Just cant get into Battlefield 2.

Hitmanthe3rd

Limp Gawd
I have played the game on several occasions. I was a console guy and had it for the xbox 360. Tryed and tryed and realized it just wasnt my game. I am a call of duty fan and enjoy it. I Got my 570's and got Bad company 2 around Christmas (Before steam deals Damnit) and Said Eff it Ill buy it and give it another try. And on several accounts I have played and played and just could NOT play for more than 30 minutes. Its Run, Die. Run for another 5 minutes. Get to the point. Die. And everytime I hop on the game its the same thing over and over. I figured because I'm good at Call of duty I'd be good at this game too. But Boy was I wrong. It's a fantastic game and I want to get into it. But I just cant. Anybody else with the same issue? Or any tips on how I can enjoy this game? Just thought I'd share my opinion and see how the rest of you feel.

Last edited:
nit picking but isn't call of duty run, die, run for even shorter amount of time, get to the point, die? In a nutshell isn't that what most fps MP all about?

nit picking but isn't call of duty run, die, run for even shorter amount of time, get to the point, die? In a nutshell isn't that what most fps MP all about?

Yes but I can get Kills in Call of duty in the time between Dying. In BFBC2 Its run for 5 minutes...Maybe get 1 kill. Die and getting kills has no Gain except...Well a kill and maybe some points that in 3 weeks of playing might buy you another gun.

I get what you're saying. There are just some games you can't seem to sink your teeth into. For me it's Far Cry 2. Call me crazy, but I just can't get into that game the way I do other FPS's. BF has some great game play, but with any FPS you will run/kill/die. And for some, after the "eye candy" factor wears off, you get bored.

I get what you're saying. There are just some games you can't seem to sink your teeth into. For me it's Far Cry 2. Call me crazy, but I just can't get into that game the way I do other FPS's. BF has some great game play, but with any FPS you will run/kill/die. And for some, after the "eye candy" factor wears off, you get bored.

I bought it because its 3D ready and Everyone seemed to love it. So i'm like. I love FPS's Ill give it a whirl! And the 3D was indeed amazing. But I just couldnt get into the game simply for the looks. I know Blops has its issues but I can play that game for hours and not get bored. 30 minutes into BFBC2 and 2 kills later you dont feel like you're gaining anything except Boredom. The maps are too big for my liking. And yes all Games are Run, Die. Its just How much running is required to finally get to the Dying end lol. And its not because im good at staying alive. Its because Finding people and then killing them or being killed is such a long boring process that it just isnt enjoyable once you get down to it. I think Its a great game dont kid me wrong. I am not saying this game is terrible. I'm just saying maybe it isnt my kind of FPS haha.

Yes but I can get Kills in Call of duty in the time between Dying. In BFBC2 Its run for 5 minutes...Maybe get 1 kill. Die and getting kills has no Gain except...Well a kill and maybe some points that in 3 weeks of playing might buy you another gun.

It could just be that you're not processing the map layout and graphics yet. At some point you learn the visual cues and where likely encounters will occur.

Another thing to consider is that BF is not a good game for a twitch style player. You need to think and stay behind cover at certain times. It's been referred to as a rock-paper-scissors style game, and that is fairly accurate IMO. Basically stay away from the elements that are designed to kill your class and/or vehicle.

COD = small maps, lone wolf style quick gameplay, dying over and over, fast, magical perks and knife kills.
BF = Large scale warfare, vehicles, teamwork ,strategy and being keen of your surroundings.

If you're having a hard time adjusting, thats normal I would say. I recommend playing BFBC2 in the meantime, its a blend of both COD and BF in a sense. Smaller in scale, say medium scale, which makes for faster gameplay but the game is still heavy on the teamwork aspect and vehicles are there. Smaller parts of maps can feel more like COD but have that BF flare that makes everything feel authentic.

I am not saying this game is terrible. I'm just saying maybe it isnt my kind of FPS haha.

I think you're right.

It's like this: I don't dig the color yellow so I don't buy yellow clothes. I do like blue, red, black, white and gray so I buy clothes with those colors.

