Just Cause 2 - Am I going to like it or hate it?

AmberClad

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought this along with a ton of other crap during the Steam sale, and haven't had the chance to really look at it closely until now. From the description, it sounds an awful lot like Far Cry 2 (which is not a good thing), with Far Cry 1's tropical setting. But it also sounds like a sandbox game like Borderlands, which would really hit the spot. So which is it more like?

Reason I ask is that I'm on a slow internet connection right now, so I don't want to waste all that time downloading the game just to find that I hate it.

It wasn't really like Far Cry 2 at all. It's more like GTA meets Bionic Commando meets CoD.

I loved it. It has a huuuuuge world to explore. The missions are pretty repetitive but its pretty exciting with all the vehicles you can get and blowing up stuff is always fun. I put about 12 hours into it before I stopped playing and still wasn't even close to 100%.

Ah what the hell, I'll give it a go. Should I jump right into the second game? Or play through the first beforehand? I read that the first game was buggy as hell and they never really patched it.

3rd person, pure chaos, lots of fun. my friends have like 50 hours on the game on my PC and never completed a single mission. massive open world that does transitions from ground, vehicle to aircraft better then any game i seen.

you have a lasso type thing you shoot from your wrist and it retracts and pulls you towards your target. climb buildings fast. catch cars. you can also use it to lasso two things together. tie a person to a car and watch them get dragged away. you can also just lasso anything and while getting pulled in pop your parachute and keep lassoing things and basically parasail fly faster then then you can drive.

the story i hope was meant to be like a 80's movie. kinda cheesy and not meant to be taken seriously.

there is also some killer mods for it. i would finish the game before you use them.

The main story and the voice acting are so poorly done you'd think that was intentional, but the game is hella fun to explore, blow things up, and toy around with the ludicrous physics system. It's like a Michael Bay movie in an open world, video game format.

It wasn't really like Far Cry 2 at all. It's more like GTA meets Bionic Commando meets CoD.

This is an extremely accurate description of the game. Regardless of your feelings on the value of the game this is what it is. Militaristic GTA with a grappling hook that you use to move around so much they might as well reskin Just Cause 2 for the next spiderman game.

Is it good? Eh. I don't know. I got about 20 minutes in and got annoyed by the controls and grappling hook stuff and haven't comeback. I'll give it another shot eventually.

I don't think I've ever had more fun just flying around in a helicopter, blowing up gas tanks and guard towers. The story is nothing special, but the game is a lot of fun. Using the lasso to hook people up to moving cars and stuff is a lot of fun also.

I played Just Cause 2 to completion, 171 hours total. I also played Far Cry 2 to completion and seem to be one of the few who liked it. JC2 and FC2 are not at all similar. JC2 is much more fun, much better than FC2. Some people were put off by the over-the-top campy bad-1980s-movie humor but I loved it.

If you don't have an XBox360 controller (or something similar) it really helps. I used it for driving cars and flying airplanes, then switched back to keyboard/mouse for running around on foot, using the grappling hook, and driving boats and helicopters.

I loved it. Didn't have any problems using KBM either but you can control it any way you want and just have a blast in a gorgeous and nicely realized game world on a game engine that really deserves more attention.

It was one of the few games in years that I didn't pick up and stopped playing after 3 days. So yea.

This game was absolutely awesome! One of my recent favorites. It takes a little while to get used to the controls but once you do you will be hooked! I could waste hours in bliss grappling around and blowing stuff up.

Then the real fun is downloading modded vehicle packs that give you super cars that accelerate so fast that you can launch yourself into the clouds after driving up a mountain (while having 10 people grappled to the back of your car with unbreakable hooks). Awesome!

I love it. I havent done much of the story, I usually just load it up to fly in an amazingly beautiful place for a few minutes, or drive a tuktuk around to enjoy the views. I love flying at night, the bokeh filter makes it look fucking amazing.

it's an awesome, great game. I have like 60 hours logged, and have finished the main story

One suggestion; download the unlimited ammo mod, seriously, having to search for ammo in that game is stupid, and ruins it.. it's supposed to be fun and action packed, it's not some deep rpg game or something, having to look for ammo in the middle of a huge firefight annoyed the shit out of me, with the mod I loved it 100x more

This game is a lot of fun. There is no end to the awesome stunts you can do. Blow up entire city; dive under water for thirty seconds; the army forgets about you; do it again.

hrm unlimited ammo. guess that will make the weapon dlc usable. maybe time to finish this....

The main story and the voice acting are so poorly done you'd think that was intentional, but the game is hella fun to explore, blow things up, and toy around with the ludicrous physics system. It's like a Michael Bay movie in an open world, video game format.

I couldn't play the story because of the voice acting was so annoying. It took two decent attempts to force myself through the tutorial missions so that I could actually do something fun in the game.

I got kind of bored with it, so I created a mod that forces civilians to stay inside their vehicle to cause so much chaos... Afterall, I had to find a way to make it worth all that suffering. :p

Last edited:
Mods I would not live without:
No camera auto centering
Bolopatch

The rest is up to you

Game was great... bit repetitive if you go for 100% complete :p ... would've liked it more if the net didn't spoil the end for me xD

Loved it. Game looks excellent, and ran very good on my system. (6850, thought I'd have needed a better vid card for it!)

