Just got 512 MB more RAM...its not recognized?

live2sk8

Limp Gawd
First off, specs:

Chaintech VNF3-250
A64 3000+ 754
512 MB Corsair XMS DDR333
eVGA 6800 GT

Anyway, I just got 512 MB of Corsair XMS Platinum series DDR400 today (the 400 was actually $21 less than the stick identical to mine). Anyway, after installing it, I rebooted and it still only recognizes 512 MB of RAM. I tried installing the new stick in both DIMM 2 and DIMM 3 (the motherboard manual says it will work in either slot) and no luck.

Any ideas? Is there a compatibility issue do you think? Thanks for any help.

Try this take out your older Memory Module and Put in the New one see if that works if it doesn't maybe that memory module is not working.

When I take out the stick of PC2700, the new stick is recognized and runs fine at 200 MHz - I am going to reboot now and try sticking the old, PC2700 stick in DIMM 2 or DIMM 3.

I guess if that doesn't work, I'll just sell this old stick on eBay and order another stick of PC3200, If I could get just $75 for it then it'd cost about the same as sending this stick of PC3200 back and getting another stick of 2700.

Still doesn't work. I'm not quite sure what to do now - is it possible that DIMMs 2 and 3 are defective, or that these two sticks just don't work together?

considering that they are different speeds, they probably just don't work together. sorry dude

try the new stick in one of the other dimms w/the other stick out. and the speed difference *should* just make the faster one run at the same speed as the slower one.

consider that many motherboards have restrictions as to whether which stick of ram can be single sided, or dual sided, and which of the two can be combined in each slot. i.e. my gigabyte motherboard will take 2 double sided dimms in dual channel mode, but i can only add 2 more dimms in dual channel mode if they are single sided. that might have something to do with it..

I have the same board and am currently running a 512 stick in slots 1 and 3 with no problems. Good luck trying to run more than that though.

Back