Here's some trickery, however: I like CoD games AND I like BF:BC2. :eek:

It's just a simple preference thing. Some you like, some you don't. Move on. :)

I think you're right.

It's like this: I don't dig the color yellow so I don't buy yellow clothes. I do like blue, red, black, white and gray so I buy clothes with those colors.

Here's some trickery, however: I like CoD games AND I like BF:BC2. :eek:

It's just a simple preference thing. Some you like, some you don't. Move on. :)

I guess I will have to. I know ill buy BC3 when it comes out for the main fact "Everyone else is doing it"

Also. Nice specs. I love the monitor choice.

For one thing, BF2 is like 6 years old now. You should probably not be trying to get into games that old. And for another thing, the Battlefield games tend to appeal to those people you see on forums bantering about tactics, strategy and teamwork rather than reflexes, map knowledge, snap aim and battle sense. It's not an FPS, it's a war simulator.

For one thing, BF2 is like 6 years old now. You should probably not be trying to get into games that old. And for another thing, the Battlefield games tend to appeal to those people you see on forums bantering about tactics, strategy and teamwork rather than reflexes, map knowledge, snap aim and battle sense. It's not an FPS, it's a war simulator.

Haha. Know whats sad? I actually ment BF BC2. I am jjust used to calling it BF2. Damnit. Mah bad.

I had a friend who was the same way. He went from Call of Quake-With-Kits to playing Battlefield and he couldn't kill anything. He'd die out in the middle of the street and go "hey can you revive me", and we'd go "no dude, you're in the middle of the street in an open area. Trying to revive you just gets us both killed. Spawn on me in ten seconds".

After a while he got it, and really became a good BC2 player, but that first mental hurdle he had to get past (teamwork, strategy, awareness of your surroundings) took a while.

I get what you're saying. There are just some games you can't seem to sink your teeth into. For me it's Far Cry 2. Call me crazy, but I just can't get into that game the way I do other FPS's.

Perfectly understandable since that's an absolutely terrible game past the pretty eye candy.

I had a friend who was the same way. He went from Call of Quake-With-Kits to playing Battlefield and he couldn't kill anything. He'd die out in the middle of the street and go "hey can you revive me", and we'd go "no dude, you're in the middle of the street in an open area. Trying to revive you just gets us both killed. Spawn on me in ten seconds".

After a while he got it, and really became a good BC2 player, but that first mental hurdle he had to get past (teamwork, strategy, awareness of your surroundings) took a while.

I guess I also dont have any people to really play with. And I have Blops friends. Probably another big part of it. But I plan on playing BC2 till I can say I enjoy it. Because I like the teamwork and Vehicles. Just dont like the fact I suck haha.

Are you guys talking about Battlefield 2 or Bad Company 2???

You're playing similay FPS MP games, but they are very different.

I haven't played CoD since number 2, and I never could even get into MP FPS because I die so much. You need to not focus on being Rambo, you actually need to play with the other people and squad mates. I recently picked Bad Company 2 back up and finally got it drilled into my head that I can't run away from cover and constantly get double kills or multi kills.

Find where the action is, get cover. Stay close to your medics and if you're assault, drop ammo kits. You gain more points for being a squad mate than you do for being a killing machine.

EDIT: When you're shooting targets, don't shoot where they are, shoot where they are going to be. Screw headshots, aim for body mass and fire in 3-4 round bursts. You need to lead your targets and shoot where "they're going to be, not where they are."

Once you get this down, you will start getting kills, mixing in with destructive environments and some insane sound effects, you are going to have a great time.

If you think BC2 involves too much running, you'd really hate BF2, and I'm guessing BF3 will be even worse for you. I've never played CoD but from what I can tell, the games require two completely different mindsets to play. CoD involves a lot less active thinking. Battlefield games typically require more planning and thought. Squads also help A LOT, especially in reducing running. If there's one thing that I really dislike about BC2, it's that there are just too many hiding places, especially for hardcore mode which is what I prefer playing. I'm thinking it wouldn't be so bad if I had a machine that could run any AA as jagged lines make it harder to pick people out in the distance.

