Just Got 2405 replacing Sony G500

Sgt Rock

Limp Gawd
Just a quick note:

Just got my new 2405 today ($732 deal last week) and took down my old Sony CPD-G500 CRT and WOW what a difference, great colors, good blacks, etc.

Just ran some monitor tests on it and NO dead pixles and little to no "glowing" in the corners.

Very happy as I thought it would not be able to truly replace my trinitron but I needed the extra real estate and am very glad I made the jump.

And yes I game quite a bit and have yet to have any of the ghosting that others talk about.

So it closing get it while you can and with new ones coming out you should be able to get a great deal soon.

Now I just wish there were more Wide Aspect games out there!

Congrats on the new lcd

BTW, if your Sony G-500 has poor blacks or excessive brightness, then it may have what is known as the "brightness issue", known to affect the G-500 and some other trinitrons.

If you're interested in fixing it and keeping it as a spare, check out this thread to learn a coupla different ways: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=993650

One way is to solder a 10cent resistor (it's an easy mod). The other way involves purchasing and using a $40ish dollar interface tool but you won't have to open the case to use it.

Sgt Rock said:
Just a quick note:

Just got my new 2405 today ($732 deal last week) and took down my old Sony CPD-G500 CRT and WOW what a difference, great colors, good blacks, etc.

Just ran some monitor tests on it and NO dead pixles and little to no "glowing" in the corners.

Very happy as I thought it would not be able to truly replace my trinitron but I needed the extra real estate and am very glad I made the jump.

And yes I game quite a bit and have yet to have any of the ghosting that others talk about.

So it closing get it while you can and with new ones coming out you should be able to get a great deal soon.

Now I just wish there were more Wide Aspect games out there!

I thought about pulling the trigger on the 2405 since the price is low. Getting tired of waiting for the new dell's.

I was thinking the same thing about waiting on the new versions, but everything I read was stating that they would be a small step better but there would also be the price increase for the new models (over the current deal). So about same performance with an INCREDIBLE price I could not say no. I am so happy I jumped in when I did, no buyers remorse here.

SJetski71, thanks for the link I will try that out and use it for a head unit on another system.

Sgt Rock said:
I was thinking the same thing about waiting on the new versions, but everything I read was stating that they would be a small step better but there would also be the price increase for the new models (over the current deal). So about same performance with an INCREDIBLE price I could not say no. I am so happy I jumped in when I did, no buyers remorse here.

SJetski71, thanks for the link I will try that out and use it for a head unit on another system.
Which monitor are you getting?

i got my 2405fpw yesterday, couldnt pass up the $732 price either, and HDCP is of no concern to me to wait for the 2407.

i was nervous hooking it up after reading so much about backlight bleeding and dead pixels, but the monitor i got is perfect!

after adjusting the colors, and turning the brightness to 0, i'm awestruck at how impressive the screen is coming from a 21" CRT.

the ghosting was terrible untill i realized vsync was turned off.
it's still there, but only if i look for it and very minimal now.

michealo said:
i got my 2405fpw yesterday, couldnt pass up the $732 price either, and HDCP is of no concern to me to wait for the 2407.

i was nervous hooking it up after reading so much about backlight bleeding and dead pixels, but the monitor i got is perfect!

after adjusting the colors, and turning the brightness to 0, i'm awestruck at how impressive the screen is coming from a 21" CRT.

the ghosting was terrible untill i realized vsync was turned off.
it's still there, but only if i look for it and very minimal now.

So VSYNC is suppose to be turned on with flat panels? I have been using a CRT for so long and had it turned off to get higher frame rates. That is a great bit of information to know. As I was trying this test and saw quite a bit of ghosting. Ghosting Test turning on VSYNC cut down the ghosting a ton!

Again thanks for the tip.

Not to derail the thread but yeah tearing is found on both display types. Only difference some people find tearing less noticable @ 100Hz and so on. This might be why LCDs get a bad rap for tearing. Some people didn't notice at 100Hz so much but they do at 60Hz... like that. Many CRT guys use vsync as well because it is the only way to REALLY get rid of tearing and then it's a pretty moot point. Pro or con of neither. The video card just isnt synced to the refresh rate and that's that.

I was so nervous about purchasing this monitor, but the level of advice on this forum is phenomenal. I've don't regret coming from a 21" CRT one bit. The 2405 is a superb screen and I'm overjoyed with it.

Incidentally, do you 'force' VSYNC via your vid drivers...i.e. nvidia panel?

You can set it up in your Vid control panel (Nvidia). Really does make a nice difference.

Might as well select triple buffering if you are going to leave vsync on at all times.It may not always come on in games that don't support it in say, Direct X. But no harm. It helps even out the frame rate when used with vsync in games that support the feature.

texuspete00 said:
Might as well select triple buffering if you are going to leave vsync on at all times.It may not always come on in games that don't support it in say, Direct X. But no harm. It helps even out the frame rate when used with vsync in games that support the feature.

Uncanny, I was actually looking into this today and many people say that Triple buffering helps even the framerates out. As you say, it may help a lot.

thanks for the advice dudes.

How did you guys buy the 2405 yesterday for $732 rather than the $799 price currently on the Dell website? Is there a discount code available somewhere?

thanks

You can buy a $35 off coupon from eBay for $1-2. You also get an additional 2% discount when you use Dell Preferred Account. If you open a new DPA, they give you a $25 discount instead of 2% for the first time.

Back