Just bought Samsung Q60 43 inch and called it a day

MelonSplitter

[H]ard|Gawd
I gotta say that all the confusion surrounding my monitor choices that I had to research before I purchased left me with a freakin migraine. I just said, what the heck and bought the Samsung Q60 43 inch TV. I gotta say guys, I couldn't be happier. I know it's only 60hz but it is all I need ATM. After changing the settings to my satisfaction, Wow. Beautiful! 444 chroma subsampling and 4k. I've been rocking my QNIX 2710LED long enough

Attachments

• 20190714_164023.jpg
    20190714_164023.jpg
    621.3 KB · Views: 0
Nice! I'm thinking seriously about pulling the trigger on one for my new monitor. Been using a 40" Samsung MU7000 since early 2017. Pretty good, but that 43" QLED is chanting my name. :ROFLMAO:

Nice! I'm thinking seriously about pulling the trigger on one for my new monitor. Been using a 40" Samsung MU7000 since early 2017. Pretty good, but that 43" QLED is chanting my name. :ROFLMAO:
Upgrading from my QNIX 2710LED is jaw dropping. What don't you like about your MU7000?

Upgrading from my QNIX 2710LED is jaw dropping. What don't you like about your MU7000?
It's decent, but it's never been really great. I used a 49" Samsung KS8500 for about year, but it just was too big for a desktop monitor. I got a lot of neck strain from looking up at it all the time. The 40" MU7000 is much better, ergonomically, but it's picture was quite a step back from the KS8500.

The new Q60R is the first under 50" QLED so it's been on my radar since it was first released. I haven't seen any reviews or videos of it though. Your thoughts are the first I've seen.

It's decent, but it's never been really great. I used a 49" Samsung KS8500 for about year, but it just was too big for a desktop monitor. I got a lot of neck strain from looking up at it all the time. The 40" MU7000 is much better, ergonomically, but it's picture was quite a step back from the KS8500.

The new Q60R is the first under 50" QLED so it's been on my radar since it was first released. I haven't seen any reviews or videos of it though. Your thoughts are the first I've seen.
I eliminated neck strain by resizing the window and adjusting windows 10 scaling to 125 in the display settings. Text is sharp as a knife.

Here is a review
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q60-q60r-qled

Do you consider 49" under 50"? I am serious, no sarcasm because I found this great QLED at 49" I think I might buy this instead!

Does it have an sRGB mode? Those colors look overblown on my screen. To each their own though - congratulations.

Do you consider 49" under 50"? I am serious, no sarcasm because I found this great QLED at 49" I think I might buy this instead!
You mean the Q70? Unfortunately the 49" Q70 doesn't have Freesync support right now, as far as I know, while the Q60 does across all sizes. The Q70 does have a FALD, though, while the Q60 uses "HDR Ready" full frame dimming.

In my opinion 49" is just a little too large for desktop use, but it looks amazing if you game at that size. 43" is probably the perfect size for large screen desktop use.
Does it have an sRGB mode? Those colors look overblown on my screen. To each their own though - congratulations.
I'll have to agree. Could be the device used to take the picture, too. The green does look overblown, though, as it blends into everything else. I'm going to guess that the OP hasn't calibrated the picture yet.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
You mean the Q70? Unfortunately the 49" Q70 doesn't have Freesync support right now, as far as I know, while the Q60 does across all sizes. The Q70 does have a FALD, though, while the Q60 uses "HDR Ready" full frame dimming.

In my opinion 49" is just a little too large for desktop use, but it looks amazing if you game at that size. 43" is probably the perfect size for large screen desktop use.

I'll have to agree. Could be the device used to take the picture, too. The green does look overblown, though, as it blends into everything else. I'm going to guess that the OP hasn't calibrated the picture yet.
Yeah you're right, Its not calibrated. But, the colors are not overblown at all. This thing looks freakin amazing. I've had several "Quality" monitors in my lifetime and I again gotta say this ranks a close first.
But you know as well as I do, my freakin amazing might not be your freakin amazing right? I'll just enjoy it for the time being until DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.1 become standard.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
They cheaped out and didn't put Freesync on the 43" and 49" models or I'd seriously consider one.

