Just fell deep into persona 4...

arr4ws

Supreme [H]ardness
I decided to remove the dust from my vita 2 weeks ago to play a game i bought with it , persona 4 golden.

Im totally hooked on this game! Should i try persona 3 after finishing it? Persona Q?

more persona is a good thing.

The Persona games were definitely the highlight of the final years of the PS2. Gameplay-wise, Persona 4 is less of a grind compared to Persona 3, but I liked P3's story much better. You owe it to yourself to play both, in preparation for Persona 5.

If you enjoy handheld gaming, you can try picking up a 3DS for cheap and grabbing Devil Survivor Overclocked, and Devil Survivor Record Breaker (2 separate games). You can also grab Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey (DS version, but DS carts do work in the 3DS).

Hey, also don't forget the FInal Fantasy X/X2 Remaster for Vita!!

i couldnt get into this game, i tried, multiple times, but the several hour long into is overkill/stupid/pointless

i couldnt get into this game, i tried, multiple times, but the several hour long into is overkill/stupid/pointless

I am 4 hours into it, and I am having difficulty with it myself. I have never played a JRPG or anything before this, and i've always hated Anime... so going from playing mostly action-oriented games to this is a shock to say the least. There is hardly any gameplay; just mountains of text and stuff. Very very strange and weird and strange story along with the whole bear and TV world... I tried explaining this game to a buddy of mine and he told me I sounded high. And even now I don't quite know how to describe it. I don't understand how this game has received the praise that it has. I bought it b/c the reviews from mainstream review websites as well as the user reviews on Metacritic are insanely high... and, I wanted to try something completely different to expand my horizons. I have almost no idea what the fuck i'm doing in the game most of the time. It's cute enough to keep my coming back, but it's fucking weird.

I am 4 hours into it, and I am having difficulty with it myself. I have never played a JRPG or anything before this, and i've always hated Anime... so going from playing mostly action-oriented games to this is a shock to say the least. There is hardly any gameplay; just mountains of text and stuff. Very very strange and weird and strange story along with the whole bear and TV world... I tried explaining this game to a buddy of mine and he told me I sounded high. And even now I don't quite know how to describe it. I don't understand how this game has received the praise that it has. I bought it b/c the reviews from mainstream review websites as well as the user reviews on Metacritic are insanely high... and, I wanted to try something completely different to expand my horizons. I have almost no idea what the fuck i'm doing in the game most of the time. It's cute enough to keep my coming back, but it's fucking weird.

I don't want to say that JRPGs are an acquired taste, but that's really the best way to describe them. They're characterized by their storytelling (which occasionally leans towards the bizarre) and character development. The Persona games excel in both departments, but as with most JRPGs, it takes a while to get going.

Can anyone just pick up the game and immediately find themselves enjoying it? Probably not; JRPG fans like to think that everyone has at one point watched (and enjoyed) anime or played a Final Fantasy game, but that just isn't the case. However, I do suggest that you keep on with it, I think you'll find that there's more to it than just the first few hours.

I don't want to say that JRPGs are an acquired taste, but that's really the best way to describe them. They're characterized by their storytelling (which occasionally leans towards the bizarre) and character development. The Persona games excel in both departments, but as with most JRPGs, it takes a while to get going.

Can anyone just pick up the game and immediately find themselves enjoying it? Probably not; JRPG fans like to think that everyone has at one point watched (and enjoyed) anime or played a Final Fantasy game, but that just isn't the case. However, I do suggest that you keep on with it, I think you'll find that there's more to it than just the first few hours.

Final fantasy games done take 4+ hours to get you into combat

Final fantasy games done take 4+ hours to get you into combat

These games in particular start really slow; maybe it's just me, but I didn't have a problem with that. FFXII had combat within minutes, but it took nearly 20 hours for me to figure out WTF was going on with the story.

These games in particular start really slow; maybe it's just me, but I didn't have a problem with that. FFXII had combat within minutes, but it took nearly 20 hours for me to figure out WTF was going on with the story.

