just built my new pc what temp should cpu be

niceplace

Weaksauce
Ive just finished my new build, i asked awhile back for some help choosing between amd 64 3000+ and 3200+ socket 939. I went with the 3200+ and im just wondering what temp it should be at. Its first start up was about an hour ago no os loaded. I left it running for about an hour just to make sure all was ok and apart from the front panel leds not working and an error on the post screen (more about that in a minute) all seems ok. I had the bios on screen showing cpu temp and it was 40c to 42c is this ok, its got stock amd hsf installed and case (jeantech butterfly 2) has 1 80 mil fan at front and 1 at rear. Ive done the wiring pretty neat so theres no obstruction to air flow. The case also has a cicular vent left side buttom rear and another vent further up which has a blue duct which looks as though its intended for one of those hot running intel critters. Here is the error im getting reported on post screen

PXE-E61 media test failure, check cable
PXE-MCF: exiting pxe rom

Is it anything to worry over or should i see what happens after ive loaded os and drivers. Here,s the spec, not the fastest but a big improvement over its predecessor

Case Jeantech butterfly 2

amd 64 3200+ venice

1gb 2x 512mb corsair value select

120gb 7200 sata hard drive

msi k8n neo 2 platinum

niceplace said:
Ive just finished my new build, i asked awhile back for some help choosing between amd 64 3000+ and 3200+ socket 939. I went with the 3200+ and im just wondering what temp it should be at. Its first start up was about an hour ago no os loaded. I left it running for about an hour just to make sure all was ok and apart from the front panel leds not working and an error on the post screen (more about that in a minute) all seems ok. I had the bios on screen showing cpu temp and it was 40c to 42c is this ok, its got stock amd hsf installed and case (jeantech butterfly 2) has 1 80 mil fan at front and 1 at rear. Ive done the wiring pretty neat so theres no obstruction to air flow. The case also has a cicular vent left side buttom rear and another vent further up which has a blue duct which looks as though its intended for one of those hot running intel critters. Here is the error im getting reported on post screen

Is it anything to worry over or should i see what happens after ive loaded os and drivers. Here,s the spec, not the fastest but a big improvement over its predecessor

Case Jeantech butterfly 2

amd 64 3200+ venice

1gb 2x 512mb corsair value select

120gb 7200 sata hard drive

msi k8n neo 2 platinum

seems ok, What kinda Thermal Compound you using, stock?. Im getting 41c in the bios with my clawhammer... :)

Thanks, glad to hear temps ok. No compound as such just the sticky pad that comes already on the heatsink. Have you any idea what is the maximum temp these cpu,s can run safely at.

Ive found an answer to my question regarding

it seems the pc is trying to boot from a network, so hopefully when i install os etc and set boot order in bios it will disappear.

Thanks Eclipse, the processor is the retail boxed version with 3yr guarantee so i was a bit worried about altering the heatsink by taking the thermal pad of it. Do you know what would be the average temp for my 3200+ would be say if i was just doing some surfing plus the usual background apps av / firewall etc.

probably around 30-40c, depending on case airflow and ambient temps. i'd be worried when load temps get over 60-65c :eek:

since you have that warrentee, and the heatsink is already on, i'd just leave it :D

since you have that warrentee, and the heatsink is already on, i'd just leave it

I think i will, seeing how one of the MSI utilities i installed was showing cpu temp at 37%c.

Back