Just built new rig, first bootup BIOS temp reads 35C; too high for q6600 + TRUE...?

orijinal

n00b
New rig just booted up, and the BIOS reads 35C for the CPU. It's a G0 Q6600 being cooled by the TRUE black with scythe. I would've expected these temperatures from the stock fan, but not this

I'm running a mATX P5Q-VM mobo, 4gb DDR2 ram, XFX gtx 260 216 black, and WD Caviar 7200 sata 500gb. It's built to be a gaming rig.

Is this too high a temp for now? Should I let the paste break it? Just used that new version 2 paste that came with the TRUE black (It was awful to spread; it was like cement!), but I believe it was spread and seated correctly. The True even feels cold/fine to the touch, has been running now for for 30 minutes.

Should I trust the BIOS temp? Let it run for a while and run RealTemp? Tips? Thanks...

That is pretty high for Bios temp, but I would use Core Temp or Real temp or Everest to read some idle/load temps before worrying.

It's fine, check with Real / Core Temp, if it's still "too high" -- depending on ambient you may just be expecting too much -- reseat the HSF, and if that doesn't work, lapp the bottom of the TRUE.

It's fine, check with Real / Core Temp, if it's still "too high" -- depending on ambient you may just be expecting too much -- reseat the HSF, and if that doesn't work, lapp the bottom of the TRUE.

If you lap the TRUE, you'll want to lap the CPU as well. Or else you'll have a flat TRUE and a concave IHS on the CPU.

Just got back, will check everything after updating and setting up the software. Thanks.

Well, first off, is your case well ventilated?

Second, run your cpu under full load for 15-20 minutes and take the temps.

If your TRUE feels cool to the touch, and feels about ambient temperature, that doesn't mean your cpu isn't hot. In fact, it often means the opposite, that none of the heat from your cpu is being transferred or dispersed by the heatsink. If none of the heat from the cpu is getting transfered to the heatsink, it means that all the heat is staying in the cpu, making the cpu hot, yet none is being transfered to the heatsink, making the heatsink stay cool.

Anyone know if the stock thermal compound is good quality? If not, this could be a contributer.

Anyone know if the stock thermal compound is good quality? If not, this could be a contributer.

It's some of the best, at very least on the level with MX-2 or AS5. Of course, there's no guarantee the OP didn't apply it incorrectly or apply too much.

OP here, case is pretty well ventilated. I'm using a p180 mini and the CPU is in the middle of all those fans.

I was applying it pretty normally, I'm sure I applied it as well as I can with what I had to work with. I just trying to cover it up with a thin coat, spreading in one even direction. I've worked with AS in the past and compared to the compound I was working with from Thermalright, the Therm. was definitely thicker. It kept spotting on the cpu and just was too thick. I also put a little thin layer on the TRUE to fill in the micropores.
Had to keep re-applying some on the CPU, though. I figured it was good enough at the end.
AS in comparison to my experience felt more... liquidy, and easier to use.

I'm wondering if it's the BIOS that is just wacky. Been running it all day doing updates and playing a few games; also downloaded RealTemp but haven't calibrated it (not sure how to; I'm a noob with this software). If it means anything, RealTemp reads 18-24 across all 4 during idle. Since it's not calibrated, I'm not sure what to make of this, but it is definitely better than what the BIOS was showing.

I am also a complete noob to OC'ing, but I would like to with my Q6600. I've been trying to read up a few things but have to admit I'm scared/confused about it right now. Thanks for the tips...

If your TRUE feels cool to the touch, and feels about ambient temperature, that doesn't mean your cpu isn't hot. In fact, it often means the opposite, that none of the heat from your cpu is being transferred or dispersed by the heatsink. If none of the heat from the cpu is getting transfered to the heatsink, it means that all the heat is staying in the cpu, making the cpu hot, yet none is being transfered to the heatsink, making the heatsink stay cool.

so that's how it's supposed to work. i thought "heatsink" was some kind of gang name ;)

I'm trying to learn how to OC, but am stuck trying to figure out how to change the fsb:dram ratio. there doesn't seem to be a setting on my p5q-vm

Hmm... well, I now after resetting my computer won't even boot. It turns on and the monitor stays in sleep mode.

:-p

I was ready to reset it but then saw the jumper was tucked in RIGHT below my gigantic graphics card and some of my neat cable management from the PSU. I'd have to remove it and such, which I was just too tired to consider at that point. Will try in a little bit, after I've woken up some more!

I'm trying to drop the voltage on my CPU to 1.27, and I set that in BIOS. However, when I run cpu-z on the desktop, it still reads that it's going at 1.35. What's the deal?