Hey, maybe you can help me out. Like I mentioned in a earlier reply I am not a jrpg player at all and i've never played a Final Fantasy game before except once but I can't remember which. Anyway, I have been playing Persona 4 on my Vita like the OP, and I also just got Final Fantasy HD Remaster for the Vita in the mail. I started it yesterday and unlike Persona (which I understand what's going on to a certain degree and could figure out the first 30 minutes), but with Final Fantasy X I have no idea wtf is going on. There is absolutely no context whatsoever on who I am, what i'm doing, and why i'm doing it. I am only 30 minutes into the beginning of the game but still... all these fancy incredible looking CGI cutscenes, and the occasional control i'm given here-and-there... but I still have no context on wtf is going on and/or why i'm doing it.

Here is what I know so far;

I am a apparently famous dude who is playing soccer in a huge water bubble in the middle of a stadium, and then this weird half-covered face guy warns me of a huge water bubble that heads towards the city i am in. I follow him while we fight a handful of easy enemies (for the most-part), and then, the sky opens up and sucks everything and everyone up into it. I awake in a ruin of some kind and I am taken by some masked people...

And, I am sitting there playing the game like wtf am i doing? Not to mention that it's just like Persona 4 where you have all these acronyms, and things on the side that I don't know what they do.... the whole god damn thing is just a confusing mess and assumes I just know what the fuck I am supposed to be doing. I just don't understand why there are no guides on how to play this shit while playing? Like there is no tutorial (other than showing me I can use potions and super attacks) or information on what the on-screen stuff is.

Anyway, if anyone has some useful links or info that can help me

Hey, maybe you can help me out. Like I mentioned in a earlier reply I am not a jrpg player at all and i've never played a Final Fantasy game before except once but I can't remember which. Anyway, I have been playing Persona 4 on my Vita like the OP, and I also just got Final Fantasy HD Remaster for the Vita in the mail. I started it yesterday and unlike Persona (which I understand what's going on to a certain degree and could figure out the first 30 minutes), but with Final Fantasy X I have no idea wtf is going on. There is absolutely no context whatsoever on who I am, what i'm doing, and why i'm doing it. I am only 30 minutes into the beginning of the game but still... all these fancy incredible looking CGI cutscenes, and the occasional control i'm given here-and-there... but I still have no context on wtf is going on and/or why i'm doing it.

Here is what I know so far;

I am a apparently famous dude who is playing soccer in a huge water bubble in the middle of a stadium, and then this weird half-covered face guy warns me of a huge water bubble that heads towards the city i am in. I follow him while we fight a handful of easy enemies (for the most-part), and then, the sky opens up and sucks everything and everyone up into it. I awake in a ruin of some kind and I am taken by some masked people...

And, I am sitting there playing the game like wtf am i doing? Not to mention that it's just like Persona 4 where you have all these acronyms, and things on the side that I don't know what they do.... the whole god damn thing is just a confusing mess and assumes I just know what the fuck I am supposed to be doing. I just don't understand why there are no guides on how to play this shit while playing? Like there is no tutorial (other than showing me I can use potions and super attacks) or information on what the on-screen stuff is.

Anyway, if anyone has some useful links or info that can help me

Don't feel bad, I've always maintained that Final Fantasy X has a terrible story and really wasn't that much fun.

But anyway, you got the gist of the beginning; your character is a blitzball player (I thought it was a dumb sport) just minding his own business when this strange blob called "Sin" attacks and basically destroys your entire world. For some strange reason, you and your mysterious buddy are spared and are transported to a strange new world. I don't want to spoil anything that comes after, but basically, you're in another world, meet some new people, tell them you want to go back to your old world and they're like, hey let's travel together and maybe we'll find something. Naturally, there are attractive women in the group so you're like, let's do this thing.

If you think you're confused now, wait until you try to level up using the "Sphere Grid" system. I suggest you go to GameFAQs - Video Game Cheats, Reviews, FAQs, Message Boards, and More; the folks there write up meticulous guides on nearly every game and the JRPG sections always have the largest collections of guides.

I say finish P4, then absolutely yes play P3 Portable. They are very similar games....you'll miss some of the new features in P4, but it's not too bad. After you finish that, then play Persona Q, since you'll be familiar with all of the P3 and P4 cast.

P3's ending blows P4 out of the water. I like the mystery feeling of 4 but P3 is just awesome.

You guys didn't like FF X?

I thought it had the best leveling system since the materia system. It was fun, but fairly linear and predictable for every character except Kimarhi.

I liked the story.

