Just got a 1440p monitor should I upgrade to a 1070 or wait for next gen from Nvidia ?

Topic

• Keep what I got the 1060

Votes: 37 92.5%
  • get the 1070

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters

Subzerok11

Gawd
I currently got a 1060 by the way. I'd like to get a 1070 but at $500 seems too high. Amazon even got the 1070 TI for only $50 more which maybe worth it. I'm going to wait a bit either way I'm hoping that the prices will continue to fall.

So wait possibly till next spring ?? These current gpu's still selling very well, do you really think they will release this year ?

I would say wait, or bump up a model, 1440p and 1070 is borderline cutting it (DEPENDING ON GAME)..... especially if your shooting for, or anywhere close to 144hz....

I mean, for older games like csgo, or quake live, ect, no issue, but newer games, like pubg and the likes....really starts getting borderline.....

that said, for 60fps / 60hz..... should be no issue with a 1070

Last edited:
As someone who already had a 1440p monitor, I was tossing up between a 1060 and 1070. I settled for the 1070, but ultimately given it's 60hz, I probably would've been just fine with a 1060. I would consider myself a 'casual gamer' these days, as I just don't have the time (and motiviation sometimes :p).

I was upgrading from a GTX 750 Ti (i stopped gaming altogether and gave my brother my GTX 670 (which died lol)), so my choice was probably a much much bigger jump.

Given you already have a 1060, wait it out. Drop some settings like AA (1440p usually has ever slightly higher pixel density, so it's not as required as 1080p). Drop shadows to low/medium. And some things like that. You should find Medium-High settings will still be very achievable at near or above 60fps in most games. Definitely in games like Dota, CSGO, Overwatch, Fortnite, etc if you play any of those.

Even a game like BF1 with a little tweaking will see you over 60fps.

PS update that sig and show off that screen :p.

So close to the new series, definitely kick your patience rating up a notch (i know its hard) and wait it out.

tbh I run a 1440-144hz monitor and I had a 1070 Asus STrix card. It was OK. I eventually went to a 1080ti FE card I got used off the forums before prices went crazy. The 1080ti is much better IMO for 1440p. I'd run what you have now and just nerf image settings or lower resolution to 1080p. Wait for next gen and I think you'll be happier overall. Assuming the usually leap in performance etc... 1170 being bout what a 1080ti is. Or whatever newer card is similar to 1080ti performance or better, if you can afford it.

Is it a 60hz or 144hz monitor? 60hz is super easy for the 1070, but 1440p144hz is way harder to run than 4k60. But I wouldn't bother with any 1000 series at this point. Wait!

Keep it for now, wait for next generation - even if the new cards aren't amazing value, current gen cards pricing will decline for sure in the upcoming months.

1080's going for $550 shipped right now on Newegg. I think it would be worth scraping up am extra $50 for one of those instead. 1080's are perfect for 1440 and will chew up any game at that resolution.

You are going to struggle a bit with the 1060 @ 1440p/144hz. And that's assuming it's 16:9. If it's an ultrawide it's really going to be rough. If you wait for new cards prepare to be patient.

Based on my experience buying a 980ti near the end of life worked out well considering it is close to a 1070. That being said when you are this close to a new series it is hard to justify the inflated prices, unless next gen MSRP is way up too.

Based on my experience buying a 980ti near the end of life worked out well considering it is close to a 1070. That being said when you are this close to a new series it is hard to justify the inflated prices, unless next gen MSRP is way up too.

somehow I'm just not able to agree with you that $530 (AR) was an inflated price for an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW o_O

Next gen is looking closer to September now. So at least 3 months away.

Back