Just finish my IT closet project

martinje

[H]ard|Gawd
OK I wanted to move my DSL, Ooma, wireles router, media server, 8 port giga switch and all the connections into a towel closet in the 2nd floor. Now I had to move DSL phone lines and also move my current connections from the office to the towel closer. Well I also added another jack in the 2nd floor family room. We cant forget there is no power in a closet usually so I had to run a new power line and setup an outlet. Finally this is how it all turn out.

It sure its, what better place to put it. The top shelve was always empty because it was to tall for the wife to pack anything up there. She was always nagging me about the office being cluttered with cables and having an Ooma system did not help, so I finally did it. I bought this house 3 years ago, and this was suppose to be done in the first year I moved in. I finally did it. LoL the wife is happy and thats all that matters, hehe

Yikes Sorry I did not reply, hmm actually its better then before from the office. Maybe because its centrally located in the house. My house is 3000 sqft and no matter where I go, I dont see anything less then a 85% signal quality.

That's pretty cool, but what do you have as far as air circulation? I'm sure it must get hot. At least the towels will be nice and warm now LOL.

Wow very nice. PLus your wife must love it since it keeps the towels nice and toasty!

That's pretty cool, but what do you have as far as air circulation? I'm sure it must get hot. At least the towels will be nice and warm now LOL.

It gets semi warm but not hot at all. It's just a NAs unit with build in FTP/DLNA server. A router / my omma / DSL modem / and a UPS incase of a power outage I still have phone through out the house. The UPS only powers the modem, the Ooma and router.

The wife is very happy with this setup because the office is much cleaner now. It's actually very neat when guest come over and open the closet they are like Wow whats all of this at the top.

I could not be happier how it all turn out.

that should keep the wife happy, but for future projects, try getting a roll of Velcro. When (not if) the wife changes her mind, its easy to change..

I am fighting the same battle.... i found boxes from Victoria secret stashed in my server room... wonder if my wife is trying to tell me something??? :D

that should keep the wife happy, but for future projects, try getting a roll of Velcro. When (not if) the wife changes her mind, its easy to change..

I am fighting the same battle.... i found boxes from Victoria secret stashed in my server room... wonder if my wife is trying to tell me something??? :D

Bro, get in there. We'll cheer for you!

The project is still holding strong. I made some minor modifications such as running more cat 5e cable into the closet now. I added 2 internet TV to the house and ran from my 8 port switch to the 2 bedrooms. I cant believe this but my 8 port switch is max out all ready. I will need to buy a 16 port switch because I still need to run 2 more connections once I add another internet TV to the master bedroom. I still remember telling.

SysOps you should do it, makes more room at the house and keep the wife happy.

I really need instruction on how to run a power connection. :/

Looks awesome though! Makes me want to post my set up :)

I really need instruction on how to run a power connection. :/

Looks awesome though! Makes me want to post my set up :)

Power is easy, in my case I have a power plug in my attic. I turn off the breaker that feed that power outlet. IF you don't know what breaker feeds an outlet, plug something on it and leave it on. Start turning off breakers until that item turn off. Once you turn off the correct breaker then the item will turn off. From there open the box holding the power plug and you will see that you can tap into the side of it to put a circuit in series. Run that power cable to the new hole that you will become the power outlet.

I hope that gives you a better picture.

Ciggwin, Vizio has some tv with build in apps. In my case, they have a pandora app, netflix app, weather and they see my DLNA server with my movies. That gives my daughters everything they will want to see. I dont have to pay Direct TV another 20 bucks a month for 2 more digital boxes.

Last edited:
It gets semi warm but not hot at all. It's just a NAs unit with build in FTP/DLNA server. A router / my omma / DSL modem / and a UPS incase of a power outage I still have phone through out the house. The UPS only powers the modem, the Ooma and router.

The wife is very happy with this setup because the office is much cleaner now. It's actually very neat when guest come over and open the closet they are like Wow whats all of this at the top.

I could not be happier how it all turn out.

If it were me, since all the things in that closet are low power consumable things, i would plug it all into the ups. Products last longer when plugged into something that cleans the ac power..

Back