just got a 3930k. Help with the rest of the upgrade.

stevedave

Supreme [H]ardness
Since I got this CPU for 200 bucks I'd like to keep the deals coming, but not buy crap.

What I was thinking was the following \/ but would like to know if there is any major differences or warnings I should know about. I'm fine with openbox haven't burned yet.

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme open box for 300
ASUS P9X79 PRO open box for 230
MSI X79A-GD45 new for 230

Ram seems a simple just any 4x2 gig kit should do.

I plan on upgrading from 2x GTX 460 to 1x gtx 670 running 3x1920x1080 surround. Anything I should know before doing so and will I be able to reuse my Antec EA 650 power supply.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Will you please answer the sticky questions so we can help you better.

It's not recommended to grab a 4x2GB kit of RAM. Hopefully you meant 2x4GB kit, just make sure it's 1.5v or less.

You're going from SLI'd GTX 460s to a single GTX 470 and intend to run three 1920x1080 monitors in Surround? You can't. The 400 series requires a second GPU to run surround on three monitors.

Dude, send me a PM with your supplier of 3930K cpus!

Anyway, I would go with the P9X79 Pro since it looks like you don't plan to SLI. If SLI is in your future get the RIVE.

Also, you need to go SLI if you are going to run surround with a 4XX series set of GPUs. Personally I think you should get a AMD 7850 and use it for Eyefinity. Those cards are priced well and overclock like a beast. The 7850 will also outperform the 470.

Your PSU will be fine unless you plan to go 4XX series SLI. 4XX is a power hog and that along with overclocking a 3930K will be too much for your EA650. Your PSU will also be fine with a 7850.

Sorry that was a Type O I ment a GTX 670 not 470.....470 not much of an upgrade from 2 460x

I plan on getting 1 gtx 670 now and SLIing when the price drops to sub 200.

For ram just going to get something like 2 sets of Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 30 bucks each.

It was part of the retail edge deal and my supplier could only get 1.

1) All
2) None really
3) US
4) What I listed RAM, MB, and a GTX 670.....PS if needed. O yeah and COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 heat sync, will it fit?
5) Antec EA650
6) Yes to 4.5 no need to go higher
7) I have 2560x1600 and 3x1920x1080
8) within 2 weeks
10) windows 7 64bit.

edit. Thanks for the quick response

Last edited:
RAM is over priced, which is one reason why I recommended going with a 2x4GB kit.

$46.99 - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

This also allows you to upgrade to 16GB at a later time.

As for the CPU heat sink it depends on what case you are going with, though I'd still recommend doing with the CM 212+ cooler.

That 650W PSU should be fine with SLI'd 670s. They don't really use that much power, but it will be rather close. I'd recommend upping that to a 750W unit just to be on the safer side, but that's up to you.

Ok, you'll want to buy another PSU since you are going SLI since the EA 650 only has 2x PCI-E cables. You could use adapters, but with that hungry 3930K you should grab a quality 750w PSU.

For a HSF I'd buy a CM 212+ with 2011 adapter or get a Noctua NH-D14 SE2011.

Good suggestion on the CPU heat sync but I'm going to stick with mine because I also have a Thermalright spitfire which rest right above the CPU sync which makes for a pretty sexy triple fan cooling system.

Looks like I need a bracket for the GeminII. Is the GPU brackets the same as the gtx 400 and 500 series?

I'll keep my PSU for now and shop around for a good deal....I wont be going SLI until the GTX 670 is around 200 bucks which will be months from now.

The main suggestions I wanted where about the motherboards because there seems to so little difference between any of the 2011 socket MB's. I'll probably go with ASUS P9X79 PRO as it seems to be the safest and most popular and I can't seem to find a good site the identifies the performance difference between boards.

edit.

Also found this for 250 new which seems to be the best deal and I have always liked EVGA. EVGA X79 SLI 132-SE-E775-KR LGA 2011 Tons of bad reviews but they are newegg reviews so it means little.

Last edited:
Good suggestion on the CPU heat sync but I'm going to stick with mine because I also have a Thermalright spitfire which rest right above the CPU sync which makes for a pretty sexy triple fan cooling system.

Looks like I need a bracket for the GeminII. Is the GPU brackets the same as the gtx 400 and 500 series?

I'll keep my PSU for now and shop around for a good deal....I wont be going SLI until the GTX 670 is around 200 bucks which will be months from now.

The main suggestions I wanted where about the motherboards because there seems to so little difference between any of the 2011 socket MB's. I'll probably go with ASUS P9X79 PRO as it seems to be the safest and most popular and I can't seem to find a good site the identifies the performance difference between boards.

edit.

Also found this for 250 new which seems to be the best deal and I have always liked EVGA. EVGA X79 SLI 132-SE-E775-KR LGA 2011 Tons of bad reviews but they are newegg reviews so it means little.
Months? Try years there buddy. :p

Back