Never played X2 though.

arr4ws,

Shin Megami Tensai series on the 3ds would be good to get into

Also, Persona Q isn't bad at all either! :D

Yar, Persona 4 was a good'er (especially that music) and was also my first experience with the series. That game reintroduced me to JRPGs (the last one I played had been Dragon Quest 7 or 8, iirc), and I'm currently playing through Bravely Default (which is another good one).

Have played PS4Golden and while it is a great game I find the game just a giant sink hole. A fun one, but man, I cannot follow every aspect of the game.

I got PS4 Ultimax on PS3 this weekend and started that up and whamo! I am so confused I cannot follow the story whatsoever. I am not sure I have to though. :)

Have played PS4Golden and while it is a great game I find the game just a giant sink hole. A fun one, but man, I cannot follow every aspect of the game.

I got PS4 Ultimax on PS3 this weekend and started that up and whamo! I am so confused I cannot follow the story whatsoever. I am not sure I have to though. :)

I am in the same position. My head just wants to explode with all the bullshit that they want me to keep track of, personas, fusion, weather forecasts, and the grinding that I just discovered in the dungeon is a little annoying. Especially when I am constantly getting stopped by shadows and engaging these one-off enemies. It's frustrating and at times very annoying especially when the bear and girl start talking. It's like culture shock since I hate anime and don't much care for Japanese stuff. I have no idea what I am doing most of the time when it comes to battles. I am just used to button mashing, so I keep attacking in the hopes I will win.

I am in the same position. My head just wants to explode with all the bullshit that they want me to keep track of, personas, fusion, weather forecasts, and the grinding that I just discovered in the dungeon is a little annoying. Especially when I am constantly getting stopped by shadows and engaging these one-off enemies. It's frustrating and at times very annoying especially when the bear and girl start talking. It's like culture shock since I hate anime and don't much care for Japanese stuff. I have no idea what I am doing most of the time when it comes to battles. I am just used to button mashing, so I keep attacking in the hopes I will win.

I do like the game, and I don't mind Anime, although I am not "into" anime. I just blow through all that talking and talking and I am like, holy cow, I can't keep up!

I do like the game, and I don't mind Anime, although I am not "into" anime. I just blow through all that talking and talking and I am like, holy cow, I can't keep up!

I'm curious; if you guys just blow through the story and dialogue, what are you hoping to get out of the game?

I'm curious; if you guys just blow through the story and dialogue, what are you hoping to get out of the game?

When I said "blow" through the text I am still reading it, trying to understand it, just RAPIDLY. Maybe that is my problem.

Like the Pandas say in WOW, "Slow down!"

Well I am forgetting Ultimax for now and going back to PS4Golden. I am finding that after taking a break from it I am appreciating it much more.
I am playing it from my PS Vita TV thingy so that makes it so much nicer and it looks great on 720 Plasma.

Yeah, great game.

the free persona on the PS+ this month has HUGE spoiler for Persona 3 and 4 .

Played the game and liked it quite a bit until the section with the lab; the gameplay was way too repetitive, but strangely the dating sim portion was the best part. Normally can't stand weaboo stuff.

Played the game and liked it quite a bit until the section with the lab; the gameplay was way too repetitive, but strangely the dating sim portion was the best part. Normally can't stand weaboo stuff.
im in the lab right now and seems like any other dungeons

~ "L"

im in the lab right now and seems like any other dungeons

That's kinda' the problem. Go into a dungeon, fight a mini-boss, go to the final floor, obligatory, "You're not the real me!" scene where the boss arrives, get beaten half-a-million times because the random encounters are easy but the bosses are just level-checks. Eventually win after spending an hour whittling the boss down. Got boring real fast. Doesn't help the the random dungeons all shared the same generation algorithms, so you're just playing through the same dungeon over and over with slightly different room placement and textures.

Last edited:
There is a good deal for persona Q on the 3ds. Might buy it for when im done with p4

Just picked up Persona 4 last night and am about 2 hours in, it is really immersive. BTW, I also own Devil Survivor Overclocked on 3DS and it is a lot of fun once you get past those tough battles in the beginning.

I really want to pick up Shin Megami Tensei IV next.

I've been pondering about buying P4G & Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed. I've also been mulling over a bunch of other games on PSN.

What JRPGs can people recommend for Vita? Should I still aim for the ones I've listed or go with another mix? I have a limit of $50 to spend at the moment.

Never played the game, but I got about 4 or 5 songs from the Animation in one of my frequented playlists.

Back