Yeah you're right, Its not calibrated. But, the colors are not overblown at all. This thing looks freakin amazing. I've had several "Quality" monitors in my lifetime and I again gotta say this ranks a close first.
But you know as well as I do, my freakin amazing might not be your freakin amazing right? I'll just enjoy it for the time being until DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.1 become standard.

I guess it depends on what your target color space is. If you're using it for general computing and what-not, then I would say it's objectively over-saturated, assuming your camera is adequately capturing the output. :)

But *if* you like over-saturated colors (which, even though not accurate, do tend to pop) then that's a-okay by me. I was just curious to see if it had an sRGB mode. I have a Samsung too, and it has QLED. I'm currently using sRGB mode because the colors are correct when I do that. Putting it in native gamut is pointless unless I'm watching P3 stuff.

All that to say. If you like it, great! Have fun and enjoy.

You mean the Q70?
LOL yes the Q70, I forgot to post the link :)
Unfortunately the 49" Q70 doesn't have Freesync support right now, as far as I know, while the Q60 does across all sizes. The Q70 does have a FALD, though, while the Q60 uses "HDR Ready" full frame dimming.
Yes you are correct on all points, no Freesync on the 49" Q70
You might be right, maybe I will just buy the 43" Q60 and call it a day like the OP :)

The Q60 does have Freesync on all sizes, the Q70 does not.
⁷FreeSync™ technology reduces input lag, with less tearing and stuttering. VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) lets a gaming source deliver optimal video frame by each scene. FreeSync™ excluded on 49” or smaller Samsung TVs.

It says that on their website for the Q60. Is it wrong?

MelonSplitter, can you verify it has Freesync?

Last edited:
It says that on their website for the Q60. Is it wrong?

MelonSplitter, can you verify it has Freesync?
Damn, looks like you are correct though I could swear I read it had FreeSync. Even Armenius thought so.
You mean the Q70? Unfortunately the 49" Q70 doesn't have Freesync support right now, as far as I know, while the Q60 does across all sizes. The Q70 does have a FALD, though, while the Q60 uses "HDR Ready" full frame dimming
But I saw this in the rtings review
"Note that the 43" and 49" models do not support FreeSync."

The thing is, you'd be hard pressed to find something with equal picture quality to one of those Samsung TV's. I've been very happy with my KS8500 49".

how far away you sit from the tv? Im contemplating getting the 43" RU7400, which is very similar to the Q60 but cheaper, and use it as a full time pc monitor. I have never used a tv as a monitor so i dont know if i will like it or not. Im currently using an old Asus 27" 1080p 60hz monitor.

My "desk" (more like a table) is only 90 x 90 cm (35.5"x 35.5"), so i would be sitting about 3 feet away from the tv (thinking of getting a monitor arm to lower it at desk level and to have it the furthest away possible). Is that enough? I think my main problem is that there will be no space left on my desk for my speakers (Logitech Z623, 2.1 speakers)

and yes, its overwhelming to research about monitors / displays, I have been reading non-stop for the last couple of days and i change my mind every 5 min. So many options but nothing that ticks all boxes, i have thought of just adding another monitor to the one i have, UW, 32" 144hz QHD, 4k tvs, oled. Im currently leaning towards a 40" (not many options unfortunately) / 43" 4k tv

how far away you sit from the tv? Im contemplating getting the 43" RU7400, which is very similar to the Q60 but cheaper, and use it as a full time pc monitor. I have never used a tv as a monitor so i dont know if i will like it or not. Im currently using an old Asus 27" 1080p 60hz monitor.

