Just Finished HL2, have some questions, ***SPOILERS***

JethroXP

[H]ard|Gawd
I just finished HL2. I know, a lot of you already have, but I just got it for Christmas. Anyway, I've got some questions.

Caution ***SPOILERS***

Are some of the Zen aliens from the first game now our allies? How did that happen?

Who are the Combine? Did they come from Zen?

Are the headcrabs Zen or Combine, because they seem to attack everyone?

In the first game, I got the impression that Zen was another dimension, but Dr. Breen talks of traveling to another Universe. WTH?

Did they ever really explain what the Citadel is? It felt a bit like a Matrix-esque sort of human processing plant, but it was never really clear what the humans were being processed into, or for what purpose.

What is happening on the rest of Earth?

The G-Man definitely made a number of appearances, I saw him all throughout the game. And did anyone else notice that they made him talk like Agent Smith from the Matrix? However it appears from his final speech that he is just a "broker" of services. Not really the guy in charge, just the guy who makes things happen. Clearly he can't be human. Any speculation on who the G-Man is, or who he is working for?

I'm sure this has all been discussed somewhere, so I'd even appreciate a link or two to some good threads if anyone can recommend them.

Thanks.

The Xen were a conquered race. Like Earth, their planet was maliciously taken over by the Combine. The Combine enslaved the Vortigants of Xen and made them do their dirty work. The Vortigants become allies of Earth when Gordon Freeman frees Xen of it's overlord, Nihiliath. These newly freed aliens ally with the humans to help fight against the Combine.

The Combine come from their own planet in their own part of space. Apparently the Combine have some sort of planatary transport; meaning that they can teleport their armies across galaxies in an instant with this technology.

The headcrabs could be from Xen, but I'm not really sure where they are originally from. They could have been from Xen, or another Combine-conquired world.

The Citadel is a prison of sorts. It's also possible that it could be a place where they combine humans with Combine technology; as part of their army or as part of their workforce. They're not used as the same way as they are in the Matrix, the Combine aren't fully machines.

The Citadel gets destroyed in City 17, but not much is known about the rest of the world. Considering that the Citadel was the main operation point of Combine control, I'm assuming that after the fall of the Citadel that the rest of the world took arms and rebeled against their benefactors.

The G-Man has been talking like that ever since the first Half-Life game. Agent Smith's and G-Man's speech are quite different. Agent Smith's speech is more smooth and more deliberate, while the G-Man's way of speaking seems strained and forced. Obviously G-Man isn't of this world. It's never really explained who G-Man is working for, and may not be answered until the third Half-Life game.

There's a timeline out there, which can be viewed here:
http://fragfiles.org/~hlstory//

Thanks for the interesting story link. I now understand the bigger picture better :)

Xilikon said:
Thanks for the interesting story link. I now understand the bigger picture better :)

The prima guide (I also got the game for christmas) said th head craps came from the first black mesa Incident.

Maybe I should play Half Life Source first.

The head crabs are just really dumb animals from Xen. That's why they attack everything. ;)

S1nF1xx said:
The head crabs are just really dumb animals from Xen. That's why they attack everything. ;)

They sure are sophistocated for being "dumb animals" :D

Wolf-R1 said:
They sure are sophistocated for being "dumb animals" :D
Dumb as in they don't show signs of high level thinking. Smartass. ;)

where'd those black ones come from? ...headcrabs get mutated on purpose or they just a different "strain" of headcrab ..? ..how come we didnt see them in HL1? ...where they in OP at all ?(I havnt played that one yet) ..what are Dr. Breen's thoughts on these evil menacing headcrabs? ... is Dr. Klein married? ...whats Judy's middle name? ... and I thought Alyx was a guys name ..... :confused:

.... you think that maybe the headcrabs came from an infected human (with crabs) going thru a portal and thusly mutating these infectious creatures into ..well ..something all together different ... :(??

Just wanted to say Thanks to INeedAName, that was an excellent link, exactly what I was looking for.

That's what I love about these forums, so many knowledgable people who are willing to share what they know, without feeling the need to put people down for asking their questions, as is common on other forums.

JethroXP said:
Are the headcrabs Zen or Combine, because they seem to attack everyone?

Headcrabs are like wild animals- they don't seem to have concious thought or allegiance.

DESIGNER 1: These plain headcrabs are kinda boring. What can I do to them?

D2: Dunno. Throw another color on it or something.

D1: Yeah, that sounds cool. I'll give it a new attack mode too.

D2: Works for me.

JethroXP said:
Just wanted to say Thanks to INeedAName, that was an excellent link, exactly what I was looking for.

That's what I love about these forums, so many knowledgable people who are willing to share what they know, without feeling the need to put people down for asking their questions, as is common on other forums.

The scary thing is, I was writing all of that down from memory. I need to take a break from that game, methinks.

Back