Just Cause 2 Treetop flicker

twonunpackmule

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, recently bought this on Steam during the sale. I'm sure some of you have too. Anyway, I'm curious as to the issue of treetop flickering. I can't seem to stop it. I've ran the game using stock GPU settings, disabled SLi, and toggled various in game graphic settings. It's just odd. Other than the random flickering...the game runs like a champ.

Any thoughts? Is this just typical?

It runs like crap on my eyefinity setup for some reason

Looks good, but like it says hook onto the chopper and so I shoot it and it hooks, but doesn't do the cutscene thing...I have to try 50 times before it will :/

I've played on two different GPUs (GTX 480 & 580) and I've never seen flicker. Not sure I've heard of others having it either.

I know that if you're running a GTX 460, that the drivers for the 460s haven't played nice with some recent games, or just games recently, and people changing drivers has helped.

Something about the 460s using a particular driver (I cant remember which) was causing some odd problems in various games.

Only issue I've ever experienced (and some others as well) is an odd "pulsing" in movement speed when driving, even running sometimes, as if I were having FPS drop, but am not. I only just reinstalled JC2 recently and don't remember what it ended up being (maybe the GPU water simulation) or if I ever fixed it, but it's a minor annoyance.

Otherwise, runs solid maxed-out visually, no glitches, on a GTX 580 and my system.

I'm using the latest Beta Driver from Nvidia, which I just upgraded to see if that would help. Before, I was using the latest WHQL driver from Nvidia.

I might roll back to an older one.

I'm using the latest Beta Driver from Nvidia, which I just upgraded to see if that would help. Before, I was using the latest WHQL driver from Nvidia.

I might roll back to an older one.

It could potentially help, as rolling back has seemed to help others recently with some other games.

Yeah, I just wanted to know if it was common. That way, I wouldn't go nuts trying to fix it.

I just downloaded the demo onto the 360 to see if it had the same thing in that version. It has pop-in but it's not nearly on the same level.

Again, it's only trees. Nothing else gets this flickering.

It runs like crap on my eyefinity setup for some reason

Looks good, but like it says hook onto the chopper and so I shoot it and it hooks, but doesn't do the cutscene thing...I have to try 50 times before it will :/

Are you not getting the quick time prompts? I think they fixed it with the latest patch... so uh if for whatever reason you're not up to date... get the latest patch...

If not... you have to change the FOV to get the prompts to show in triple wide.

I've played 100 hours of JC2 in eyefinity and it's grand.

Are you not getting the quick time prompts? I think they fixed it with the latest patch... so uh if for whatever reason you're not up to date... get the latest patch...

If not... you have to change the FOV to get the prompts to show in triple wide.

I've played 100 hours of JC2 in eyefinity and it's grand.

Umm what quick time prompts? Can you show me an example? Short google search failed me.

Yeah I will have to read about the FOV next time I am on the desktop then...

What about overclocks?

Did that too. I've been running through gamut. I got it to do it less, sense I've frame capped. It's not as severe, but it's still there. It's the shadows on the trees. They pop in and out. I move back and forth and it just pops in and out, it flickers.

Umm what quick time prompts? Can you show me an example? Short google search failed me.

Yeah I will have to read about the FOV next time I am on the desktop then...

When hijacking helicopters/etc. you're supposed to get a popup sequence at the bottom saying to press buttons in randomly-generated orders to punch out then shove the pilot out of the vehicle and start controlling it. If you're not seeing them, that's your problem right there :).

When hijacking helicopters/etc. you're supposed to get a popup sequence at the bottom saying to press buttons in randomly-generated orders to punch out then shove the pilot out of the vehicle and start controlling it. If you're not seeing them, that's your problem right there :).

Im not hijacking yet...Im talking about the very first mission where you hang on the helicopter and the lady drops you off on the other side of the base and such... :-/

Im not hijacking yet...Im talking about the very first mission where you hang on the helicopter and the lady drops you off on the other side of the base and such... :-/

I know exactly what you are talking about, I have played about 80 hours of it and have never had a problem with a mission like that. Did you try just starting a new singleplayer mission?

I know exactly what you are talking about, I have played about 80 hours of it and have never had a problem with a mission like that. Did you try just starting a new singleplayer mission?

Not yet...kinda pissed me off so I havent even started the game again yet :p

GTX 480 single display 1920x1200 maxed out never seen any flicker.

Never had any problems with this game in general even when it first came out. Kudos to the devs for that.

The game engine is beautiful and I'd love to see it used for other games of all kinds of genres.

Needless to say a Just Cause 3 will be a day one buy for me when it happens. I love this game.

Just Cause 2 is very driver dependent. I needed to try 5 different driver versions before I found one that worked properly.

I recently went through troubleshooting driver issues with this game. I run tri sli gtx 280s. Temps were fine, overclocking isn't an issue.

275.50 would cause artifacting after a random amount of time. Also it would cause flashing geometry and massive slow downs.

275.33 would cause random items be invisible. Lower sections of buildings, bridges, trees.

275.27 would cause the invisible items as above, but also causing slowdowns like 275.50.

267.24 did not have any of the above issues but the performance was terrible. Almost a 20% loss.

Then I tested 270.61 and was able to play for about 40 hours with no issues and great performance

Back