My "desk" (more like a table) is only 90 x 90 cm (35.5"x 35.5"), so i would be sitting about 3 feet away from the tv (thinking of getting a monitor arm to lower it at desk level and to have it the furthest away possible). Is that enough? I think my main problem is that there will be no space left on my desk for my speakers (Logitech Z623, 2.1 speakers)

and yes, its overwhelming to research about monitors / displays, I have been reading non-stop for the last couple of days and i change my mind every 5 min. So many options but nothing that ticks all boxes, i have thought of just adding another monitor to the one i have, UW, 32" 144hz QHD, 4k tvs, oled. Im currently leaning towards a 40" (not many options unfortunately) / 43" 4k tv
3 feet would be perfect for a 43"

Reactions: dbgt
like this
I sat about 3' from my 49" KS8500. Interesting wrinkle though. I decided to try an Ultra-Wide 3440x1440 display. I've kind of slammed these for their lack of vertical space in the past, but I was in the mood to try something different as certain aspects of the 49" 4K TV began to wear on me. I figured I'd share my experiences as someone who had gone the 4K TV route and talk about what led me away from that.

There are a lot of people that go the 4K TV route. I did that for about the last three years. While I enjoyed the HDR, large size and overall picture quality, I couldn't do 60Hz without variable refresh anymore. I ended up getting an Alienware AW3418DW 34" Ultra-wide (3440x1440) display on the cheap. It's not perfect. I happen to like IPS displays as that's pretty much what I've always used and I'm glad to be off a glossy screen. With G-Sync, my games are smooth without the lag introduced by V-Sync. Ultimately, this is a stop gap. I'm waiting for a 120Hz+ HDR capable 4K screen that's about 40-43" in size. To me, that's an ideal setup. I found the 49" TV to be decent, but honestly it was too big for anything but playing games. I couldn't use the upper corners and I ended up craning my neck sometimes without even realizing it. At 5AM, when you are trying to finish a review before an embargo lifts you deal with it, but I had had enough of that. So for gaming my problem was simply smoothness or lack of it. For productivity, it was more positive than not, but not being able to see the corners, moving my head excessively etc. was beginning to really annoy me.

Since installing Windows 10 Build 1903, I've had to reset the input type on the TV every time I started Windows. HDR is a mess as sometimes it enables it on the desktop. It worked great in games, but again, 60Hz and no VRR sucks. Without V-Sync my games weren't smooth. With V-Sync, well if you understand the limitations of V-Sync it's easy to figure out why I hated using it. Every monitor is a compromise right now. You just have to pick and choose what you are willing to sacrifice. I may end up returning this display and trying something else, but for now its working well.

I'm currently on a 40JU7500 and I've been eyeing a larger replacement. It sucks that the Q60 have no local dimming at all while the Q6 at least have edge dimming but even that got lower rating for dimming than my JU7500. I'm tempted to go for the Q70 with FALD but the 49" size maybe a problem. I still have about 18" of space behind the JU7500 but I don't know if that will be enough. Or I can wait for the ASUS/Acer 43" HDR monitor coming later this year but I do like having a tuner and all the apps on the TV without having to use the PC.

Last edited:
I'm currently on a 40JU7500 and I've been eyeing a larger replacement. It sucks that the Q60 have no local dimming at all while the Q6 at least have edge dimming but even that got lower rating for dimming than my JU7500. I'm tempted to go for the Q70 with FALD but the 49" size maybe a problem. I still have about 18" of space behind the JU7500 but I don't know if that will be enough. Or I can wait for the ASUS/Acer 43" HDR monitor coming later this year but I do like having a tuner and all the apps on the TV without having to use the PC.

My plan is to use this Alienware now and upgrade to the ASUS / Acer 43" HDR option later. I'll probably give this to the girlfriend or move it to my test bench. I'm not sure.

so many ultra def basher here, you don't understand how uhd actual hz is displayed works because you don't own one.
my eyesight improved on my current 4k 43" set, things are going to get better when I can vsync fast this well enough in about 2 week, go figure

Could you please explain yourself? and please slow down.

Back