Just got 980 ti SLI

8350 with $1200 worth of GPUs eeeeeeeeeek
I know right? Up next is an upgrade to x99 most likely. I'm just waiting for next gen release of and and maybe Intel. For now the 8350 is fine for me. Also, I didn't pay $1200 for those GPUs. I got about $700 invested.

So I have come to the sad conclusion that I am pushing the max draw for the one 15a circuit going to my office with these 980ti's and the voltage drops to like 115 when they load which is why the lights are flickering. If we owned this house I would spring for a dedicated 20a circuit in a heartbeat for my PCs - but this room is up stairs and a bit of a haul away from the breaker box. I could turn off all my other electronics but I would rather not have to do that to run my gaming PC. I guess I'm going to put these 980ti's up for sale and wait for Pascal. I figure I'll eventually be able to replace my 970s with one Pascal based card that's more power efficient with more GPU horse power as well. Well, I guess we will see. I'm bummed about this but also tired of fussing over it and just want to get back to gaming.

PS: I turned off vsync also in TW3 and it does make the game a lot smoother. I see some tearing sometimes but I am tuning it out. The fps benefit of running sans vsync outweighs the occasional tearing.

So I have come to the sad conclusion that I am pushing the max draw for the one 15a circuit going to my office with these 980ti's and the voltage drops to like 115 when they load which is why the lights are flickering. If we owned this house I would spring for a dedicated 20a circuit in a heartbeat for my PCs - but this room is up stairs and a bit of a haul away from the breaker box. I could turn off all my other electronics but I would rather not have to do that to run my gaming PC. I guess I'm going to put these 980ti's up for sale and wait for Pascal. I figure I'll eventually be able to replace my 970s with one Pascal based card that's more power efficient with more GPU horse power as well. Well, I guess we will see. I'm bummed about this but also tired of fussing over it and just want to get back to gaming.

PS: I turned off vsync also in TW3 and it does make the game a lot smoother. I see some tearing sometimes but I am tuning it out. The fps benefit of running sans vsync outweighs the occasional tearing.

I had a similar issue back when I was running 780s in SLI on my 2600k build. Between 2 PCs, 3 monitors, a tv, modem/routers, NAS, my circuit was about at the max load already. Then I added a portable AC to the same circuit for the summer. All was fine until my PC would go under load, the breaker would kick off.
For a temporary remedy, I bought a nice heavy duty extension cord (12 gauge I think it was) and ran it to the guest room across the hall and let it power only my tower. Never had any other breaker issues after that :) Toward the end of that summer I had the heat/ac completely redone in my house and ditched the portable AC units I had been using. Since then everything has been fine.

Yeah - I debated the extension cord more than once (running to a dedicated circ in the bathroom nearby) but I just didn't like that as it would have been a more or less permanent solution - it would just be ugly as hell and I know the wife would trip over it. If we owned this house it would be a whole different situation. For now though, I'm pretty happy with what I got.

edit: the other thing I debated was running a single 980ti but the two 970's seem faster while playing TW3. Though I might have forgotten to apply the pci-e 3.0 hack when I tested that.. so I might try again.. the other other idea I had was trading the 980ti's for some 980s + cash and gaining a few more processing units and such.. but it doesn't seem like enough of a gain for the cost..

Last edited:
Man, I'd be happy if I were you. Lights fickering every time I power up my computer. That would have been awesome. It would feel so powerful. "Step back! I'm about to turn my PC on!".

lol.. right - or - don't mind the flicker.. wer're electrocuting someone in the basement. :eek: I am thinking about trying a single 980ti again, my 77% ASIC one and OCing it to max and seeing how it does with TW3.. that's all I really care about right now. Even if it's dead even with the 970 sli I think I will opt for the 980ti as a single card solution.

edit: one GTX980ti works great for 4k. Better than my 970sli setup - smoother and generally 10fps faster.. still messing with overclocks.

Last edited:
Back