Just bought my first Cisco switch

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Needed POE for my 11 IP cams and the Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560G-48PS-S @ $150 used on eBay seemed to be the best bang for the buck. Got it installed and working with zero issues. It powers all 11 cams without breaking a sweat. (25%). Plus, I was able to remove 2 HP 24 ports switches from my network as the Cisco rendered them redundant. So now I'm, wondering why it was so cheap. I know it's old tech and it doesn't have the latest 802.3at but at this point I don't need it. All in all I'm well pleased with it. :cool:

Needed POE for my 11 IP cams and the Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560G-48PS-S @ $150 used on eBay seemed to be the best bang for the buck. Got it installed and working with zero issues. It powers all 11 cams without breaking a sweat. (25%). Plus, I was able to remove 2 HP 24 ports switches from my network as the Cisco rendered them redundant. So now I'm, wondering why it was so cheap. I know it's old tech and it doesn't have the latest 802.3at but at this point I don't need it. All in all I'm well pleased with it. :cool:

Lack of SSH and EOL for software / vulnerability updates.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/produ...lyst-3750-series-switches/eol_c51-696372.html

As an end user you probably don't care, but someone who would be running these types of switches in production certainly isn't going to use them as you can't pass any compliance testing.

Still perfect for a home lab tho. Much better than consumer grade POE switches I presume.

3560's are getting pretty lonnnngggg in the tooth, so cost is coming down. Also for reference, in my last lab I used 3750's that I picked up for under $200 for the pair. Non-poe, but still $150 for the 3650 w/POE sounds about right. Have fun, they are good gear. If its loud you can probably disconnect the fans without it overheating (FYI)

3560's are getting pretty lonnnngggg in the tooth, so cost is coming down. Also for reference, in my last lab I used 3750's that I picked up for under $200 for the pair. Non-poe, but still $150 for the 3650 w/POE sounds about right. Have fun, they are good gear. If its loud you can probably disconnect the fans without it overheating (FYI)

Thanks. Compared to the Quanta LB6M in the same rack, the 3650 is silent. I was surprised how quiet it is.

I have had a few catalyst switches, half were silent the other half were like buzz saws. They got the fans disconnected pretty quick lol, ran it for years (low load) without a hiccup.

Still perfect for a home lab tho. Much better than consumer grade POE switches I presume.

Yes. Just don't enable the telnet or http interfaces as they have weak / no encryption to them and you should be fine. It's no big deal for you to plug a console cable into one switch to manage it. If you had 100 switches there is no practical way to support them anymore.

3650's aren't too bad for noise, but on the flip side they are quite power hungry compared to modern switches. Expect that switch to consume > 60W just to have it powered on and nothing plugged into it. In your case it was probably a wash, but if you had a new 16 port POE switch it might be <10W under a normal load. If you figure a 3 year TCO if it cost an extra $5 a month to power one of those over brand new switch, it would cost more in electricity than the switch itself. ($180 for power and $150 for the switch) So while they are fun to play with, they are not all that practical if you are just using it as a glorified power injector. If you are going to use the VLAN / routing capabilities of the switch then it's definitely worthwhile to have.

Back