Just getting back into PC gaming

Crapinapale

Limp Gawd
I'm about to receive a decent computer from my parents (I don't remember it's entire specs, but 8800GT or GTS and like 3gb of ram are the main ones I can remember), that I put together for them about a year ago. They're moving on to using two laptops now, ends up being easier for both of them. This means I'm getting their old computer for free. On top of a few upgrades I'm psuedo-planning (can't really set anything firmly until I find out what I put in it), I want to buy some games to catch up with.

The most recent thing I've played is Half Life 2: Episode one or Battlefield 2142. I played episode 2 on my 360, so there's no need for me to get that. I really like fps games, but also dabble in RTS.

I'm looking at Stalker (it looks really great and everyone on here seems to like it) and possibly Crysis. Are these a good place to pick the hobby/addiction back up? :)

I'm playing through Deadspace right now. It's pretty great I think.

UT III Black. Free weekend is coming up again. If you like it, it's $12. Can't go wrong.

Point Click. Point Click. Point Click.

Try Colin Mcrae DiRT, Devil May Cry 4, Silent Hill, World of Goo, HAWX

It all depends on what you like to play. If you like FPS, then I understand you'll have a hard time deciding since they're all similar. :cool:

Best games I've played lately:

Stalker:SoC
Crysis
Dawn of War 2 (RTS)
Call of Duty 4
Left4Dead (especially if you have friends you can play with coop style)

Haven't started Stalker:CS yet but it's on my list...can't say whether its good or not yet.

Stalker SoC and CS
The Orange Box
The Witcher EE
Mirror's Edge
Dead Space
Crysis & Warhead
CoD 4
Burnout Paradise
GTA IV

That should keep you going for a while....!

Awesome thanks!

Sadly I can't participate in the free weekend for UT3 (I'm not getting the computer for about a week or so), but honestly $12 is something I can risk, even if it turns out to only be mediocre. Crysis and Deadspace look sweet, I just hope my computer can run Crysis (I don't need to max out, hell I can go all low so long as it's an enjoyable game).

This is kind of out there on a tangent, but I'm probably going to need to format the hard disk and then reinstall some form of windows. Any recommendations on whether I should go Vista or stick with XP? Last I heard (remember it's been about 2 years since I've actually followed PC's) Vista was a resource hog and rather picky with games. Has it improved or would I be better sticking with XP until windows 7?

Sorry about all the questions, it's hard going back, but now that it's actually financially feasible for me...I see no reason not to :)

I guess the best way to pick back up is to just browse through all the threads here, too. Thanks again everyone :D

For your RTS:
Sins of a Solar Empire
DoW2
also consider Empire Total War it's RTS/turn based

This is kind of out there on a tangent, but I'm probably going to need to format the hard disk and then reinstall some form of windows. Any recommendations on whether I should go Vista or stick with XP? Last I heard (remember it's been about 2 years since I've actually followed PC's) Vista was a resource hog and rather picky with games. Has it improved or would I be better sticking with XP until windows 7?

To answer that question, go to my topic I made.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1398752

I'm still using XP but I might make the jump to Vista this summer once I've gotten my debt cleared.

Vista has its pros and cons. If you've already got a disk for XP, stick with that and save yourself the money. If you've got to buy a new disk, go with Vista 64bit for the extra RAM capability.

This late into the game, I think sticking with XP until Windows 7 comes out is the way to go.

This late into the game, I think sticking with XP until Windows 7 comes out is the way to go.

I wouldn't pay for Windows Vista considering that Windows 7 is on its way really soon.

Anyways, if you want a good RTS try Dawn of War II. A lot of good FPSes have already been cited.

Sweet Action, sounds like XP is the way to go until windows 7 comes out.

As for the games, looks like I've got a good source to go to and gather from.

I'm thinking I'll pick up Stalker(SoC and CS), UT3, and Dawn of War 2 right off the bat, just to jump back in. That way I've got these, and the HL2 and Counter Strike: Source disks (should have those them back home somewhere), to get myself kicked off again; then check out the other stuff here and hopefully move as I go. Might cost a bit to catch up and move forward at the same time, but I think it'll be worth it. I really do miss the accuracy that a mouse can bring; it's kind of ridiculous :p

Thanks again for all the help :D

Point Click. Point Click. Point Click.

Try Colin Mcrae DiRT, Devil May Cry 4, Silent Hill, World of Goo, HAWX

It all depends on what you like to play. If you like FPS, then I understand you'll have a hard time deciding since they're all similar. :cool:

Don't pick any of the games this person has listed.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl (fps)
STALKER Clear Sky (fps)
World in conflict (rts)
Left 4 Dead (fps)
GRID (racing)
Bioshock (fps/rpg)
Fallout 3 (fps/rpg)
Mass Effect (rpg)
Call of Duty 4 (fps)
The Witcher (rpg)
Titan Quest (action rpg)
Titan Quest Immortal Throne (action rpg)

Look into those games.

Sweet Action, sounds like XP is the way to go until windows 7 comes out.

As for the games, looks like I've got a good source to go to and gather from.

I'm thinking I'll pick up Stalker(SoC and CS), UT3, and Dawn of War 2 right off the bat, just to jump back in. That way I've got these, and the HL2 and Counter Strike: Source disks (should have those them back home somewhere), to get myself kicked off again; then check out the other stuff here and hopefully move as I go. Might cost a bit to catch up and move forward at the same time, but I think it'll be worth it. I really do miss the accuracy that a mouse can bring; it's kind of ridiculous :p

Thanks again for all the help :D

if you can, perhaps you could try to obtain the win7 beta. I've been running build 7000 for two months or so now, and i havent had ANY problems with it what so ever

as for games, i personally like red alert 3, but ive been out of the pc gaming loop since BF2... just getting back in right now just like you :)

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl (fps)
STALKER Clear Sky (fps)
World in conflict (rts)
Left 4 Dead (fps)
GRID (racing)
Bioshock (fps/rpg)
Fallout 3 (fps/rpg)
Mass Effect (rpg)
Call of Duty 4 (fps)
The Witcher (rpg)
Titan Quest (action rpg)
Titan Quest Immortal Throne (action rpg)

Look into those games.

This is an excellent list. I'd add Dead Space to it.

The chronicles of riddick, Dark athena (comes out soon for PC), Even if Dark Athena isn't great it will still include Escape from Buther Bay with updated graphics, that should be worth it alone.

Sin Episode 1
Painkiller/Serious Sam for mindless FPS action.
Prey (if you don't get motion sickness this is a great game)

Burnout Paradise is very fun racing game.

I'd say wait on Half-Life till Episode 3 comes out and then play all 5 of them in a row (HL, HL2, HL2:E1, HL2:E2, HL2:E3). Although great to play, I can't even remember much of the storyline from each.

Back