Just got a 512mb EVGA AGP card

Hey, just wanted to rant about the video card I picked up today.. had to replace two solid caps ( hidden electrolytics ? ) with two electrolytic caps and she works. :D

N7600A-PB 512MB

Anyone else own the same video card ?

What about performance marks ??? ( I don't have agp pc at the moment )

Enjoy [H]

so thats a 7600? are you really asking how that card will perform in modern games? well look at the slow 8600gt benchmarks and divide that by two or three for current titles.

There is something nostalgic about an AGP card.....thumbs up fer ya!

Thank you everyone. I suppose games would be out of the question.. Altho at this point there must be other applications for agp cards ?

Yes, owning an agp is nice however being a 512mb is the cherry on top :D Was there bigger than 512mb released for agp ? I'm also thinking about getting an Asus P4P800 board to run this on with a Pentium 2.8Ghz 800fsb chip.

Ideas ?

Thank you everyone. I suppose games would be out of the question.. Altho at this point there must be other applications for agp cards ?

Yes, owning an agp is nice however being a 512mb is the cherry on top :D Was there bigger than 512mb released for agp ? I'm also thinking about getting an Asus P4P800 board to run this on with a Pentium 2.8Ghz 800fsb chip.

Ideas ?
512mb means absolutely nothing on a card that can barely utilize much more than 128mb. thats just marketing BS for those that dont have a clue about video cards.

512mb means absolutely nothing on a card that can barely utilize much more than 128mb. thats just marketing BS for those that dont have a clue about video cards.

Come on don't shit on the guy's parade. He probably got it for very cheap. Depending on the games he plays it will depend whether the game uses the frame buffer. Look at it this way it won't hurt to have 512mb.

Good find OP enjoy.

Come on don't shit on the guy's parade. He probably got it for very cheap. Depending on the games he plays it will depend whether the game uses the frame buffer. Look at it this way it won't hurt to have 512mb.

Good find OP enjoy.
so how is me educating him shitting on his parade? I am trying to make the op understand that falling for the more memory must be better trick is silly. and there is no gaming scenario out there where a 7600 could utilize more than 256mb.

Good find OP enjoy.

Rather yes indeed I did get it for very cheap lol.. Not even a penny ! I just had to solder new caps on and that was it. Original owner didn't want it for that simple factor.

cannondale06 - Do you speak true of how much memory a video card can use.. when say dealing with pci-e cards aswell ? Or is this just an agp limitation ?

the card just isn't fast enough to chug through that much texture data per frame at a reasonable rate, that's all. my 7800gs is only 256MB

Rather yes indeed I did get it for very cheap lol.. Not even a penny ! I just had to solder new caps on and that was it. Original owner didn't want it for that simple factor.

cannondale06 - Do you speak true of how much memory a video card can use.. when say dealing with pci-e cards aswell ? Or is this just an agp limitation ?
nothing really to do with pci-e or agp. a weak card cant utilize very much memory because it cant run a graphically demanding game at high resolutions and settings. the amount of memory that is needed is related to how powerful the video card is. a plain 7600 is only half as powerful as an 8600gt and even that card doesnt need more than 256mb. sometimes card makers stick more memory on slow cards just to bump up the price for those that dont know any better.

so how is me educating him shitting on his parade? I am trying to make the op understand that falling for the more memory must be better trick is silly. and there is no gaming scenario out there where a 7600 could utilize more than 256mb.

Older games at higher resolutions with AA and you'll definitely be bumping into the 512mb frame buffer. Not everyone plays crysis at insane resolutions. Re-education in the manner that you chose isn't really re-educating.

He might not even game. Who cares he got it for free basically! So really he didn't read into any the "marketing BS" because he didn't even buy the card.

Older games at higher resolutions with AA and you'll definitely be bumping into the 512mb frame buffer. Not everyone plays crysis at insane resolutions. Re-education in the manner of your choose isn't really re-educating.

He might not even game. Who cares he got it for free basically!
wow. a game that is old enough for a 7600 to run at high settings and resolutions isnt going to be that graphically demanding anyway so sorry but youre wrong. 512mb is completely useless for gaming on a plain 7600.

I'm rather glad I made my first post than !! Since I never did think about this before. Yes I admit myself that I always prefered a video card with more memory.

I should stay in the relm of the 7600, however I would like to submit a second yet new video card model to the same regards of speed and memory..

8800GTS 640mb vs 8800GTX 768mb limitations or can these cards both handle everything the creator built them for ? ( Since I own the 8800GTX, I wouldn't mind to know the answer to this ) Thanks

wow. a game that is old enough for a 7600 to run at high settings and resolutions isnt going to be that graphically demanding anyway so sorry but youre wrong. 512mb is completely useless for gaming on a plain 7600.

While I could go back and fourth with you all night it doesn't matter. He got it for free by doing some repair work on it in the end it could have 128mb or 4 gigs of memory on it, it doesn't really matter free is free. I'd be overjoyed if i got a pentuim 3 board for free by just repairing a few caps on it.

osrk , cannondale06 ..

I hope my questions aren't starting a war here... I will be looking at both responses either way.

The only thing I hate myself for and proves I really don't look into marketing much, is I spent 1200 CAD on my 8800GTX OC from BFG - which means I learnt my lesson the hard way. Its worth waiting for a price drop lol. :p

While I could go back and fourth with you all night it doesn't matter. He got it for free by doing some repair work on it in the end it could have 128mb or 4 gigs of memory on it, it doesn't really matter free is free. I'd be overjoyed if i got a pentuim 3 board for free by just repairing a few caps on it.

I have some I could send your way.. All working too for free .. + shipping ?

Im not knocking the card now. I was simply replying to his comment about it being a 512mb card. thats all. :cool:

Could you send me a pm on which boards you have? I'm looking to put my old p3 1ghz chip to work in an ipcop role. Thanks!

Are you using slot or socket ? Also I'll respond with the boards I have in a few hours.. I'm not at my place right now ;) I have both slot and socket style

to replay to your previous statements, no the 8800gtx wasn't a waste with 768mb ram because the GPU was more then able to utilize this much buffering due to it's speed and bus size. The 8800gts 640mb on the other hand was kinda over kill for "most" applications unless you were able to OC it nicely and used 19x12 resolutions. If you look back at the 8800gts 320mb vr's 640mb debates, you'll see very little difference except on the upper resolutions with heavy shaders usage. Unfortunately by that time the FPS dropped to the point of unplayability due to GPU running outa speed. (please correct if needed)

Back