Just for gaming upgrade i5 or i7?

cobaltdog

Limp Gawd
ok its upgrade time for me in the next couple weeks and im upgrading from a phenom II x4 955 BE. (in the sig) i'm gonna try the intel side this time and boom haswell is announced so im wondering since im building strictly for gaming should i go for the i5 4670k or a i7 4770k. so far the only game that actually slows down on my current system is guildwars 2. i run all my games at 1080p and high settings for everything else except Ambient Occlusion. so im hoping to see a big jump in frame rates. just wondering if the i7 is gonna be worth the extra $100.00 for a strictly gaming rig.

Depends on what video cards you plan on using. I'd say the i5 is better value, but the i7 WILL be faster. Will it be $100 dollars faster? That depends in the rest of the system. If you were spending $2000 on a system, than the extra $100 represents about 5% of the total system cost. 5% boost in performance (in games) for 5% extra? Good deal.

Basically i will be just upgrading the mobo and cpu. I currently have a 7870 that i picked up last october and 8 gigs of Kingston blue 1600. I might be upgrading the power supply too though.

Go with the i5. You're better off spending that $100 on a better power supply.

The general consensus is that there is no noticeable advantage to the I7 over the I5 for gaming, with the exception of a handful of games. Even on those games the difference is small. Save the money, go I5, and if two years from now the situation changes you can always sell the I5 and pop an I7 into your system.

The general consensus is that there is no noticeable advantage to the I7 over the I5 for gaming, with the exception of a handful of games. Even on those games the difference is small. Save the money, go I5, and if two years from now the situation changes you can always sell the I5 and pop an I7 into your system.

Do what that man says.

Go with the i5-4670K for now. You should see a hell of a jump in framerates with a lot of games, all else in your system being the same.

Cinebench (amongst other benchmarks) shows the 4670K being about twice as fast.

Microcenter has the 4770k for 279.
You can get that and an awesome motherboard/new memory for less than 500.

I love Microcenter.

I know for a fact BF3 takes big advantage of HyperThreading. I saw for myself the difference between HT on/off using my 920. Perhaps the gap is different on newer CPU's, but I would without any doubt go for the i7. Especially if you plan on keeping your CPU for a long time.

Microcenter has the 4770k for 279.
You can get that and an awesome motherboard/new memory for less than 500.

I love Microcenter.

In Microcenter we trust :D.

If all you plan on doing is gaming, the i5 4670k should be your clear choice. You can then use the extra $100 you saved on other things.

Back