JUST bought new Laptop, Haswell out in a week..

NathanP2007

[H]ard|Gawd
Of course its my luck that my family just went out and bought (yesterday!) 3 laptops lol. Envy 15's, core i5's. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ENVY+15...703056&st=hp envy dv6&cp=1&lp=10#tab=overview

I wouldn't really care THAT much except from the little i have read so far on Haswell, it looks like battery life in laptops (and tablets) is making a huge jump (intel says the biggest jump ever?). Technically if BestBuy releases in the next ...idk less than a month, a new HP Envy 15 i think i can take it in and return it (30 day no questions ask return or something) and get the new one. But then im rolling the dice on a new CPU/Mobo architecture, which could have bugs or manufacturer flaws...

What do you guys think? What would you do?

I probably would return it, the new sleep states promise to deliver a lot of power savings (standby-like power consumption while idling plus the screen, and next to no power in standby). That's if the prices are comparable.

No offense but Haswell release hasn't exactly been a secret. Its been in tech blogs for years now, with release ETA known for the past 9 months.

I probably would return it, the new sleep states promise to deliver a lot of power savings (standby-like power consumption while idling plus the screen, and next to no power in standby). That's if the prices are comparable.

That will be the key, if they release the new HP Envy 15 (which isn't a guarantee they will but i would assume they will) and its $150 more than the one's we bought...i dont think i would upgrade. Or maybe I would but not the other two Envy's we bought (mother and brother). But if its like $50 more than i could see bringing all three in and swapping them.

Does anyone have BestBuy knowledge/experience on if they do have a return for any reason money back 1-4 week thing? This is kinda a mute point if they dont have one at all.

No offense but Haswell release hasn't exactly been a secret. Its been in tech blogs for years now, with release ETA known for the past 9 months.

Ya but i dont really follow that when im not looking, and the laptop purchasing was spur of the moment and i didnt even think of Haswell.

Last edited:
return it. The battery life for mobile is the entire reason Haswell exists.

So this is BestBuy's Return & Exchange Period
15 days for all eligible products
60 days for eligible products for Reward Zone® program Premier Silver members

....what sucks is if HP doesn't make any announcements about Haswell Envy 15's, and if Best-Buy wont have them for like a month or something :/

Found this: http://www.itbusiness.ca/blog/hp-unveils-new-haswell-powered-pavilion-envy-laptops/34846

It talks about Envy TouchSmart 15, hopefully they make a non-touch Envy 15 with Haswell. What has me worried is the "still far enough away to not know battery life" and that article is a week old....might confirm my fear they are at least a few weeks if not a month or two from being sold in stores.

Update: Just read this in the article "If you want that PC experience in a notebook then the HP Envy 17 might be for you. Packing Intel’s Haswell tech, with a 17.3 inch screen, it includes up to 2 TB of hard drive storage for all your digital file needs and the same speaker setup Beats Audio included as that found on the 15. It truly represents PC power in a notebook form and it goes on sale on June 5th for $699." Im confused as to how thats $699 and the one i bought at BB is $679 and is a 15 inch with 700Gb HDD etc...but oh well. Im happy to read that. Hopefully a 15 inch version as well comes out soon, if not i can see just me getting the 17...though id hate to own a 17 laptop full HD screen and it not have Bluray drive...can you buy a bluray drive (internal) for laptops and replace the included internal DVD drive?

Last edited:
It seems this is what Haswell was made for,laptops etc.Anyone in the market for a laptop now,Haswell would be the way to go.

Well, take this as a lesson for next time. Buying three laptops in a spur of the moment, as you said, without doing any research, was not the best move IMO. Of course I have OCD when it comes to buying any electronics. And I enjoy spending countless hours reading tech blogs and reviews. ;)

Well, take this as a lesson for next time. Buying three laptops in a spur of the moment, as you said, without doing any research, was not the best move IMO. Of course I have OCD when it comes to buying any electronics. And I enjoy spending countless hours reading tech blogs and reviews. ;)

Oh no i am totally that way, and it wasnt "No" research, i did a lot. I just didnt think to research the age of the laptop or anything about Haswell. But if a site i found saying the Envy 15 and 17 come out on June 5th is right, it will be no problem to go back and return them and trade them in for the new ones.

Only two things will be:

1) How high is the risk of issues with the new laptop?

2) What will the pricing be. For some really weird reason the site says the Envy 15 will be $549 and the 17 at $699. Why is that weird? Cause the Envy 15 (i5 Ivy-Bridge) from Best-Buy was $650.
(My current assumption is the pricing the articles say is MSRP, and the stores raise them, and also the Best-Buy specific variations might have a bit higher specs than the base models so their prices are higher).

NotebookCheck.net: HP also unveiled new 15.6-inch Envy 15 and 17.3-inch Envy 17 models, the ultra high-resolution option will only be available for the 14-inch model. The larger models are largely identical with Haswell CPU options as well, save for additional discrete Nvidia graphics options and dual 2.5-inch SATA bays for the 17-incher. This gamer-centric model will double the audio hardware by including four speakers and two subwoofers driven by the manufacturer's trademarked Beats Audio software.

Both the Envy 15 and Envy 17 will launch June 5 starting for $529 and $699, respectively. The ultra high-resolution Envy 14 will ship a few weeks later on June 26 for a yet to be announced starting price

Back