Anyways, for specific tips, I would say that the biggest one is to try and always stay moving. I don't know if this is true for everyone but no matter how hard I try and find a safe spot in this game, I'll almost always be sniped/blown up/snuck up on within 10 seconds. I typically do best running from cover to cover in a slightly indirect route between objectives. I think I would recommend going for the body over headshots in normal mode, but headshots are still a good way to go in hardcore at anything but long range. When I'm getting frustrated, I sometimes like to go medic, equip the pump shotgun with upgrades and go slightly rambo style. It works on most maps with lots of cover like oasis, panama canal or arica harbor (all conquest), though I guess you may not even have the pump shotty unlocked, let alone the upgrades.

Anyways, good luck getting into it. I'd say the average BF2 fan appreciates BF2 more than CoD fans appreciate CoD, so I think if you can figure it out, it will definitely be worth it for BF3.

BC2 is easy to stay in the "shit" so-to-speak. Join a squad and spawn on your squadmates, works great on all game modes. Or better yet play conquest and either spawn on your mates or a flag and defend/attack other flags. To spawn on mates just click on their green arrow indicator on the left-hand map. Basically get a feel for the weapons and what each class does. I recommend staying away from the recon class until you feel comfortable with the others, preferably assault and medic so you can revive fallen mates and provide ammo and health to those in need.

Yeah, pretty sure this is not your cup of tea if you're a big COD player. BC2 is oriented toward bigger maps and squad based combat/objectives. Each class fits into a squad and play different roles. Join a squad and spawn on a squadmate closer to the action if you're far away from the action. Joining a squad of Snipers is not going to get you closer, or help with capturing objectives. Pick a role and support the team. Going lonewolf just makes you easy pickings for opposing teams that run in squads of 3-5.

I guess Im one of the lucky ones that enjoy both CoD and BF :D

Listen to gentoo's advice, it's spot on. Also, if you're able join a squad with good players, watch what they do to pick up tips and to learn the maps. The kills will come as you get used to the weapons and map layouts.

COD is more like unreal tournament or Quake and Battlefield is more like Counter-Strike or Rainbow Six so you should be able to figure out which type of game you like more based on which old games you liked.

BF is more about strategy and positioning and COD is more about running fast and aiming fast.

I hate COD (any of them)

I find that I die so fucking fast, even when I get kills and have a + k/d ratio I still die fast.

Its not unusual for me to go 3:1 or 4:1 playing BC2.

In fact just yesterday I played a whole round of rush at the end my K/D was 28:2

I have also been on shitty teams where we just get owned and I end up 1:1 or worse .5:1, but that is rare and it usually requires a team that is half snipers or something stupid like that.

Edit: Haven't played BF2 in a while (just seems to dated for me now) but when I did used to play it back in the day I really enjoyed it.

As others have said if you play a Battlefield game with a Call of Duty style, you will die, you will suck, you wont unlock guns/perks, which leads to more dying, which leads to frustration, which leads to quitting..... the end.

You can't run and gun in BC2.
Do you like Hardcore mode? I play that mode in both BC2 and Black Ops, makes it a bit more realistic and challenging.

The difference is pretty simple really... BF BC2 isn't a deathmatch game, it's a strategy game.

The goal in CoD is to run around and shoot people without getting shot. No teamwork, no strategy, just run around and shoot stuff.
The goal in BF games is to win using teamwork and strategy. If you're on a crappy team, or don't play with some kind of strategy (run and shoot doesn't work, in case you haven't noticed) then you will die a lot and not have much fun. Join a squad with higher ranking players and support/follow them.

I have also been on shitty teams where we just get owned and I end up 1:1 or worse .5:1, but that is rare and it usually requires a team that is half snipers or something stupid like that.
Did you fall down and not die or something? :D

COD is more like unreal tournament or Quake and Battlefield is more like Counter-Strike or Rainbow Six so you should be able to figure out which type of game you like more based on which old games you liked.

BF is more about strategy and positioning and COD is more about running fast and aiming fast.

Im a HUGE CSS fan. I have 2x as many hours into CSS than all the COD's combined. I dont think you can Compare CSS to Battlefield.

Back