Just got a 3008WFP. *snicker* Black level needs help. -Warning: Steel your nerves-

MisterDNA

[H]ard|Gawd
Cool. Big freaking beast of a monitor.
DSC02044s.jpg

Hey... why's my stand so crooked?
DSC02045s.jpg

I don't think the warranty covers that.
DSC02051s.jpg

Hail Eris!? Did this thing fall off a truck at-speed?
DSC02053s.jpg

Enjoy some colorful photos. I may snap some better ones later:
DSC02054s.jpg

DSC02055s.jpg

DSC02056s.jpg

DSC02058s.jpg

DSC02059s.jpg

Is it even economical fixing that thing? You don't even know if the electronics behind that shattered panel are still usable.

Is it even economical fixing that thing? You don't even know if the electronics behind that shattered panel are still usable.

I do now. I connected my ThinkPad to the VGA port and set monitor power save to 1 minute and waited it out. When the display shut off on the laptop, I scrolled through the input choices hoping to find one that put the panel in power save mode. I found it and replicated the transition. The logic is good as far as recognizing that command.

Just after I posted, I realized that if I knew I had the right input, I could see if one tiny shred of the display would respond to anything at all. I dragged a window onto the broken Dell and saw the title bar at the very top. The panel is the only broken part.

Every now and then I've seen the actual LCD panels for sale on Ebay. Depending on what the OP paid for the 3008WFP monitor and depending on what he can snag an LCD for, it may in fact be quite economical. It could even be just about the cheapest road to having a working 3008WFP that isn't illegal.

Holy... Man, those pictures made me feel physical pain. Damn!

as-is. The guy I bought it from got it like this from I-don't-know-where.

I'd love to see the description of that auction/sale. Or was this private.

What kind of sale was this? Anything in writing? Any record?

Did it say "Looks like a semi truck ran it over several times. Sold in as is condition" ?

I really hope there's some kind of avenue of recompense you can pursue here, OP.

Selling the broken panel for the backlight tubes in it would EASILY recover what this cost me.

I've seen and repaired worse.

safety glass will shatter that way. good luck on that.

True safety glass is tempered and annealed, capturing internal stresses that make the glass stronger. It breaks into pebble-sized pieces, as opposed to shards like this did.

What does that have to do with this project, anyway? Are you suggesting I would somehow repair the broken glass sheets?

The idea is to find an LCD module to replace the broken one.

Haha... loved how it was presented initially if nothing or very little was wrong with it. :D

A new panel - LM300WQ5 - seems to sell for anything between about $300 to $500 on Taobao.com ... which might be the only option to obtain such a panel right now.

Dang that's crazy :eek: If/when you do fix it post some pics so we can see how it's done!

Haha... loved how it was presented initially if nothing or very little was wrong with it. :D

A new panel - LM300WQ5 - seems to sell for anything between about $300 to $500 on Taobao.com ... which might be the only option to obtain such a panel right now.

I've heard of Taobao, but never tried it because I don't know how to read Chinese. I see they have no native English option, but they do have agents who can take care of that part.

Last edited:
So it's safe to assume that the previous owner used the monitor to beat his wife to death?

(Only half kidding.)

Gave it a test-fit at my desk. Tight fit is an understatement. It's funny, really. I put the monitor on my desk and thought "hell, this thing's a wall" and remembered I was wearing my glasses (make everything look smaller). I took the glasses off and thought "overkill", which is a good thing. Once I fix the 30" panel, my wife can take my 2001FP and have a pair of those to herself.

DSC02063s.jpg

Taobao it is. I'm working with an agent to get this done. However, since I have my second shed and the accompanying Dashcat move to go with it, the 3008WFP has to go backburner for a bit. I will have a new panel ordered (and hopefully received) by Halloween, though.

I just bought a new stand for my project monitor to replace the bent one.

While I had to push back my project a bit due to the shed purchase, I'm still on for it.

Must have pixels.

I found a company stateside that offers the panel I need with a one year warranty for about what an agent wants to charge me for the same panel with no warranty (due to distance).

I finally installed the new stand I bought, correcting the crookedness of the display. I'd have switched them sooner but the screws are Torx type and I lost track of that bit. Got a new set for Christmas, though.

I found a company stateside that offers the panel I need with a one year warranty for about what an agent wants to charge me for the same panel with no warranty (due to distance).

I finally installed the new stand I bought, correcting the crookedness of the display. I'd have switched them sooner but the screws are Torx type and I lost track of that bit. Got a new set for Christmas, though.

I'm interested in seeing how your repair goes.

Panel has been ordered. The company says to allow 2-5 business days before it ships out and 2-3 days for arrival (I paid for USPS Priority Mail). I should receive the panel in 4-8 business days so next week basically.

Well, this just got a bit complicated. Turns out the company offering the panel stateside is pulling a bait and switch. They want me to pay $805.98 now, as opposed to the $530 it was going to cost me when I ordered it at the website. Not gonna do it. I'm going with Taobao. I have a friend over in China right now so maybe I can avoid the commission charge of an agent.

Okay the wheels are turning again. Taobao was going to cost $600 due to fees and miscalculated shipping weight versus the original quote so I played the waiting game stateside. I just scored an entire display for $580 with an unknown issue preventing it from powering on. Logic board and power supply can both do that.

Not only am I guaranteed the right version of the LM300WQ5 panel, I also get a chassis that isn't beat to shit.

Got the parts monitor, swapped the PSU, logic and inverter from the cracked one to the good one. It works perfectly. Though I must say even on brightness zero it's still very bright.

I just need a DL-DVI cable or displayport cable to run higher than 1920x1200 now.

Back