just changed my major > Network Systems Administration

snyper238

Limp Gawd
I just switched my major. I am at a community college. Hopefully I will transfer to university of illinois but it depends on what I want my Bachelors in.

I could take the easier way and get a Business Management Degree or take the hard way and get a Bachelors in Computer Science.

Which one should it be?

I would re-think your college career if you can't answer a question like that yourself. It's bound to fail if you are unsure of what you want to do.

im in the same boat. Right now im working on my ba in internetworking technology. Im trying to transfer to drexel for my junior year but I can't decide on the degree either.

snyper238 said:
I just switched my major. I am at a community college. Hopefully I will transfer to university of illinois but it depends on what I want my Bachelors in.

I could take the easier way and get a Business Management Degree or take the hard way and get a Bachelors in Computer Science.

Which one should it be?
business management is not the "easier way"
It's a degree for a different kind of person.

It is ALOT easier to get a business degree and start a computer company, than to have a computer degree and try and start a business.

CS degrees (at least in my opinion) are for people that want to work for someone else.
Business degrees are for people that want to hire those people with the CS degrees.

cyr0n_k0r said:
CS degrees (at least in my opinion) are for people that want to work for someone else.
Business degrees are for people that want to hire those people with the CS degrees.

I hate that you summed that up so nicely. Me and my CS degree hate you (oh well, that's what grad school is for).

Malk-a-mite said:
I hate that you summed that up so nicely. Me and my CS degree hate you (oh well, that's what grad school is for).

Which leads to a CTO or CIO slot and you end up with far more cash than the small business owner ;) At least that's what I'm shooting for.

I still feel the CS degree is very valuable, an entrepeneur today has to have a lot more than a BSBA degree to succeed. As mentioned before, a CIO/CTO can make a lot of money, enough that you can do other things (real-estate, investing, etc.) while the company bears many, many responsiblities that you would have to manage yourself, not to mention taxes, insurance, law suits, etc. that you would have with your own business.

Go CS - IS Manager - CIO and you will have > 250K + benies. (Ours does.)

BobSutan said:
Which leads to a CTO or CIO slot and you end up with far more cash than the small business owner ;) At least that's what I'm shooting for.
I worked for a major private university and this statement sums up nicely how working for someone else sucks.

1) entire building loses internet and phone for 18 hours
2) CIO is blamed for the outage (not his fault, but ultimately his responsibility)
3) CEO makes CIO "PROMISE" there will be no further outages or CIO is fired
4) CIO is stupid enough to promise such a thing (out of his control)

way to have your job rely on a stupid promise like that. no thanks.

I'd rather make my own hours, dictate my own salary, and be in control of the direction of an entire company rather than pleasing greedy shareholders.

BobSutan said:

As a business major myself i can say this - CIO's arnt necesarrily CS majors. They very easyily (and more frequently now) are IDS and MIS majors. CS is a great field... but not as multifaceted as a business degree.

Soullfytribe345 said:
As a business major myself i can say this - CIO's arnt necesarrily CS majors. They very easyily (and more frequently now) are IDS and MIS majors. CS is a great field... but not as multifaceted as a business degree.

Good points all around. I still think the best way of puting it was already said: CS is those that do the IT work, and business degrees are for those that tell those with the CS what to do. Or something to that effect.

Yea like said before good points all around.

Yea to transfer to UI I will be going into the CS but the business will be at Eastern Illinois. Only reason this is because my community college has a 2+2 program with those two schools in those specific majors so every single class i have taken will for sure transfer and things go alot smoother.

I think I am leaning towards CS, although I have really wanted to start my own business for a long time.

holy **** , I can't believe majority of these ports are based around how much $$$ each degree brings in, that is really really sad.

Whatever happened to getting a degree in something you ENJOY doing , last thing on your list should be $$$

geez , 99% of people that went to school with me that were in it for the $$$ dropped out, failed, work in retail now, lol, but don't believe me , find out for yourself

Well, all I can say to that is welcome to reality. Most people go to college either without a clue as to what they want to do, or have an idea which clarifies as time goes on. For many that don't know what they want to do they go with something that sounds like it'll make a lot of money, that is until they realize it's not the career for them. For some they drop out. Others may change degrees several times, and others still may stick it out any hate their jobs. The lucky ones are those that go into it with clear goals and stick by them only making approriate changes to suite their career goals. And to be blunt, not many 18-22 year olds are that focused.

Oh, Im sorry. I had been going on the assumption that this guy WANTED either degree because that was what he was good at.

Why even go for a degree simply because you think it will make money? Doctors make a lot of money, but I dont want to be a doctor. Thats not something I enjoy. So should I still go for the degree? No.

BobSutan, I didn't mean to bash the CS degree in any way. It is still a great degree and will get you far in life. Same with the business degree.

It's just life. Some people enjoy the CS side of things more, while others enjoy the business side.

BobSutan said:
Well, all I can say to that is welcome to reality. Most people go to college either without a clue as to what they want to do, or have an idea which clarifies as time goes on..

which IMHO are the people that end up being mediocre at their jobs/lives because they are already 10 years behind others that were enthusiastic about their choice earlier than others. I think this applies especially to IT where an early head start is huge (at least from my experience). Not entirely a fault of the person, but such is life.

Yea either way I think I am gunna be pretty happy.

I am thinking the BA in Business will be what I choose because I think it could lead to more things that I enjoy.

zrac said:
Whatever happened to getting a degree in something you ENJOY doing , last thing on your list should be $$$

Student loans, car payment, morgate, vacations, family, retirement.

You better believe that how much you make better be high up on the list of reasons you look at a career. May not be the first item... but it should be up there.

so lets all go into oil industry and end up CEO's of oil refineries, oil transportation companies etc... right? come on

after all exxon had the highest profits ever so it must make good money and anyone can do it. (put aside the fact that I think the whole exxon thing is BS, they deserve every one of their pennies and then some due to their very small profit margin, but it fit my example, lol)

I have to disagree with you, it shouldn't be up there at all, so you can be one miserable surgeon that hates the sight of blood but drives a nice mercedes to work and back, lol, I realize that's not a realistic example but that's sort of what you're saying.

Pick a career, be damn good at it and money will follow on its own.

unless you're an artist :D ;)

Money won't make you happy, but lack thereof will make you miserable. As in most things, balance is the key.

zrac said:
Pick a career, be damn good at it and money will follow on its own.

unless you're an artist

Artist, social worker, teacher, major in anthro, archaeology, or any other one of a dozen other majors.

Zrac - feel free to post again once you finish high school.

EDIT:
Or what Baredor said because that was much nicer than my response.

I for one am majoring in something I am interesting in (network admin). Considering I am going to Toledo, if all I cared about was money I would go into pharmacy :)
The way I feel is, I know what I want to do and will do whatever it takes to reach my career goals.

Back