keycaps and much easier to remount with.

thanks.. the only other mechanical I have is a monoprice with cherry mx switches and I think cherry stabilizers but I read they also use "fake" costar stabilizers in some of them (monoprice).. I should check on mine. Coming from an old Eclipse II the key sweep on the K70 takes some getting used to for everyday typing. It has a solid feel on the bottom end, there's no rubber bumper feel or anything. The sweep is very smooth. I read Costar stabilizers also make it feel like there's no solid hit at the end of the key sweep. I am not sure if I would like that or not. Is that true?

the brightest LED setting is almost too bright.. lol. I think I will have to roll with medium. ;)

I read Costar stabilizers also make it feel like there's no solid hit at the end of the key sweep. I am not sure if I would like that or not. Is that true?

It's actually Cherry stabs that have a cushioned feel when bottoming out, due to the design of the bottom end of the male mounts; this can be changed by clipping a few tabs if it bothers you, though disassembly and desoldering would be required.

Thanks for posting the thread right when I bought one (Comixbooks). lol.

I'm going to let it break in and see.. I am hoping the bottom out feel softens up just a little. I also wanted to mention I love the volume wheel that's just like the G19's. I missed that a lot when I got rid of my G19 so I got a griffin power mate which I am guessing will be removed from my desk soon. :eek:

Well you are better off with REDS over BLUES... don't get why these companies market gaming boards with BLUE switches because they are vastly inferior to REDS or BLACKS for actual gaming. Just IMO but it's not an uneducated one. Honestly if you need to know what switches you have pop the caps... they are called different colors for a pretty obvious reason.

And as an edit if you want the best get a DUCKY for reds or a DECK for blacks.

I have been FPS gaming since Doom II in 1994 and I can say with certainty my DUCKY with REDS AND O-RINGS is bar none the best most responsive gaming keyboard I have ever used.

Last edited:
I like not having to bottom out the buttons and my character still moves forward the spacebar button is great I didn't know what I was missing. My former board a Microsoft 600 I thought was perfect.
You feel like jumping in game with a good keyboard while with a membrane it's kinda like ok I'll jump now.

So can you put o-rings on the K70? will it give the bottom a more cushioned feel?

PS: ok looks like you can and it does.. looking at these and these
PSS: sorry such a mech kb n00b here lol

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I use the red, 40A-L dampeners from WASD on 3 of my keyboards. I do my best not to bottom out, but sometimes I get carried away. The red dampeners are worth the money in my opinion.

I was using some old 50A o-rings from WASD originally, but they were the old ones they started with and weren't so great (eventually crumbled apart).

Recently I've tried just using the cheap orthodontic bands, and I have to say they've been working amazingly; they are almost squishy feeling and after ~4 months no signs of cracking. I accidentally bought them too big, but I think the fact that they're not tightly around the stem helps to keep them from cracking/being cut when bottoming out a bit hard (heated progression smashing, lol).

As much as I love my G500 I may need a new mouse to match this K70.
;)

Hi, I'm new around these parts but I just wanted to give my opinion as Corsair have been great to me and I love everything I have from them. I had the K90 and loved it!! Unfortunately it had the repeat key problem that some users experienced. I lived with it for a few months before contacting Corsair. They shipped me a brand new K95 without question. I am tempted to sell my K95 which I've left boxed up while I decide in order to pick up the red/black K70 as that thing looks amazing, I'm just a little concerned about the dying led reports. Their mice are great also, I regret selling my M65 last week as my Roccat has died after 2 days use and it seems they don't replace things as easily as Corsair do. The M65 was superb but I have big hands and it didn't suit them unfortunately, I'd love them to make a slightly larger version.

Anyway, you will love the Corsair keyboard, they just ooze quality and class. All the best.

after a month or so with my K70 I am really happy with it. putting the o-rings under the qwerty keys was a great idea though.. for everyday typing it keeps the key sweep less and quiets it down a bit.