Tons of fun getting in a helicopter and ruining havok on shit. Did not do much of the main story. Mainly just destroyed stuff, and tried taking over all the airports and military things.

I bought this along with a ton of other crap during the Steam sale, and haven't had the chance to really look at it closely until now. From the description, it sounds an awful lot like Far Cry 2 (which is not a good thing), with Far Cry 1's tropical setting. But it also sounds like a sandbox game like Borderlands, which would really hit the spot. So which is it more like?

Reason I ask is that I'm on a slow internet connection right now, so I don't want to waste all that time downloading the game just to find that I hate it.

Just Cause 2 and Farcry 2 are nothing similar.

So you ask, WILL YOU LIKE JUST CAUSE 2?

DO YOU LIKE BLOWING SHIT UP WITH PRETTY EXPLOSION EFFECTS?
DO YOU LIKE RIDICULOUS STUNTS AND SHIT WHILE BLOWING UP MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF SHIT?
DO YOU LIKE HORRENDOUS VOICE ACTING AND CUTSCENES THAT HAVE A GIGANTIC AMOUNT OF EXPLOSIONS?
DO YOU LIKE TO BLOW THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF EVERYTHING YOU CAN SEE IN THE GAME WORLD?
DO YOU LIKE TO SHOOT AT PRESSURIZED CANISTERS, GRAB ONTO IT AND FLY THE FUCK INTO THE SKY WHILE BLOWING SHIT UP?
DO YOU LOVE TO SEE A BUNCH OF CARS DOING HOLLYWOOD-STYLE STUNTS WHILE EXPLODING INTO A THOUSAND PIECES?

THE QUESTION ISN'T WHETHER OR NOT THE GAME IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU. THE QUESTION IS, ARE YOU FUCKING MAN ENOUGH FOR JUST CAUSE 2? WHY? BECAUSE FUCK YOU THAT'S WHY.

Yes, you'll enjoy the game.

Was the Bolopatch mod ever fixed for the JC2 1.1 patch? When I google for it, all I get is ways to dial it back to JC2 1.0.x and that doesn't seem to work for the Steam version, which I have.
You can drop a 1.0.x .exe file into your game directory over the original and it works just fine. Just Cause 2 Mods site has it listed as a mod if you search "bolopatch", at least the last time I looked.

I've put in 100 hours into the game, the most of any Steam game. Can't wait for a JC3!!!

Absolutely loved the game. I bought it on a fluke during the winter sale 2010, probably one of the most all out FUN games I've played in a while. The story sucks, and it's not a difficult game, but there's so much to do.

I also recommend playing with a controller.

Just Cause 3 will be a day one buy for me as well, the first day one buy in a LONG time, too.

Anybody know if Steam put your saves on steam cloud? Or do I need to back them up?

holy shit what kind of question is that, yes JC2 is worth playing. Once you start getting the hang of how to move around, drive, fly, and shoot you can do some insane stuff. My favorite was to tether tanks to cargo planes and fly really low through populated areas, hitting all kinds of shit with the dangling tank.

Ridiculous fun. I beat it in about 55 hours, with about half and half main story missions and side missions.

the main flaw I saw with the game is the airplane controls. I could not fly a plane for shit since the game set it up to be controlled via game pad, as such the controls are like the helicopter, ie: a 4 position tilt control. there is no rudder control so turning left or right is a complex sequence of tilting left/up/right.... So annoying that I could not complete those missions.

Well the game is now downloaded and installed. Having a blast so far with the over-the-top gameplay (action sort of reminds me of Bulletstorm without the obnoxious dudebro-ness).

I'm having an annoying issue with the game randomly crashing to the desktop with a black screen every so often though (no artifacting or overheating) :confused:. Googled about it a bit -- going to try it with motion blur disabled and see if that solves the issue.

Btw - despite the GTA comparisons, I'm having more fun with this right off the bat than I did with GTA V, with its chauffeuring missions.

Last edited:
Fun? What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOV17T0mHnU

The thing about gunfights is that it's insanely easy with a mouse. When i got the game i was taking out waves of helicopters from the ground and constantly grappling between them and the cars. And that was before i learned i could hang from the front and take out the pilots that way.

the main flaw I saw with the game is the airplane controls. I could not fly a plane for shit since the game set it up to be controlled via game pad, as such the controls are like the helicopter, ie: a 4 position tilt control. there is no rudder control so turning left or right is a complex sequence of tilting left/up/right.... So annoying that I could not complete those missions.

For the flying missions/races that require tight turns or strange maneuvers I just nab a helicopter or buy one from the black market. The game's very lax on what vehicles you're allowed to use for either one. So much easier to navigate too, at the expense of top speed.

For the flying missions/races that require tight turns or strange maneuvers I just nab a helicopter or buy one from the black market. The game's very lax on what vehicles you're allowed to use for either one. So much easier to navigate too, at the expense of top speed.

I hadn't thought of that. The airplane races were the ones i skipped.

I was surprised for myself how easily the vehicles controlled, especially coming off something like GTAIV where the flying vehicle controls can basically go suck a nut and I hope are much better by the time part 5 comes out.

With this game, I never even felt the need to reach for a controller. It was KBM the entire time and it was a blast and a breeze.

Back