just curious about the internet grid?

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
So if you wanted to make you own electricity you could put up wind power or solar power.

You could drill a well to get your own water.

Plant yer own food, or farm for your self to eat.

Could watch off the air TV or get free satellite for TV.

Free radio for music.

If so inclined.

What if you wanted to get on the web without going through an internet service provider? Without stealing of course.

I'm just curious on how this really works.

Simply put, there is no possible way. You must have a link to part of the network, which is conveniently provided to you by an internet service provider (ISP). No ISP, no internet.

They connect by larger ISPs :p

Seriously though, they do. "The Internet" is really not a thing, it is just a bunch of connections. The trick is that a few large companies control the major backbones that make up most of the connections. There also are regulatory agencies like ICANN that help with addressing and such.

Sprint is one example of this, and you can even see maps of their major backbones here:
https://www.sprint.net/network_maps.php

Level3 is another example:
http://www.level3.com/

AT&T, Qwest, MCI/WorldCom, and others also play roles as major carriers.

These major backbones will then connect into smaller connections that go out to COs and finally out to customers.

Simply put. Just a bunch of ISP

Customer end(you and i) only see the level 1 ISP. They connect to level 2 ISP. The backbone companies which are level3 ISP

When you're paying an electric bill, or a water or gas bill, you're paying for some actual product sold, whether it's natural gas piped in or electrical energy. When you pay your ISP, you're just paying for access to a network. There's no central facility that houses all of the content on the internet, for instance, a company like Google is connected by several large ISPs. The entire content of the Internet is spread over many ISPs, therefore, for complete access, everyone has to connect to each other. For instance, if you could only connect to sites hosted on Verizon's network, then most of the internet wouldn't be accessible. If you didn't like your ISP and decided you wanted to do it yourself, you could grab some IP addresses and an autonomous system number, however, you'd still have to connect to others to get the 'big picture' of the internet.

When you're paying an electric bill, or a water or gas bill, you're paying for some actual product sold, whether it's natural gas piped in or electrical energy. When you pay your ISP, you're just paying for access to a network. There's no central facility that houses all of the content on the internet, for instance, a company like Google is connected by several large ISPs. The entire content of the Internet is spread over many ISPs, therefore, for complete access, everyone has to connect to each other. For instance, if you could only connect to sites hosted on Verizon's network, then most of the internet wouldn't be accessible. If you didn't like your ISP and decided you wanted to do it yourself, you could grab some IP addresses and an autonomous system number, however, you'd still have to connect to others to get the 'big picture' of the internet.

makes sense (of course). was just wondering what options are out there.

Just to play devil's advocate....
You could setup your own internet. Find people and companies willing to lay the cable needed and the networks to connect on them.

You could setup your own internet. Find people and companies willing to lay the cable needed and the networks to connect on them.

I was just about to post this. Theoretically, you could start up your own "Internet" by making up your own standards and protocols, though it would take an ASTRONOMICAL amount of effort in order to achieve something that is remotely comparable to the Internet we're familiar with. Although it did start out with ARPANET, and there were fewer computers connected than your typical modern-day home network (well, initially).

There's plenty of dark fiber out there. :)

there's many "parallel / private internets" out there - that are not accessible by the public internet we are on at this moment.

ANX, for example...

Somehow, with all the route-miles of dark fiber, there's never any close by.

there's many "parallel / private internets" out there - that are not accessible by the public internet we are on at this moment.

ANX, for example...

Just for instance, every person out there who has a full T1...that's a private circuit.

They pay extra to have that circuit connected to the internet. But I can get a T1 at two offices and tell the phone company to connect my offices together. It's like a really expensive piece of patch cable attaching two offices. Totally private.

Just for instance, every person out there who has a full T1...that's a private circuit.

They pay extra to have that circuit connected to the internet. But I can get a T1 at two offices and tell the phone company to connect my offices together. It's like a really expensive piece of patch cable attaching two offices. Totally private.

Totally private if you trust the phone company not to sniff/mirror/intercept you. I think if it ever came out that they did monitor a private line they would instantly loose all of their customers, but just saying they can do it.

MPLS is the next generation of setting up a virtual private line over the public internet so you end up with a private line, but the telco does not have to have a dedicated point-to-point loop for each customer.

But back to the original question - you could setup your own private web with neighbors / friends / etc. But when you actually want to get on the internet you need a Point-Of-Presence, as mentioned, someone with a connection to a carrier network that has a transit agreement that eventually gets you into a tier-1 provider and the great internet backbone. Because of the very large capital expenses for equipment cable and power to setup one of these POPs, the closest you will get to free is by using a municipal free wi-fi, or leaching off of someone else who is already paying for access.

So it is a routing protocol that replaces STP in ethernet with information gathered from IS-IS by setting up a VLAN forwarding plan populated from IS-IS instead of STP. This allows redundant links to be up but loop free, and more efficient broadcast / multicast ?

Does it still allow for tunneling an organizations internal VLANs and other non-Ethernet protocol traffic? More importantly does it have strong QoS mechanisms?

Lastly, does anyone besides the bankrupt Nortel support this technology?

So it is a routing protocol that replaces STP in ethernet with information gathered from IS-IS by setting up a VLAN forwarding plan populated from IS-IS instead of STP. This allows redundant links to be up but loop free, and more efficient broadcast / multicast ?

Does it still allow for tunneling an organizations internal VLANs and other non-Ethernet protocol traffic? More importantly does it have strong QoS mechanisms?

Lastly, does anyone besides the bankrupt Nortel support this technology?

juniper, among others.

it's not for LAN - it's for WAN.

that way, you can incorporate your wan (carrier wan) routers and use existing layer2 redundancy protocols (split multi link trunking).

and if you have 10 core wan routers - you can treat it like MAC dorwarding (encapsulation)...so instead of crazy layer 3 routing/convergence, etc etc - you have a MAC FDB and can use existing LAN-based redundancy protocols.

face it - mpls admin is a nightmare.

Actually, you don't even need that much.

Get two computers. Connect them via tcp/ip. Done! Your own private internet.

Actually, you don't even need that much.

Get two computers. Connect them via tcp/ip. Done! Your own private internet.

So what is the difference between internet and intranet given your specific example? Since I do that with my printer.

So what is the difference between internet and intranet given your specific example? Since I do that with my printer.

In the simplest of forms...Internet is public. Intranet is private.

Connecting two things in your home is not an internet, it is an intranet. But technically the two can be accomplished with the same technology, it is just a technicality of how they are used.

Back