Just bought Oblivion. Install mods right away?

johnnq

[H]ard|Gawd
should i start playing through the game as sold, or should i install mods? fileplanet has lots and lots of mods, but should i bother with any?

first of all, screw fileplanet. Get them here: http://www.tessource.net/files/

Second, yeah you should install some visual upgrade mods like the qarls texture pack, natural environments, illumination within and illumination without, and any LOD texture replacement.

As for gameplay altering mods, you may want to play it as is and then decide what you want to be changed after you get some experience

do the graphics mods intend to cripple my 7800gt even more? are there any dual core patches or optimizations?

Play it for a bit and then mod according to your tastes and impressions. However, some of the race/character mods would want to be installed first, so you can create an avatar that doesn't look like a total scoper, and people won't go around looking all blotchy and bubonic, too.

i've noticed that the game crashes any time i alt tab...kinda annoying.

do the graphics mods intend to cripple my 7800gt even more? are there any dual core patches or optimizations?

Qarl's texture pack 3 will bring your 7800gt to its knees. You may be fine with texture pack 1/2 as I remember running them with my 7800gt. Follow CodeX's link as that site is great for Oblivion mods. May also want to check out the official forums (http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showforum=25).

i've noticed that the game crashes any time i alt tab...kinda annoying.

That is a fault of the game.

First of all, patch it if you haven't. Then install the lastest version of the BTMod, which is the only must have mod. I'd recommend playing it just like that, then mod it up when you replay the game later. That way you will have more replay value out of the game. If you can find the Knights of the Nine on CD cheap somewhere, I'd recommend that as well, before you mod it. It has some neat things and a couple of nice quests. I hear some of them don't work well with some mods, so playing through all of that content first is a good idea. I picked the CD up for $10 and played it all through with the BTMod installed with no issues. It's well worth the extra $10. I'm playing Oblivion through for the 4th or 5th time since I bought the game when it was released. Each time I play it for 50 - 100 hours or more, so it's definitely a game you'll want to play again.

I really like the old school grid style inventory mod. BTmod is also essential.

And I play with Qarl's Tp3 on my 6800GS with 20-30 fps.

I thought it was fixed with the first patch?

If you are referring to the crashes: they somehwat fixed the crashes when exiting Oblivion properly. Alt + Tab is still a problem for most, if not all.

And I play with Qarl's Tp3 on my 6800GS with 20-30 fps.

If his 7800GT is the 256MB version then it will not be an enjoyable experience for him. TP3 sometimes uses above 650MB VRAM. Mods such as Streamline should ease the pain though.

Back