Corsair and Cherry announced a new LED MX Key that will debut in a new keyboard at CES. I was going to grab a K70 but I'm holding out and waiting to see what develops from that :)

I put these on my Rosewill mechanical keyboard... cheap and perfect fitting (cheapest o-ring solution I am aware of)... I am most pleased with the results these achieved..

http://www.amazon.com/008-Buna-N-O-Ring-Durometer-Round/dp/B0051XWXCE/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

if doing this job...I strongly recommend having one of these tools

http://www.amazon.com/WASD-Keyboards-Wire-Keycap-Puller/dp/B00AZCGF7K/ref=pd_sim_indust_1

WASD has some video showing how to remove the keycaps on the stabilized keys...(on costar stabilized boards at least

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well you are better off with REDS over BLUES... don't get why these companies market gaming boards with BLUE switches because they are vastly inferior to REDS or BLACKS for actual gaming. Just IMO but it's not an uneducated one. Honestly if you need to know what switches you have pop the caps... they are called different colors for a pretty obvious reason.

And as an edit if you want the best get a DUCKY for reds or a DECK for blacks.

I have been FPS gaming since Doom II in 1994 and I can say with certainty my DUCKY with REDS AND O-RINGS is bar none the best most responsive gaming keyboard I have ever used.

How are Cherry MX Blues inferior for gaming? The only thing that's different is the noise the keys make. I've gamed on Cherry MX Blue based keyboards for years without issues. Before that I had a Cherry MX Black based Deck Ice Legend. Great board, but in no way was that superior for gaming. It was a little quieter, but I don't mind the clicking. Even with as much gaming as I do, I type more. The Blues just feel better to me.

I can game as effectively on a membrane keyboard. As long as it supports NKRO a keyboard doesn't change a thing. Anyone who says otherwise is talking nonsense.

How are Cherry MX Blues inferior for gaming? The only thing that's different is the noise the keys make. I've gamed on Cherry MX Blue based keyboards for years without issues. Before that I had a Cherry MX Black based Deck Ice Legend. Great board, but in no way was that superior for gaming. It was a little quieter, but I don't mind the clicking. Even with as much gaming as I do, I type more. The Blues just feel better to me.

I can game as effectively on a membrane keyboard. As long as it supports NKRO a keyboard doesn't change a thing. Anyone who says otherwise is talking nonsense.

It shouldn't be a normal occurrence, but the hysteretic action of MX blue can cause issues with double/multi-tapping keys in some circumstances (mostly when trying to hover at the point of actuation). I would not call MX blue inferior to any other MX switch because of this though, only because successfully hovering at the point of actuation while double/multi-tapping is quite impossible to do in an efficient manner.

They should be coming out with a new model of this with multi color LED's, so im so in for one..

Do you not find the keys too sensitive for gaming? I havnt gotten used to mine. I may return it.

It shouldn't be a normal occurrence, but the hysteretic action of MX blue can cause issues with double/multi-tapping keys in some circumstances (mostly when trying to hover at the point of actuation). I would not call MX blue inferior to any other MX switch because of this though, only because successfully hovering at the point of actuation while double/multi-tapping is quite impossible to do in an efficient manner.

Someone pressing the key down near the actuation point and holding it is user issue. That's not a design issue.

Someone pressing the key down near the actuation point and holding it is user issue. That's not a design issue.

Not quite what I was trying to get across. Aside from MX blue/green/white, you can float Cherry MX swithes near the actuation point, wiggle your finger, and technically get it to actuate faster than you would be able to while fully depressing/releasing the key, but it's not really humanly possible to do such consistently; because of the mechanical design of MX blue/green/white this isn't possible, but in nearly every case it won't be an issue.

bit of a nerco here but my F10 led burned out last week. not a big deal but kind of a bummer. I hope more don't go. I just ordered the K70 RGB for my gaming setup... that should be fun. I have lots of o-rings left over from my order of those for the blue K70.

Back