35C is perfectly fine imho. But I primarily use AMD cpus where 40-50 is normal on stock, and we shoot for 30s in after market. :D

^Alright, great!

Running 333 FSB right now at 1.288V, after crashing on lower voltages. Prime95 has been running for the past 30 min w/ no crashes yet...

Keep pushing. Make sure you do the Short FFT test to stress the cpu, and blend to check northbridge and memory.

Running at 360 FSB, 1.416 V... Core temps 38-45 running under blend for the past 10 minutes. Will let it run.

Prime95 running on long for 7 hours, 57-57-54-54 on the cores on full load.
25-32 right now on 0% load.

CPU Ratio: 9
FSB Frequency: 360
CPU Voltage: 1.425
DRAM Voltage: 2.1
NB Voltage: 1.4

I think these are pretty good, the system appears stable. Thoughts?

Prime95 running on long for 7 hours, 57-57-54-54 on the cores on full load.
25-32 right now on 0% load.

CPU Ratio: 9
FSB Frequency: 360
CPU Voltage: 1.425
DRAM Voltage: 2.1
NB Voltage: 1.4

I think these are pretty good, the system appears stable. Thoughts?

You said your running blend.. you need to run SmallFFT for stability of a CPU not Blend.

Also in your original post you said 35 at idle with true that is perfectly acceptable and nothing wrong.

You said your running blend.. you need to run SmallFFT for stability of a CPU not Blend.

Also in your original post you said 35 at idle with true that is perfectly acceptable and nothing wrong.

These temps are from running on long, I was running blend earlier for 3 hours or so but had to leave so I didn't leave it on.

These temps are from running on long, I was running blend earlier for 3 hours or so but had to leave so I didn't leave it on.

Well if your using smallfft and after 7 hrs both cores are chugging away I'd say your system is probably fairly stable.. I say fairly because even tho I find P95 or Orthos good as a stability checker.. if by chance you decide to fold that is when you'll see if a system is truly stable.

Looks good then, but you can't quit at 9 X 360, you need to hit 3.6GHz! So far your temps are fine and the volatge is still ok. Keep pushing it, you can hit 3.6!!! (Just don't go much above 1.5v and as long as the temps stay under 72c you should be dafe IMHO). Here's my Q6600 @ 3.6GHz, it's been 100% stable since I got done tweaking it which was several months ago.

3.6%2012hrs%20stable.jpg

@MastaFlash Nice. I was def. considering that, but wasn't sure if I wanted it to run that hot.
Right now I'm thinking that it's running a little hot considering my setup, and I'm not sure if my ram can support going further. (I've got a TRUE black + 2x 120 fans, a huge 220 fan on the top of the case and then the 120 exhaust fan in the back; they're all surrounding the PC area). I'm still bugging out if these temps are too high considering what I have cooling it.

55-58c seems right for where you are now. Your ram shouldn't be running any faster than PC6400 as long as you set the FSB : DRAM ratio right (should be 1:1, then @ 400 FSB your ram is running at PC6400, if FSB : DRAM ratio is 1:1 then basically your ram runs at what ever your FSB is, muliplied by two i.e FSB 266 = ram 533, FSB 333 = ram 667, FSB 400 = ram 800).

So far your temps and volts are well within the safe ranges.

Hmm, well... Thing is, I can't find out how to set the FSB:DDRAM ratio. I think it's just set on auto. I'm running on a P5Q-VM board and there is no setting for this, for the VID voltage, and a couple other things.

CPU-Z telling me my FSB:DRAM ratio is 4:5

Hmm. Well even at 4:5 your ram will be running @ PC8000 @ 400FSB, if you have a good kit of ram you should be able to do this, what ram are you using?

Bah, I don't have the link since I'm in the car now. It's an OCZ ddr2 800 sli-ready edition from NewEgg. Also, what is up with CPU-Z Saying my memory is single channel???

Make sure you have the memory plugged into the right slots. Either both in yellow or both in black.

I know that kit of memory, that is an awesome kit. I've had three kits and they all easily did 1000MHz+ @ 2.1v 5-5-5-15. Unless you are very unlucky or they changed the chips they were using in that kit it will easily hit 1000MHz.

Good luck!

Thanks again for the reply. Are you sure the colors had to match? I don't have my manual with me right now of course, but when assembling it looked like I had to just put it in the first yellow and first black closest to the CPU. I'll have to double check as the manual isn't pulling up online on my phone.

That's why it's single channel, because one is in the black slot and one in the yellow. If you put both in the yellow or both in the black then it will show up as dual channel. I have a P5Q Pro and it's the same layout.

Back